Finally happened...oryx on the ground

hntbambi

the December off range oryx hunt was no shooting fish in the barrel. As others have said, many miles, and lots of time afield will yield the success. I got into them on the 12th of December. I had a close encounter with no horns, broken horn, and handlebar horns as we suprised each other at 20 yards. It was like holy crap oryx from me and holy crap hunter from them. I did not have a shot I liked so I passed on them.

On the 16th, I found one all alone and decided to take a long range shot. I won't mention how far as it upsets some, lets just say it was a fair poke at him. I missed.

On the 23rd I found a pair of oryx and these had decent horns. I had a clean standing broadside shot at 375 yards and what should have been a slam dunk was a miss. I went to the range to verify and the scope was indeed off about 7" at 100 yards. I cleanly missed at 375.

With the upcoming weather forecast I did not want to hunt the later part of this week. I got to my hunting spot and saw this guy looking at me.

oryx1.jpg

The distance was close enough and I sent a 180 gr Core-Lokt through his shoulder and heart.

oryx2.jpg

After I got him to the truck, and started field dressing him, I see his buddy looking bummed.

oryx3.jpg

At least I know there is one left.

Not a pretty as yours ,but we just got this Orxy on Monday. I agree the off range hunt is tougher now than it has ever been.

1607photo319.jpg

Well done guys. Good job on a couple of fine off range critters. Bambi, I like the before and after shot, well done.
-Cody

LAST EDITED ON Dec-29-10 AT 09:16AM (MST)[p]Congratulations to the both of you!!

We were out yesterday again, and saw 0, zilch, naada.

Ok we saw some gorgeous mule deer bucks, but no oryx.

Anyone willing to toss us a line on where you were successful?

My daughter is still trying to fill her tag and we have 2 days ( of some nasty weather it looks like).

Congrats again, beautiful trophies.

NMYB

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Teach your kids to hunt now, and you won't have to hunt for them later.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom