Finally got my sheep !

martinc

I went back to where I hunted in 2010 for a bighorn. I hunted 15 days that year, saw 12-14 rams but never found a legal, full-curl ram.

I hunted in september this year, the weather was warm, saw only 3 immature rams. I got a decent mule deer, at least for the aree I was hunting in the Kootenays of British Columbia.

7123img_1507-1.jpg

I went back for the last 6 days of sheep season, October 20-25th. We got a lot of snow in the mountains just before I arrived, which usually moves the rams and makes the glassing much easier. We found a ram the first morning, he looked good but weren't sure if he was legal, from 3 miles away. Even by climbing to a ridge to get to 1 1/4 mile, we were still not sure. He was joined by 2 more rams, but they were obviously short. My outfitter found 3 more rams in a different basin, one he tought was legal. We had plan A - go after the ram he found the next morning, and plan B, go after that first ram in the afternoon or the next day.

On day 2 we rode horses but we couldn't find the best ram of that second bunch, we only saw the 2 smaller rams. We came back to camp with enough daylight to go check the plan B, and those 3 rams were still there.

Day 3 we were glassing at daybreak but couldn't see them. If they were still around, they were in one of the timber patches. Because some local hunters were glassing from the same area, we decided to move into that basin, my guide and me. My outfitter stayed behind to keep glassing. We would later know that when the rams came out, 2 local hunters followed our quad tracks until they saw that we had left it right at the entrance of that basin and they turned around. We mad the right decision in starting early.

There is no trail into that basin, the deadfalls and Christmas trees made it nasty. We followed a creek, and from an opening we were able to find the rams, now out in the open and in the same spot they were the day before. It took us 3 1/2 hours to get to the bottom of the slide where they were, and another one to get more or less level with them. We were hidden in a strip of fairly open timber all the way. We were on them at 3PM, at 200 yards, but it took us until 6PM to make sure he was legal and to get our shot. We were frozen, shivering for 3 hours on that ridge.

When he showed us his right side, I was then told to shoot, only to see him move quickly behind a bush. He then went behind a little knob, only to come on top of it and stare at us. We were not sure he was the right one at that point, he could have been the second in rank. The other 2 rams then climbed on the same know and our ram finally turned broaside, we knew he was the one on the left. I pulled the trigger, the gun went "click" ! I cycled the bolt, only to see a round come out. Another trigger pull ended in another "click", the firing pin was frozen ! The primers on those 2 rounds were untouched.

I took the bolt out, knocked on it a couple time, put it back, and fired another round, only to hear a 3rd "click". This time the firing pin moved and left a little dent in the primer, but obviously not hard enough to fire properly. I threw that round away, hoping that the nex one would be the good one. This time the gun went "BOOM" and the ram went down. 3 miles behind us, our outfitter saw everything in his spotting scope. On the steep hill and in the deep snow, it took us 1/2 hour to get back to our packs 100 yards behind us and get to that sheep. The last 20 yards was so steep and covered in snow that it was tough just to get there. We caped and quartered him, and went down the slide at 8h30 PM to the creek bottom where the outfitter met us to share the load. We got back to the quads past 12h30 AM and got into camp past 2AM.

I was quite an adventure ! I spent 27 days over 2 seasons to get that ram, saw sheep but also goats, mule deer, whitetails, elk, moose, grizzly and black bear. Next stop is a stone sheep hunt in 2014.

4999img_1645-1.jpg

Martin

Congrats to you on finally getting your BC ram. Quite a story too but it all turned out to the good. Is it going to be a shoulder mount or Full Body mount?

Good luck to you in 2014 on the next hunt.

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

I'll do a shoulder mount, I don't feel the need for a full body mount.

BTW he has 15" bases and lenghts are 35 1/4 and 34 1/2, rough score of 165, no monster but a solid ram in my book, probably 7 1/2 yo.

Martin

sounds like you put some time in and looks like it paid off. congrads on some fine animals

Thanks guys. Yes I was on my 27th day on that range when I killed that sheep. On my first try I wasn't thinking that I would go back a second time if I didn't get one, but the outfitter wanted me back, and made a great offer that I couldn't refuse, basically going back for the price of an elk hunt with a trophy fee if I got a ram. Needless to say I was happy to pay that extra 5000$. It pays to show up in shape and keep a positive attitude no matter what.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-28-12 AT 07:45AM (MST)[p]Congratulations on a beautiful and hard earned ram! Dry lube in cold weather next time.. (unless it was water that got in the bolt and froze, leave gun outside tent at night in snow...)

And in the gym.. No mirrors, and magazine post ups are hunting magazine pictures, not centerfolds? Dude, that's hard core :)

ElmerFudd

Yes I learned my lesson with gun oil. I left the gun outside the cabin, but my gun oil was too thick.

The hunt pics in the gym are as motivating, and a much easier sell on the wife than centerfolds...

HECK YA....way to stick it out....you did great..

How to start an argument online:
1. Express an opinion
2. Wait

You did good Kid!
Most sheep hunts seem to be more about endurance than anything.
Working hard keeping in shape and dedicating 27 days hunting, makes that a trophy you will cherish forever!
Congratulations and good luck on the Stone. Hopefully it won't be so hard, but if you are lucky, maybe it will! LOL

WELL DONE!

You should be proud of the outcome. He's a fine trophy for sure.
Sometimes the toughest hunts are the fondest.

Zeke

Thanks for the good comments guys. Now a few pics to go along the story.

The high country in september - where else would you like to be ?

2139img_1410.jpg

My outfitter was Alex Smutny, Bugle Basin Outfitters. My guide in september was Wayne Selby, and in october it was Ryley Hunter. I would like to thank them all.

Martin

I really like the addition of your photo-story. Pretty cool stuff right there!
Congrats again,
Zeke

Thanks Zeke. It's a pleasure to relive that hunt ! I'm scheduled for a Stone Sheep hunt with Golden Bear in 2014. Can't wait !

Martin

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom