First Archery Muley!

flyingspearnv

Aug 2nd it all came together in the Ruby mountains. After a two hour stalk, I was 60 yards above his last bed, however he had relocated 60 yards uphill. As I was trying to locate him below me, I looked across sidehill to figure out my route, and at 15 yards were antlers, and tips of his ears looking straight at me. I instantly drew, and after being at full draw for who knows how long and making all sorts of weird noises with a bone dry mouth, couldn't even whistle at this point, had to let down as he would not stand up. Drew again and started grunting at him as loud as I could when he finally stood up, hit him good and he went about 50-60 yards. Continued to help my partner for the next six days, saw lots of real good bucks, and two exceptional bucks, unfortunately my partner couldn't make it happen. The wind was real tough once the t-storms started. 9 miles in drop camp was the way to go for us, these mountains are tough, although I still ran into a couple who were backpacked in, he killed a nice buck as you'll see below.
Tough hunters, him and his wife/girlfriend, as they packed their camp out that night, came back in the next morning and packed out the meat for a quick 27 miles in about 12 hours time, pretty cool!
Congrats to the other successful hunters I've seen on here and Good luck to all that are still heading out!

Here he is napping
9568bedded_buck.jpg

4426portrait.jpg

Ran into this fella and his wife on my way out-nice buck!
6099cody_and_me.jpg

Back at Camp
4010back_at_camp.jpg

9992euro_pict.jpg

Billy that walked in from 200 yards out to just 25 yards
4885billy_2.jpg

Nice job! I was up there last week for a few days and used a drop camp as well. The only way to go up there. We got into some good bucks but made a few mistakes and couldnt make it happen. It was my first hunt with a bow and I loved it. Headed out again at the end of the hunt.

Congratulations. Those are some great bucks. Who did you hire to pack you in?
Wes

Hey 6 x 7,
I tried to email you but it got sent back, I would like to get a hold of Chad, didn't think to get his info on the mountain, if you could email me his info or yours so I could call you I would really appreciate it. I guess his wife/girlfriend's family owns an outfitting business in California and I'm curious what that's all about. Thanks a bunch

Wes, I'm sure the outfitter would love me to post his info, but I would really like to use him again, and he only makes 2-3 trips into this country a year for archery muley's. Sorry

Flyingspearnv
I know all of the outfitters that guide in the Rubys. I've worked for a couple of them guiding in the Rubys myself. I've ridden that range from one end to the other and killed a lot of great bucks there. PM me if you'd like, just curious who you used.
Wes

Hey Wes,
Now I remember seeing your post on the area 10 bucks, great pictures! What kind of rattlesnake is that, I came across one of those on the west side of nevada and guessed it as a mojave? I envy all the time you've spent in the Rubys, I've spent almost the same amount of time in the Sierras, the two ranges are very similar country, the Rubys just have far far less people which makes them that much better. I'll try to PM you
flyingspear

Thats a Great Basin rattler. I took that picture during the late hunt in November few years ago. I went back to my horse to get something out of my saddle bags and while I was standing beside my horse I heard him buzzing at my feet. He was only about 12 inches away. It was cold as heck that day so I don't know if he was rattlin or if his teeth were chatterin. I don't know what he was doing out in the cold like that but the day before was extremely warm for that time of year. He was so cold he could hardly move so I reached down and just picked him up. I carried him back to where my hunters were and they started screaming and running around like little girls. I posed him on a rock for pictures then shoved him down a hole in the rocks.
Wes

What elevation did you find him, ours was at about 6,600' back in June, there were 5 little kids playing in the creek, when he showed up cruising through the tall grass, when luckily my lab pup started barking a little differently than normal it caught our attention. He's on the wall now.
Flyingspear

Thanks guys for the compliments, I'll tell ya it is not easy, I see these guys who take big bucks every year and I'm just amazed. I thought I was a pretty decent hunter until I started bow hunting so I could actually draw a tag and go hunting, man I had a lot to learn! It's kinda like going from power bait to flyfishing, probably even tougher. I had a lot of things go my way, the wind, the buck repositioning, the fact I ended up coming in on him in that exact spot was truly lucky! All I can say is keep trying and hopefully a little luck will come your way, like it did for me.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-13-10 AT 07:43AM (MST)[p]I sent you my cell # in a pm to you I will most likley be seeing him in the next few days.

WOW!!! Nice Buck!!! Its great to see it all come together for you.... Though we have never met maybe after all is said and done I can somehow meet up with you and put a face to the name... jeremy.

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands one nation under God indivisible with liberty and justice for all."

flyingspear, congrats on a nice buck. Learning more about hunting after going to archery is something I can relate to. But archery is great even though it is tough. Good to see that you got it done. Once again, congrats! FATROOSTER.

HEY SPEAR! CONGRATS,GOT YOUR message about UT,that is awsome wish i could have been there,muzzy coming soon,HOPE TO GO.see ya soon!!!

That was an awsome day I'll never forget it - 10,000 ft perfect weather and two dandy bucks on the ground!

Thanks Fatrooster, definitely my year... as my luck continued in Utah on a 4 x 3, had to work a little harder on this one as it took 12 hours and lots of help from my wife, kids, and buddies to find him, luckily we didn't lose any meat! Best part was my 9 year old son was right next to me when I let the arrow fly, that was cool! Thanks again, take care Flyingspear

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom