Felling trees is Mans Work

joesikora

Long Time Member
This is a friend of the family named Curt!
Here’s Curts head after felling a tree without waiting for my father in law and I! It’s a very lucky
thing that the limb hit him at an angle instead of hitting his head squarely on his head if not we’d probably be making funeral arrangements!

So here’s today’s lesson boy and girls
1) wait for your family and friends to help!
2) WHERE A HARD HAT!

76923454-2901-431A-8E47-B43702A7815B.jpeg

690D58DF-B312-4C97-9C84-0A08703312EE.jpeg

In my life I have known 3 people hit by trees. Two are dead. One is a paraplegic. It's serious business. I have known one other man struck by a chainsaw. Where all the proper gear and spend a lot of time looking at a tree before you cut it.

I have a tree to cut I have been putting off for 8 months. Gonna have to bight the bullet and do it.

In my life I have known 3 people hit by trees. Two are dead. One is a paraplegic. It's serious business. I have known one other man struck by a chainsaw. Where all the proper gear and spend a lot of time looking at a tree before you cut it.

I have a tree to cut I have been putting off for 8 months. Gonna have to bight the bullet and do it.
Isn't one of them your Governor Tristate??

The piece of meat missing on his skull is still stuck to the limb!

Tri I‘ll give you a hand after my back surgery we‘ll make short work of that rascal!

joe

I have a nephew who is a fireman. He has a side business felling trees. I shake my head looking at some of the pictures of him in action on Facebook. Some of those chipper stories are pretty gruesome too.

This is a friend of the family named Curt!
Here’s Curts head after felling a tree without waiting for my father in law and I! It’s a very lucky
thing that the limb hit him at an angle instead of hitting his head squarely on his head if not we’d probably be making funeral arrangements!

So here’s today’s lesson boy and girls
1) wait for your family and friends to help!
2) WHERE A HARD HAT!

View attachment 38806

View attachment 38807
Thats goin leave a Mark

my community lost a well liked professional logger that was hit by a small whippy tree that was swaying after he dropped a bigger tree. He watched it sway 2 times then turned his back. The 3rd sway the little tree top broke and got him. Sad deal.

Ironically, I was just watching this a few days ago.

Paying tribute to a fellow timber feller. 2016

We lost a Lt. from the department that was cutting trees down for firewood. As the tree fell, a 5 inch limb broke off about 30 feet up and hit him on the top of his head. Killed him. I was one of the first officers on the scene and remember the shock his two young sons were in as they saw it happen.
The oldest boy, early teens, tried CPR on his dad, but he had a severe brain injury that caused death.
RELH

I worked on a logging crew for about 5 years. I never saw a faller get hurt, except one time when one got attacked by yellowjacket bees. He was off for 2 weeks. He had an allergic reaction. I happen to have a photo of him. Don Jackman.

img872.jpg

If you fall enough trees, you’ll probably eventually get yourself in trouble. Generally though, you’re much more likely to get injured doing things you aren’t familiar with. When amateurs use nail guns, chainsaws, atv’s, guns, etc, people are much more likely to get hurt.

That's one of the biggest hazards of cutting logs. Limbs that break off the tree and hang up in neighboring trees. Most of the time you have your head down while your working the log up and never see it coming. My old cutting partner is disabled due to the same accident. As a former sawyer, I see some of the stumps in the woods and wonder how there aren't more casualties with firewood cutters.

Not necessarily. Plenty of guys fall timber their entire career (my uncle being one) and never get hurt.
That’s what I’m saying, professionals are less likely to get hurt than an amateur. Regardless of the dangerous job or activity. A pro or an experienced faller cutting a tree will be much less likely to get hurt than a homeowner cutting a tree.

You guys are depressing me. I’m going to go fall some little ones right now. I’ll wear long pants.

In my late teen years, my dad worked the 4 pm-12 am shift at a Ford assembly plant in Mawah, N.J. To make ends meet, he painted houses, both inside & outside during the day. When school was out for the summer, to earn gas money I would help him. I'd head to the job early & he would come along after he woke up. Then he would head straight to work. If we had a big job, he would recruit one of my uncles for the weekend.

So along came this 3-story monstrosity to be painted on the outside. It was a chore. We had a 24-ft wooden (think 1950s!) extension ladder, which was barely enough to reach the upper areas. I did much of the climbing.

So one day the owner comes along and asks my dad if we could trim a limb off the backyard tree that was precariously hovering close to an upstair's window about 18' up..

The limb was fairly big, maybe about 10 inches thick thru the middle where it was to be cut. And the part to be lopped off was about 10'-12' long. We didn't own a chain saw, so the task was to be accomplished using a carpenter's handsaw. Yup, you guessed it; I was the delegated one to wield the ripsaw while my dad and uncle steadied the ladder at the bottom.

We extended the ladder to 20 feet, enough to reach past the branch about 1.5 feet, and I climbed aboard and started sawing away. It took me quite sometime with a break here & there. But eventually, I got to the point where the branch started to break. As it began falling, the part of the limb the ladder was resting on, now rid of many pounds, moved skyward. Suddenly, there was no limb there for the ladder to rest against. Of course, we hadn't planned on that hapening. :rolleyes:

Luckily I was up high enough where I could grab on to the limb above me, while my dad & uncle stabilized the bottom. Once I got up the nerve, I let go and climbed down while they held the ladder upright.

Loved the Job..adrenaline rush for 20 years..you didn't daydream on the job or you would of went home in a body bag..My avator pic is the biggest tree I ever fell...12ft Sitka Spruce..,SE Alaska..

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom