Fawn reports from scouting.??

BrowningRage

Long Time Member
Spent 3 days in the Book Cliffs this weekend. Great trip with lots of nice bucks, and a few much better than average. (I put a few pics in the scouting photo thread- but not all)

But, it was also great to see A LOT of fawns running and frolicking around. Almost every doe had a fawn, and dozens of them had 2 fawns. Fingers crossed, thats the case around Utah, and the west as a whole...

What has everyone else been seeing..?

Last Friday I saw a first… one doe with 4 fawns following her. I’m guessing two does originally both had twins, but one of the does somehow died. I’ve never heard of a doe with quadruplets. ?
it happens....great for the coyotes...

Pretty good year in WY. Seems like most every doe I have seen lately has a fawn or two. Saw 3 does this morning while I was out spraying weeds and they had 4 fawns. I'd sure take that in November. We keep a pretty tight watch on predators around home and the fawns are getting pretty big, so their odds of survival are good.

In my hood, I don’t remember ever seeing so many dry does. Probably half at best have fawns. Drought impact I suppose, but I also suspect they aren being bred.

Good thing they’re going to kill those extra does this year :mad:

I really don't like finding fawns like this.
20220723_153021.jpg

In my hood, I don’t remember ever seeing so many dry does. Probably half at best have fawns. Drought impact I suppose, but I also suspect they aren being bred.

Good thing they’re going to kill those extra does this year :mad:
Very slim chance they aren't being bred

Where are you from again blue hair? I believe Colorado but where at in Colorado?
Yes, SW Colorado close enough to Utah that they can see my house thru their ML scopes.

That fawn is on the winter range place where it’s unusual to have a bear this time of year. They’re much more common when the fruit trees start ripening.

Im sure that fawn was killed by yotes, although they usually dismember the young tender ones.

A deer's insatiable desire to breed and spread genes. Both sexes will travel extensively to mate. I'd be happy to forward you some studies of you'd like. ?
Of course I was talking specifically about my ‘hood, but you are welcome to come sit on my porch and do your very own study. I see a lot of deer every day all year long.

Of course I was talking specifically about my ‘hood, but you are welcome to come sit on my porch and do your very own study. I see a lot of deer every day all year long.
Thanks for the invite! You're much more welcoming than a lot of these guys. Headed that way August 30. See you soon!

Verry dismal outlook where I've been the last few weeks in Utah. Seen ~30 does, only three had a set of fawns and another with a single fawn.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom