Finally! Elk 24

WITUfan

LAST EDITED ON Mar-30-15 AT 08:40AM (MST)[p]Well, my old man and I finally drew a Unit 24 elk tag! We are both pretty excited. Work and family obligations have been extremely hectic for me, so I am just now really starting some planning. I am home today with a sick kid, so I have ordered a Unit map from My Topo and am going to go through some of the archived threads here and look at some BLM maps I have.

Our current plan is to arrive in the area a few days before the season opens to get our bearings, scout and get acclimated. We will have 7 or 8 days to actually hunt and then have to head back. It is about 24 hours on the road to get there, so we won't have any opportunity to scout ahead of time. We have a good tent and plan to camp during the hunt. We will be in the best shape we can be in and prepared to hike and shoot to the best of our abilities. We are experienced in butchering critters and will be ready to quarter/debone and pack one back to coolers at the truck.

For anyone willing to offer some advice, I will sure take it! I am particularly interested if folks who have recently hunted the area know places that tend to hold more elk than others. I know the area has lots of roads and easy access (part of our logic in choosing the area - Dad is 62 and we are both flatlanders) so I know we can't really get away from other hunters. I am nervous about being messed up by folks on ATVs. Any strategies to avoid this would be helpful. Also, if you have any advice on good areas for a base camp, that would be great. Lastly, this is not our first western trip (antelope a few times) or my first time around elk (KY actually has quite a few) but it will be my first time hunting elk. Any general information/advice would be helpful. I always welcome the opportunity to learn from those who are more experienced.

PMs are welcome. Thanks for any help!

Congrats to you and your dad. Wished I knew something in concrete about he area but I have not hunted it. I have heard good things and have seen some decent bulls killed in the area. Good luck and have a great time and enjoy the whole hunt.

I'd have to scout, or pay some one to. Doesn't 24 take 7 or 8 points? If so you may never draw it again?

^^^^ 9 ^^^^^^^^

4aec49a65c565954.jpg

I would love to do a pre-season scouting trip but that just isn't an option. Taking two full weeks off for the hunt might strain things at work anyway. I'm hoping with 3 full days to scout before the hunt we can be on some elk on opening morning.

As for enjoying the hunt, I am certain we will. I always love my time outdoors. Getting to make this trip with Dad makes it even better. Obviously, I want an elk, but watching him get one would be success to me.

Try and talk with the local warden or biologist. You may even have luck asking an area 96 or region E deer hunter.

Narrow down the starting points, then map your game plan.

Good luck to you and your Dad.

It's a fun hunt.
The bulls bugle like crazy before the hunt and on opening day.
Then they quiet down for a few days and fire up again when things settle down.
That's what we found.
I hunted it back to back years a few years back.
My son had the tag one year and the next my wife drew.
I'll dig out my maps and get back to you.
Apply for an antelope tag too.
Either 61,64,68
Howdy

I showed up 3 days prior and saw 50+bulls with 20 or so 6points. Get there...glass in the mornings and evenings. Learn the roads and how to get to the bulls of your choice in the afternoon and be done on the opener. I was done about 7 min into my hunt with a 6?7. Had another 2 bulls just like him within 500 yards while we broke down my bull. Just remember the elk will be from the tops of the mtn to WAY out in antelope country. Good luck

I would think you would have tons of info. You have been posting about this unit for several years. I sent a pm

Treedagain,

I have posted on here about the unit over the past few years as I tried to learn about it and make sure I was applying in the right place. I won't say that I have tons of info but I do have some. I shared what I knew about the unit with you last February via PM. I'm just going under the assumption I can't learn too much and hearing from folks who have been in the unit has been a big help. I do appreciate it. I didn't receive a new PM. I'll check again later. Nice bull you tagged, by the way!

I would revisit your thoughts on ATV's. For the most part you would be limiting your hunting area. As far as ATV'S being a issue i did not see that. I saw only 1 other hunter on a wheeler. There are only 50 cow tags so its just bull hunters you will see. From what i heard the area has been expanded so you will have more desert hunting from 100 and 118. I found that this was not a road hunt unit ..there roads but still a bit of walk in areas. I did not have any competition and had miles to myself and could have filled multiple tags on 300 inch or better bulls. It puzzles me the amount of raghorns shot. I met a local hunter with 6 tags in there group and only killed 1 bull. Even after i told him of the where abouts of multiple mature bulls actively rutting with big herds. Think outside the box and look everywhere. I did have quality info from MM members and have privately thanked them but ultimately killed my bull in a spot far from where they told me. GLASS...GLASS...MOVE SPOTS....REPEAT GLASSING...REPEAT..REPEAT....until you find what you want.

WITUFAN.......GOOD LUCK !!! WOULD LIKE TO RELIVE YOUR HUNT WITH YOU WHEN YOU RETURN......POP A PIG............YD.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom