Feed issue

400bull

Very Active Member
I purchased a Winchester Model 70 300 WSM 3 ? 4 years ago. I have read several posts since then were the 300 WSM has a feeding issue. I have not thought much about it until just recently. But with my 300 WSM I don't have any issues with it feeding as long as I only have three in the magazine. When I cycle the action with three in the mag and one in the chamber it will almost always bind up on me just after the bolt picks up the first round in the mag. Once I get past that first round from the mag everything cycles just fine again.
I know that this is a fag description on what is happening. If I had the rifle with me right now I would try to give you a better disruption of what was happening. I was wondering if this sounds like the problem most are talking about with the 300 WSM feeding issue, and if there was anything that I can do to fix the issue.
400bull

Could be a number of things but Id look at the magazine lips first. A simple tweak to them might solve the problem. Also the spring may need a little adjustment.

If you have 3 rounds loaded and have the bolt closed on an empty chamber then cycle the bolt will it feed? A loaded round in the chamber shouldnt have any affect on the magazine feeding though.

Cahunter,

What kind of things would you look for on the magazine lips? What kind of adjustments are you referring to on the spring?

If my memory service me correct, the first round will feed just fine if I have three rounds in the magazine, bolt closed, and chamber empty. The problem comes when I have three rounds in the mag, bolt closed, and one in the chamber. In this situation the first round in the mag will bind up just after the bolt picks it up from the magazine. If I back off the pressure on the bolt momentarily after the round is bound up and then finish the bolt cycle the round will then feed just fine. I will double check this tonight to make sure I am correct.

400bull

Zigger, you must really like being a A-Hole!!

The man bought the gun years ago. Yes, there was a problem. It is a mechanical fix that any gunsmith can remedy in minutes. In most cases, newer guns in these cartridges have had the fix done prior to sale and most are reporting no problems with their WSM's.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

So I went home last night with the intent to figure out what was going on. Low and behold every thing was working just fine last night. Spent the better part of 30 minutes trying to get it jam and the only time it did is when I deliberately put a round in the mag wrong. Go figure.

400bull

Good to hear its working. I always make sure that when loading rounds into the magazine I firmly push them to the back of the magazine box.

Could be grime, grit, ammo, spring, who knows. but if it needs fixing it will happen again.

I would suspect that your follower may be hanging up a bit. If it's not at the right angle the shells will come out at the wrong angle causing feeding issues. If it feeds fine the majority of the time that's most likely the culprit! Clean the inside of the mag well and make sure your follower is sitting at the proper angle when you load the shells. One other possibility is that you may have stacked them wrong and that can cause the same issue it's rare ( it's not supposed to be possible but it can be done). Hope this helps.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom