farm scars

D

driftersifter

I was at the C store getting gas and beer for the weekend and the cashier was missing his right pinkie to the farm so to speak. I have my farm scars, they are mostly visual. One that was more hands on than I needed, was when I was 12 yrs old and decided to help the local sale barn load some 500 pounders into a trailer. I got too close and one steer let out a jump kick and laid her in the homerun pouch. I went down on my backside rolling around in the fresh nervous squirts. The regulars laughed and joshed me for years afterward. My grandfather made me ride in the back of the truck home as the back of my crewcut down was covered.

driftersifter

Ask Bess about the time he tried to get horizontal with the PTO on his john deere after an all night bender. They were able to replace the unit (not the pto) with a baby elephant trunk. Trouble is, every time he goes to the movies it picks popcorn off the floor and shoves it into his stern.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

Quiet 1911!:D:D:D

We laugh, we cry, we love
Go hard when the going's tough
Push back, come push and shove
Knock us down, we'll get back up again and again
We are Members of the Huntin Crowd!

Eel has a bad scar on the back of his head from the boom man dropping the mic in Barnyard Fantasy 3 if that counts.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

I worked on a farm 2 summers 1975 and 76 in American Falls. My friend was riding on the pipe trailer after we unloaded the pipes to a field. He moved ahead a little and the tire hit his crotch. He was screaming and blood was spilling. His twig got cut a little. It was and wasn't funny.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-02-15 AT 12:46PM (MST)[p]Sorta farm related....just before I joined he Navy I worked for a farm supply store, we sold animal feed and some plant seed.

One of our machines was designed to grind up big cow cakes and reprocess them into tiny alfalfa based pellets for smaller animals.

It jammed. A lot. Rudy was working it was me day when it jammed. Normal procedure was to turn it off and unplug the jamb with a broom handle.

Rudy didn't turn it off and lost the little, ring and middle fingers of his right hand. It happened quickly.

Worked in hog farms/confinements while growing up and learned real fast that you breathe through your nose and talk with your mouth shut. Sign language was key. My farm scar is internal... (barf)

"Courage is being scared to death but
saddling up anyway."

How about FarmBoy/SchoolBoy Scars?

Them Count?

In High School We decided We'd all build ourselves a Billy Club on the Big Dinosaur Wood Lathe!

This Lathe was one Big Bastard!

I/We didn't know WTH we were doing but we were doing it anyways!

I decided the Rest/Bar for your cutting Tool must be Super Tight!

So I tightened the SOB with a Cheater!

I Knocked/Chucked a Rough Cut 4X4 made out of Cedar!

Kicked Big Bertha on!

And Evidently I picked the Wrong Tool!

That SOB Grabbed & Pulled my thumb in between the Rest & the Spinning Rough 4X4!

Blood & Meat Flying!

The two kids that were standing there watching both took off running!

Meat Gone clear to the F'N Bone & I'm not strong enough with one hand to back the Rest off that I had tightened earlier with a Cheater!

With No other choice & I knew it wasn't a good one I pushed the Off Button!

Do You know how F'N long it takes for the Big Lathe to slowly stop turning,GEEZUS!

The Slower it got the harder it was hitting my Thumb bone that has no Meat left on it!

GOOD GAWD it seemed like it took 45 minutes for Big Bertha to stop spinning!

Thought surely it was gonna rip my Thumb off before it was over with!

Did it Hurt?

DAMN Straight it did!

We laugh, we cry, we love
Go hard when the going's tough
Push back, come push and shove
Knock us down, we'll get back up again and again
We are Members of the Huntin Crowd!

Jump off a tractor and got my ring catch on the cab hung there for a second until I could get my other hand up to grab a hold of the edge and lift myself up, Don't wear rings much any more have a 1" scar around the knuckle where it started to tear off that finger.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

The scars i bare from being raised on a large cattle ranch and "Farm" are not the kind you see when my shirt comes off. Mine are more like the bits of wisdom passed and absorbed while being the only kid there when a group effort of my senior male relatives got together to build a special gate, or to learn from them the right way to cut in a new road, or maybe from just observing just how nice it is being part of a loving hard working family that may have had little in their pockets yet held their head as high as anyone else.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

I started young. I was about 5 years old and "helping" my dad work on a chicken coup. I ran to the shop to get a hammer for him and on the way back clothes lined myself on a strand of barb wire right at eye level. Tore my eyelid on one side and had blood streaming down my face. Luckily it just tore the eyelid and the eye was okay. A few stitches at the emergency room and I was good to go.

This didn't happen to me when I was about 6. But I know for a fact Farm yard Geese leave scars on the back of your head. Rutnbuck

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom