Finishing Off Techniques

heartshot

Very Active Member
Let's get some thoughts on finishing off techniques.

Scenario: You walk up to your downed animal. When you get about 10 feet you realize that he is not all the way dead and may even raise his head.

My dad would always tell me to hurry and slit its throat with my knife. I've done this but it is not very fast and also wrecks the cape.

My brother would tell me to shoot it in the head. One time doing this I shot it downward from the back of the head. This meant a broken skull plate and a blown off lower jaw. I learned my lesson on that one. There is nothing weirder looking than a deer missing its lower jaw. :)

My friend tells me to shoot it in the neck.

On TV they give high fives while waiting for it to die.

What do you do? What is the best thing to do? What is the best thing to do if you want to keep the cape?

Thoughts?

PS. Not looking for the obvious answer of making you first shot better

heartshot

I'd stay back 10 yards, place an arrow through the lungs, and wait. No meat loss, no chance to get smacked by flying hooves or antlers, and death will ensue within seconds.

just shoot it in the chest. I have done this and it works fine. The first time I had to do this I was a few feet from a deer and I realized that is was alive about the same time the deer realized I was there. It started to get up and I fired from the hip as it got to its feet. That ended that. I have since had to finish off 2 oryx that were spined. They are one tough animal and on these I took my time and placed the bullet through the breastbone into the lungs so as to miss the shoulders.

The trick is to put one into the lungs and not tear up a bunch of meat, but if there is any chance that the animal could run off, then just put one into it and don't worry about sneaking it around the shoulder.

+1 +1 to the guys above

After 45 years of big game hunting I've done about everything wrong.

Here's my advice but do what ever you want:
Just shoot them again in the lower chest regardless of what you're shooting. Only use you knife once the animal is dead!

No meat loss, zero cape damage, no hooves to my head or antlers poked in my leg!

Zeke

Many people carry a small calibre handgun and 'finish' off the animal that way. I don't like slitting throats or shooting them in the neck because both ways tend to ruin the cape.

a nice chest shot is usually the best and least 'messy' way IMO

Get close and shoot them about an inch behind the ear. This severs the head from the neck, is instant death and wont ruin your cape, skull plate or any meat.

4afddbfa2842588e.jpg

>Pressure cooker bomb? Just sayin'.....
>pc

No way Paul!
This device can only be used by cowardly turds! I don't think the sportsmen on here would qualify. It would "finish" them off but the cape and meat would be a mess unless you use the ultra-compact pressure cooker!

Zeke

Don't try to choke one out!! I had a situation very similar to the OP's, needed a nice muley cape and this was the buck i had a tag for. i had broken his back, he wasn't going anywhere but still was plenty alive. I jumped on him and put the Full Nelson on. It took way longer than i expected... or wanted and it was a very physical battle as the buck would not give it up but i was committed so it was what it was. I would not do that again, ever, needed clean cape or not. Live and learn!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Im going to start using the Utard method,gut shoot em and them run home and post on the forums to see if anyone has found it yet.

I guess I was brought up differently, can't say that the cape has ever crossed my mind when needing a finish shot. I have always put another in the chest and walk away for 15-30 mins. It still bugs me to no end to see an animal suffer, figured I'd get used to seeing it over the years.

Wasn't trying to disrespect anyone here, my taxi would probably like me more if I'd think about the cape! Lol

I just call em as I see em!

Mine are always dead when I walk up on them.
Or a mid neck shot just to make sure they don't charge me.
Coyotes always get an extra shot since I do not care about a bounty or the pelt and refuse to touch them other than lifting the leg to see the sex.
Thank You
Rick

When I didn't want the cape, stabbed one in the jugular or Corotid (sp) artery... It bled out in like a minute...

Another that I did want, shot it again in the lungs... It jumped up and ran about 50 yards and nose-dived to his death... Those are the only two I ever walked up on still alive...

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

I once shot a doe on an antlerless hunt in the neck trying to not spoil any meat. She dropped on the spot and looked totally dead. It was really cold so I hurried and opened her up, grabbed her jugular and cut it to pull out her innerds. As I did I felt her heart was still beating and instantly blood went squirting everywhere. Apparently my neck shot only paralyzed her. That little fiasco freaked me out and made me sick.
Twenty years later I still almost have to take a pulse before I get my knife out.

+1 for a heart shot if I am saving a cape...and there is still a pulse!

I shot a Bull through the lungs behind the shoulder once to save the cape. After several minutes I decided I would never do that again. Now it is a shot behind the ear, trying to go between the skull and the spine. The results have been much better.

DZ

Joey,

How long did it take? It shouldn't take that long if arteries are plugged off. Probably one of those deals where you could do it pretty fast with practice, but who has the heart to get enough experience with that move?

I've wondered how well a choke would work as I've been in a situation where that would have been the best alternative. The deer actually got away.

SMELLY, A long time, 10-15 minutes maybe?? I got to believe, now anyway, that a big bucks neck is constructed a lot different/tougher than us humans are. I mean, i got a great hold, held on and put it to him hard, and still he would just not go away. As i said, i'd not recommend or ever do it that way again. Creeps me out even thinking about that little one time episode on the mountain.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

+1 on the lung shot....99.9% of the time if you walk up on an animal and their eyes are closed. They are "not dead"...put another arrow or bullet in them. Better that than getting horned or mauled. Animals fighting for their lives can be dangerous. There was an incident back 20yrs ago where a hunter in some State got torn up pretty bad by a buck that the hunter approached thinking the buck was dead.

))))------->

>I'd stay back 10 yards, place
>an arrow through the lungs,
>and wait. No meat loss,
>no chance to get smacked
>by flying hooves or antlers,
>and death will ensue within
>seconds.

yep, works perfect!

Shoot them again in the chest. Whatever you do, DO SOMETHING. I've seen guys leave a wounded and dying animal laying at their feet and do nothing waiting for it to die. Not good.

>Shoot them again in the chest.
> Whatever you do, DO
>SOMETHING. I've seen guys
>leave a wounded and dying
>animal laying at their feet
>and do nothing waiting for
>it to die. Not good.

+1, everyone has their own opinion on where to shoot, stab, choke etc... do what ever you like as long as the animal die's quickly and you don't get injured in the process.

I think its funny that people poke a deer, elk etc... in the hindquarter and think its "good". I check them and then a final check of touching my barrel to their eye ball. If they blink, they are alive, no blinking, they are dead.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

Anaconda choke.

I would sooner stick up under the elbow into the heart than slit the throat, neither is without danger on a live animal. Got a little practice hog doggin so I know where to put the blade.

+1 Doenob. I've killed a couple deer, antelope, and hogs all with a cold steel in the armpit. Amazingly quick, but of course there is some inherent risk involved. Just don't get bucked off and stick yourself in the femoral!

LAST EDITED ON Apr-28-13 AT 06:41PM (MST)[p]15years ago I shot a nice four point in the neck and it dropped like a rock. When we got up to it I could tell he was still alive so I thought I'd slit his throat. His eyes were wide open and he looked like the devil ready to kill. Thinking he was paralized I bent over and grabbed his antler and he instantly shot up like a raging bull. He was after blood and lucky I got out of the way but he plowed threw a bush charging my buddy. Once he cleared I shot him again. The biggest lesson I learned that day is give the knife to your friend and stand back. :)

>LAST EDITED ON Apr-28-13
>AT 06:41?PM (MST)

>
>15years ago I shot a nice
>four point in the neck
>and it dropped like a
>rock. When we got
>up to it I could
>tell he was still alive
>so I thought I'd
>slit his throat. His eyes
>were wide open and he
>looked like the devil ready
>to kill. Thinking he was
>paralized I bent
>over and grabbed his antler
>and he instantly shot up
>like a raging bull. He
>was after blood and lucky
>I got out of the
>way but he plowed threw
>a bush charging my buddy.
> Once he cleared I
>shot him again.
>The biggest lesson I learned
>that day is give the
>knife to your friend and
>stand back. :)

Given your traditional hunting attire, that could of been a disaster.

4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

I've read a number of posts that advocate jumping on a live animal with a sharp knife. We've all done it but.... never again. I can afford the arrow or the ammo to simply shoot them again. There will be little to no meat loss and you can do it in a way that does not hurt the cape.
I think we'd all feel bad if we let an animal get away just because we felt like playing Rambo. We'd all feel bad if we got hurt or dead in the process too!
I can understand why a poacher wouldn't want to shoot again but a hunter should shoot again every time, IMHO.
Zeke

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom