Fairchase Archery Lion!

jasn

I finally got a shot of a lifetime at a lion with my bow!

I was archery deer hunting (Kiabab) and seeing some nice bucks the past two weeks, but holding out for a big guy due to a late muzzy hunt that I finally drawn. I'd already passed on a smaller 4 point, several small bucks, and had scouted several water sources that looked like they had a number of deer coming into. I really liked the look of a particular tank, so I decided to sit it the next morning.

I got out a little late, so I sat for only about 30 minutes and a doe and fawn had already come in to drink. About 45 minutes later I was day-dreaming when looked over at the water and saw a cat only about 10 yards from it sneaking in slowly! I always carry a lion tag "just in case" but have never had an opportunity or seen a cat this close, so I was immediately excited, very, very excited!

She stopped and looked around twice, at me both times and around the tank, but I held still and the wind was in my face so I waited. She continued and stopped again a second time, but then proceeded to the water. When she bent down to drink, I began to draw thinking of course she would look up and bounce off. When I came to a full draw she was still drinking, and a warm spell came over me and the shakes were gone! I put my pin behind her shoulder and released. I watched and heard the arrow hit her hard, thud! She sprang straight up in the air about 4 feet, landed, and immediately ran down hill the direction she'd come in.

I knew it was a good hit but I couldn't wait but more than 5 minutes I was so excited and shaking again now. I began to sneek to the water and found my arrow completely covered in very thin red blood, it was a comforting and reassuring sight! I slowly backed out and hiked to the truck to get help from some guys back at camp.

By the time we arrived back at the tank it must have been an hour later, and we all began to track the blood trail. It was slim since she was moving so fast, but we finally found her down the hill only 80 yards! I was ecstatic, holding my cat in my own hands in admiration of such a beautiful animal. Everyone congratulated me and we took about 150 pictures! I couldn't believe it, after 12 years of hunting and buying a tag "just in case" I'd finally got a lion, with a bow no less! And I'm still excited just telling the story! :7

4519a86d4910798e.jpg

4519a8414833cf7a.jpg

4519a8194784db88.jpg

Dude,

You just found the needle in the haystack. You did what many would call "impossible".

You better go to Vegas this weekend amigo cuz you just won the lottery!!

Congrats!! Savor the moment, it's a rare one indeed. Great pics!

Smiley,

Just a thought, maybe because there were no hounds involved in the shot and he was deer hunting and had the tag for the cat. Nothing else involved just him and the cat and his choice to shoot, seams fair chase to me.

Brian

Congrats on the lion Jasn, what a fortunate opportunity. Gotta agree with Smiley here though, or maybe I'm reading too much into this but are using dogs not fair? Sweet deal on the cat.

--Bill

Sorry, I didn't mean to start a debate but don't read into it too much. I didn't mean to offend anyone. I guess I should have titled it "no hounds involved", but I'm not saying anything negative about using hounds or that hounds are "un"-fair either. I'd love to go on a hound-lion hunt, and I know they're much more difficult than most think, just don't have the resources. Just super excited about shooting a lion WITHOUT the use of hounds, that's all!

Jasn has cleared this us, thanks. I don't archery hunt or hunt Lions and never have. I have nothing against hounds, heck, my grandfather and uncle used them for years in their work as trappers & Govt Hunter. I JUST figured that with no hounds is what he meant by fair chase. Sorry I got you upset, not meant to by all means.

Brian

LAST EDITED ON Sep-27-06 AT 10:41AM (MST)[p]I understood what you meant - no dogs - and yeah "fairchase" may be the wrong term because actually without dogs it is probably quite the opposite - not fair for the hunter! Great job - that is a very rare feat indeed! She looks pretty young - have you had her aged? Also was this in UT or AZ?

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

Anyhow like I said great job at being in the right place at the right time and not blundering it with a bad draw or something else . Some might think just dumb luck but you still had plenty chances to blow it. And you DID'NT so good job.
I was not upset or offended just seeing if I should be .:)

Great job Jasn!! You just did something the majority of hunters will have a hard time duplicating and with a bow makes it just a little harder to boot! Congrats again and that cat will make a beautiful mount!!

Big congrats to you!

That cat has some nice features on its face too.

Chef
"I Love Animals...They're Delicious!"

Not only a needle in the haystack.....but awesome shot placement. BIG TIME CONGRATS.

BOHNTR )))---------->

Nice Job and nice shot!! I buy a tag every year also and have only seen the tail of a cat one time. I'm sure cats have seen me many times. I had a friend two years ago come out and hunt the Kaibab archery deer season and had a cat the first morning in his tree stand lay down in front of him for 20 minutes. He had no tag and just enjoyed the view. Probably never happen again. Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that is great I hope someday I may get an opportunity to hunt them just the fact you saw one is cool but the fact you took one is amazing great job
THE LORD IS MY ROCK
NRA LIFE MEMBER
HUNTING PASS IT ON

Congrats on a very special accomplishment! A buddy of mine here in NM did much the same thing, sat water and had 3 lions come in to water at the same time. He took one out with his trad bow at close range.

Congrats on your cat . What an awesome experiance , and you dang sure put the hurt on with a great shot, your arrow placement was ideal.Again , congrat on a great trophy , will look real good in your trophy room/wall. Thamnks for sharing it and hope you have many more years of great fortune....Larry

The funny thing about the shot placement, was that I normally would have aimed a bit lower and forward. However, she was crouched down drinking and her elbow was tucked rearward, the way cats do sometimes when drinking. If you can picture that position and look at the picture, you can see that I was forced to aim just above and slightly rear of her elbow, and hit exactly where I was aiming! I was SO PUMPED after I watched it smack her, and she sprang straight up in the air about 2-3 feet and when she came down she ran as quickly as she could!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom