Far NE Montana???

finnman

I am going to be up around Medicine Lake, Plentywood and Scobey the 1st week of August, helping out with our church group. Since I am already there I thought I might snoop around for a place to hunt deer this fall. How is that area doing as far as numbers? How is the quality? I suppose I will find out in August, just thought someone might know something. Thanks!

The rifle hunt does not start till the last week in October. The bow hunt starts the first Saturday in September. If you are lucky you can get a non-res antelope tag are archery only and start around August 15th or so. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the season dates. I hunted around Winnett last year, I just figured since I would be out that way in Aug. I would look around a little. I would not be hunting till the 1st week of Nov. Has anyone had any experiance with the BMA's in the area?
A PM is fine!
Thanks

One thing you need to understand about BMA's in that area is that anything you scout in August will have been pounded by bird hunters from Sept 1st on.

Anything that even looks remotely like bird habitat will have had dogs and hunters run through nearly daily. Especially after Pheasants opens in Oct.

Nemont

Thanks for that bit of advice NE Mont....I guess if I like a place I will just knock on the door and ask to hunt.
I noticed in the regs that part of this area closes for bucks earlier than the general end of the season, is this because of population issues?? Lack of buck escapement?

The population is fine but the area is so wide open and access so easy hat every buck was getting whacked as a yearling. So the closure during the last two weeks of the season.

Nemont

What? Is this a poor, unfriendly church group? Find yourself a generous farmer in the group, of whom there ought to be a couple, and inquire. Or, head towards Opheim...those are good folks over that way...they would help you out.

The early buck closure may also be due to the area being with the boundaries of the Medicine Lake National Wildlife Refuge.

Wayne

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Montana Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Mule deer, whitetail, antelope, buffalo, and prairie dogs on private ranch leases totaling about 100,000 acres.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail and antelope and manage our ranches for top quality.

Vargo Hunting

Top quality bear, antelope and free range bison hunts on the Crow Indian Res. Turkey and cougar as well.

Back
Top Bottom