Finally get to hunt deer in AZ!

DidIDraw

I drew a 12B West late tag.

I'm excited to see lots of deer and hopefully a big buck coming off the Pansaugunt or Kiabab.

Can anyone give me some pointers about how to hunt this unit effectively? Looks like mostly sage flats except for the Buckskins. Also appears to be only a few water sources if it is dry.

I've never had a good rut tag for deer - will the deer be active most of the day?

Are the roads horrible after a storm? Any places I should not drag a pop-up trailer if storms are likely?

Thanks!

Congrats on the tag, my dad and a couple other buddies have the tag as well! I've been up there for a few hunts and can say u should be stoked!!! Biggest thing is do your snow dance and hope for early snow!! Def a game changer, but We've had success on drier years as well! It gets awful greasy up there so come prepared! Good luck!

West side roads have quite a bit of rock in them. East side and up top can get really greasy. Even if it snows, it melts quickly and turns to slop. Get away from the roads; Rock Canyon and Buck Pasture Canyon can hold some good ones. Don't ignore the big sage flats on the west side, but be on the glass the crack of dawn and watch them go out and bed in the high sage.

spare tires with chains already on, a good jack, Tow straps,full gas cans, AND the Best glass you can borrow, steal, or own.
Tripod type Bino's and a Awesome spotting scope. Good chair to put a lot of time in on the glassing.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Have your GPS with you and on at all times. Hunt right on the border of Utah...
It can get cold there too during your hunt.
I broke ice off stock tanks 2" thick on my hunt...
I'll dig out my maps and give you a few areas to check out where I found bucks.
Shoot me a PM
Howdy

Congrats DidI , I also drew after 15 yrs & 16 pts. 12Aw late. Kind of bitter sweet though , Dad was looking forward to going & helping spot but unfortunately we lost him to cancer this past march.

Damn--my 3rd choice 3A/3C bow buck came thru....

Any sharing intel would be fine by me----just sayin'

Thanks for any PM's.

Robb

LAST EDITED ON Jul-31-14 AT 10:23AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jul-31-14 AT 10:22?AM (MST)

Are you a non resident going solo and did draw?. Congrats on your tag.

Yes N.R. Had hunter ed. + loyalty pts. Was still 1 under max pts. Due to partner not submitting proper fees one year.Last time I ever let somone else submit my app. for me.Oh well still happy as a pig in slop for finally drawing.So cousemagnet how did you and YD do on your hunts ? Any advice for my hunt ? Going DIY hunt.

Goinsolo, sorry to hear about your Dad. I decided to draw this tag so that I can get in a fun hunt with my Step Dad and Father in Law (kind of cool that they get along really well) before their health fades. This should a be a physically easy enough hunt that they can come and enjoy some time in the woods looking over lots of deer.

Thanks for all of the comments and advise. Really appreciated.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom