favorite caliber

freebird63

Am sure this topic has been through the mill more then once.
A little bit about me, I grew up on the Oregon coast hunting blacktail deer. Started out with a Marlin 30/30, tried a 30/06 hated it, 7mm-love it, 270-loved it. Then I moved to Idaho, barrowed a friends Sako 7mm-hated it, bought a weatherby 270win-never even shot it-ex wife hated guns, then got a new wife and got a remington model 700 syth/SS "300 SAUM"-love it, got the wife a savage 270 WSM-both of us hated it, then bought her a Remington 300 SAUM. We had to sell it to pay bills, but kept mine, my wife gets it and I am going to buy a new gun.
I am leaning towards a Sendero 300RUM, yes i know its a heavy gun. Would like to have a weatherby 30/378, but can't afford to buy ammo for that thing.
The gun I am going to buy is going to be a double duty gun, mule deer and elk.
I have been looking over ballastics, heck if I were rich I would have 10 of every gun I like.
So what does everyone out there like????

.22 lr. Quiet, reliable and will kill anything with good placement.
Eric
famousfigures_abevigoda.gif

Ultra liberal, wolf loving, illiterate, gay, hippie midgets on crack piss me off!!!!

deerline.gif

7mm Rem mag is my suggestion. I use it for deer and elk, works like a charm. Every deer I've shot with it only took one shot. The elk that I shot with it probably wouldn't have went far after first shot, but the second round put it down for good. The ballistics are good, it is a flat shooter, especially if you load your own rounds for it.

+1 on Gold Tip 5575

Nocked N Loaded

I'll jump in and go 7mm Mag as well. Shoot a good quality 160 gr bullet and it'll shoot flat enough and hit hard enough to whack just about anything. Loys of ammo choices as well.

You guys need to up your speed a little bit. I like my GT 7595s!

Seriously though..I was drooling over a 30-378 for over a year. I thought that was my next purchase (since everybody and their dog has a 300rum). But after some analysis, I couldn't get past how inefficient the 30-378 is. Soooooo much more powder, just for an additional 10% of speed/power....of which you don't really need for anything.

The .300 wby will easily plunk anything this side of the pond. Also, it's cheaper than most other Weatherby ammo, it's a bit more efficient than other double radius Weatherbys, and has a wide range of bullet options (.30 cal).

Plus it's a little different; but a classy and proven caliber

"...I'd rather be tried by twelve than carried by six..."

I think you answered your own question when you said, 7mm love it. I like my 7mm rem. mag, it's big enough for elk and piles up deer nicely.

I love my Ruger M77 300. I have some other rifles but always find myself hunting with the Ruger. My Remington 700 30-06 has been a great rifle to.

I bought a Winchester Model 70 300 sm featherlight and can't hit chit with it??? Prolly the shooter.

My favorite gun to shoot and dink around with is my Remington 700 22-250. heavy bull barrel with a laminated wood stock. My sons favorite to.

If I remember correctly, a Sendero has a heavy barrel, ...if you're going to be carrying this rifle a lot, which I'm sure you will unless you road hunt, why would you want all that extra weight? I wish I had a rifle that weighed 4 pounds or less, I hate a heavy rifle, there's no use for it that I can see. As for the caliber...you haven't said how far you're comfortable taking a shot.....if it's over 400 yards then you'll need something with some downrange wallop as in a magnum. Unless you're going to reload then I'd suggest a caliber that has a lot of offerings for bullet weight and composition and isn't too expensive to shoot, because you need to shoot a lot to get familiar with this new rifle. I shoot a Browning A-bolt synthetic stainless in 270 Win. I've had this rifle for about 12 years and love it. Good luck with whatever you choose.

I would have no problem taking a 400 yard shot. I don't think a 600 yard shot at an elk would be that tough. Something I would like to be able to do is be able to hit a 1 gallon jug at 1,000 yards. I would never shoot at an animal that far. I do reload, I found out in a hurry after buying that 300 RSAUM that I was going to have to reload if I wanted any ammo selection. When I bought my 300 the salesman tried to sell me on the 338 federal, that ammo is even harder to find then the 300 SAUM.
On another forum I found a sendero in the 7mm STW, but he is asking alot of money for it, am sure its worth it, but I can't afford that much. That caliber has some impressive ballastics.
I look at all these big magnums and really like them, but then I think back to my longest shot and that was only maybe 200 yards. So until I have the money in my hand its anybodies guess what I will end up with. Now I do know what scope I am getting. But for now am just looking for everyones input on different calibers.

I don't know how you could go wrong with any magnum 30 caliber....I love my RUM

Sit tall in the saddle, hold your head up high, keep your eyes fixed to where the trail meets the sky...

.280 is my favorite pill for everything from coyotes to Grizzly bear. I've never shot an animal twice.

Also a lightweight .280. Used 7mm mag. for many years and it was excellent. If you hunt rough country out of a backpack though, the weight savings of a lightweight .280 over a magnum action makes a difference, and handloaded it will come very close to FACTORY 7mm mag. loads. If you can afford it, a custom lightweight in .280 Ackley is the ideal in my mind.

Personally, I think people put too much emphasis on the gun, when the position and placement of the shot is what really matters. I shoot a Winchester model 70 30-06 and have had no trouble downing mule deer and elk. Shot my first elk this year using 180 grain federal factory loads, the cheapest ones on the shelf (17 bucks/box) and it went about 10 yards before crashing down dead. I think balistic tips are overrated and super expensive unless you are shooting competivily at targets, then that is a different story. Have shot the same 30-06 for over 10 years and have had no troubles. 130 grain for deer 180 grain for elk cant go wrong. I sure you could spend more money and get a little fancier but nothin gaurantees success in the field. My friend got his elk with a 25-06 last year, which is a pretty small load, and had no problems. Hit em in the vitals and dont take stupid shots and you'll better your odds. My next gun will be a 270 I think.

I would go with the Rem.700 in 300 RUM.You won't regret it. It is a tack driver right out of the box with factory ammo even and if you need it it will perform at long ranges also.Best gun I ever bought.

what...this far down the list and no one has mentioned the 338 win mag, it will take any four legged critter on earth and when ported kicks less than a 30-06. my favorite bullets are the 225 grain bonded accutip and federal 250 grain high energy nosler partition. both leave the muzzle around 2800 fps and both drop about 44 inches at 500 yards with pinpoint accuracy from a ruger m77 and brownells glass bedding kit for 30.00 that any body can do.

I love the 300 weatherby, with 165 gr.noslers for big mulies, or for elk and bear I load the 180 gr. accubond. forget about those 500 yd. shots, 300yds is the longest I try, and closer is better! Also the 338 win. mag. is great, by good hunting bud has shot one for years, and things die quickly when hit with it. You can't go wrong with either one.

I vote for the Sendero 300 rum

"Let's keep things in perspective.I mean for Peet's sake there are kids in Africa that don't even hunt....hello" Jimmy Big Time

Don't know my favorite yet, but every time I try a new one, I like it better than the previous one. Started out with a 30-06, then a 25-06, then a 7mm Rem Mag, and now a 300 WSM. Next?

Hopefully it is a 357 mag since I just ordered up a new lever gun in said caliber.

--I'm looking for a man... who calls himself Bucho! That's all! And you had to do it, the hard way!--

i shoot a rem model 700 in 25ot6 for deer and lope. rem model 700 in 300 rum for anything bigger than deer. for varmints and coyotes i use either my savage 110 243 or my rem model 700 223 or my rem model 700 17 fireball.

I could either get the 50 cal barrett or the 408 cheytac, that would reach out and touch them in the next county over or if your close enough to the border, say Southern Idaho and kill a muley down in Northern Nevada.

I have of alot of different calibers. And have killed game with all even if it was a prarie dog or coyote. I have became a fan of the wsm, I have a 270,300 and a 325. Killed 4 elk with the 300 and 2 bucks, one shot kills. This year I used my 270 wsm and shot 1 doe antelope 2 buck antelope ( colorado and wyoming) 1 muley buck 1 cow elk and killed a nice whitetail buck in wyoming with my 35 whelen. But I just bought another 257 roberts in the rem, cdl 700 (my christmas present)this will make 3 257 roberts for me. I love this calibrer, I have killed deer,elk and black bear with a 100grn nosler partion with no problem. I don't know how you hunt but I get way off the road and like a light rifle, this is why I like the short mag, you can get them in a light rifle and plenty of punch. In the 270 this year I was shooting 110 grn Barnes Triple Shock's 3500fps worked perfectly.

At first I liked the performance of the 270WSM, bought a savage for the wife, took it would shooting and the thing kicked like a mule, so we had a muzzle break put on it and it still kicked like a mule, it kicked more then my 300 SAUM. So she got rid of it and now has my 300 SAUM. Everyone has mentioned some really good choices. Only if I could win the lottery, I would be on the ATF's most watched list.

Freebird said; "270WSM, bought a savage for the wife, took it would shooting and the thing kicked like a mule, so we had a muzzle break put on it and it still kicked like a mule, it kicked more then my 300 SAUM."

i have shot 3 different 270WSM's and they have all felt fairly mild in recoil so, if not the Savages stock design, i'm not sure where that's coming from. Not long ago, i had a chance to shoot both the 270 and 300 WSM's at the bench in a Kimber and i thought at the time and the owner agreed, that the 300WSM had noticabley more recoil.

No matter really, but light recoil, or relatively light, for what you get down range, is one of the main reasons the 270WSM has easily become my favorite "caliber" cartridge. I also own and hunt a 280AI that is somewhat underrated in my book. My chronographed hand loads are well over any factory listed velocities for the 7mm mag. Not bad for a Son of the ol 30-06 case. Again, not the big magnum recoil or blast but PLENTY of down range pop!

Joey

What ever happened to shoot one gun and shoot it at everything. Wife and I shoot the same gun. Oh and by the way Browning Boss 7MM 140 grain NP. Extremely loud without ear protection but deadly.

To me it's fun to get a new gun and find what shoot's the best out of it. Unless Oboma Bin Laudin takes them away they are a good investment.

300 win mag, 30 cal cheap to shoot. 180 grain slug has the exact same trajectory as the 270 with a 130 grain bullet. works awesome for everything on this continent. You will not regret it.

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

tried a 30/06 hated
>it,
As soon as you said that, The credibility of you opinion went out the window. The 30-06 is one of the most versitile calibers ever made.

elkantlers +1

Thanks for pointing that out as this thread has been troubling me some. I can rarely if ever remember "hating" a firearm of any kind, make, model, or cartridge. Some are just more to my liking than others. :)

Joey

I own 22-250,.243,6mm,.270,7x57,300wby,300RUM, and a 30-378. My favorite is the 300RUM. It is a Rem 700 action with a hart barrel and jewel trigger + a muzzle brake.

I know this post is favorite caliber, but I've been looking at the 270 WSM and the 7mm WSM. Why would a person not go with the 7mm WSM over the 270 WSM. It seems to me the 7mm calibers would be better because of the bullet choices and there's not enough difference in bullet diameter to amount to a hill of beans.

I have a .223 for varmints and only bought it because it is a NATO round and wanted the luxury of numerous brass sources. I thought long and hard about the deer/elk rifle I should buy. I settled with the best all around rifle the 30-06. Mine is a Rem bdl dm, the detachable mag lets me load and unload the rifle easily without dumping/cycling ammo on the ground, etc. I have shot numerous mule deer and a black tail w/ handloaded 150 grain bullets. It shoots @ MOA w/ my reloads and some factory loads. It has a .30 cal bullet selection of 110-220 grains. The 30-06 does not do anything fancy like exotic magnums, it just works really well. With todays lethal bullets with better expansion and weight retention and todays more consistant powder burn rates it is even better. Ammo can be found anywhere. It has moderate recoil, good range within reason and can be shot (practice) more for better accuracy and reliable shot placement. The only reason I would get another rifle is because I just wanted another rifle and if I were hunting around dangerous game like grizzly or African game. I would definitely get one for your wife and would put it at the top end of recoil for her. It's hard to shoot accurately when consistantly punched in the jaw...Buy a scope that at least equals the price of your rifle. Savage makes cheap accurate rifles. I reload for my buddies 06' also w/ many kills to it's credit.

ive had a 270 savage model 110e for about 5 yrs, and i love it.ive killed elk, mulies, antelope, and barbary sheep. drops them in their tracks no problem.my dad uses a 243 and kills deer and elk with no problem. as long as you hit them right they will go down

270win is my favorite round but the 30-378 is starting to grow on me the more I shoot it. Also fond of the 257wby!

So just because I owned and hated a 30/06 my opinions are no longer credible??? I don't claim to be an expert but I do know what I like and don't like. You may like the 30/06-good for you. I just posted a question on this forum. Maybe next time I will take my questions else where.
Thanks

Chuck

never was a fan of smaller calibers until I got a 257 weatherby mag. Shoots fast, flat and is good for just about any game. Plus has very little recoil for a magnum less than a .270. Some might say its not good for larger animals, but I think if Roy Weatherby can kill a cape buff with it, it'll kill just about anything in North America. Only draw back is expensive ammo....

Couple of other favorites of mine would be .338 win mag (hard hitter) and then 30-06 just for availability of ammo and wide range of bullet weights...

.264 Win Mag I have 2, 300 Win Mag, 220 Swift, 257 Roberts, 300 WSM,.17 HMR. Not in any specific order, I like them all!!!!

Later, L.T.

the 270win always does the job for me. its a fast flat shooter, and with a 140 grn bullet it does the job for all big game. but i would love to try all the 7's and am starting to like the 257's more and more. but i will never sale my 270.

"Shoot Strait"

RE: My favorite caliber

300 Weatherby Sub MOA, is my favorite gun. Big punch and flat shooting. The only drawback is the price of ammo.

>elkantlers +1
>
>Thanks for pointing that out as
>this thread has been troubling
>me some. I can rarely
>if ever remember "hating" a
>firearm of any kind, make,
>model, or cartridge. Some are
>just more to my liking
>than others. :)
>
>Joey

I had a ruger vaquero in .44mag, even my dog hated that gun, loud, kicked, and acurate as Shaq on the freethrow line. Since this is a Mulie website I am gonna pull the I am a Rocky Mtn. guy and out here I think you will find, 30.06, .270, 7mm, .300win, are the big four by a long way. I shoot an a-bolt 30.06, dad gave it to me 20yrs ago for x-mas when I was 16. Topped it with a vxII 3x9. This is my big game gun, especially after dad died, I won't ever use anything else. Having said that I will buy my son a 7mm(he is 4 so I better get one pretty quick), I have no problem with the '06, killed everything I have hit, but I like the 7mm better. I personally think tradition is cool. My uncle hunts a win. model 70 06' with a weaver 3x9 that he has had for 40+ years, that to me is a lot cooler than the newest and fastest magnum with a ballistic scope, but I love guns so a new gun is the best gun, until you get another new gun!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom