First Day In The Books

desperatehills

Very Active Member
Should I shoot either of these 2 bucks the first day in the Book Cliffs with my muzzleloader? Either would be my best buck by far and would look good on my wall but am I leaving to much on the table? How wide do you think they are and what do you think they will score? I like the buck with the bigger eye guards but the other buck has a much bigger body and I beleive is a older buck. I saw one buck bigger in 4 days. I don't have pictures of him but I got a great video. He was similar in width but had a 3" sticker making him a 5x4. He was in our camp when we climbed out of our tents one morning. What do you think? What are my odds of finding a better buck during my 9 day hunt?
1013img_1603.jpg

6210img_1606.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Sep-15-11 AT 07:51AM (MST)[p]In my opinion either one of those bucks would be a trophy. They may not be the biggest buck out there, but one would be on my wall for sure opening day or not. Just my .02 cents

Like said, if it makes you happy and its better then anything you have bagged before. Pull the trigger.

If you plan on spending nine days on the hunt I would arrive a few days early and scout. I would ruther scouut three days and hunt 5-6, then hunt for 9 days. What you see before the hunt and before they get spooked will tell you what you want and what to expect. Good luck and keep us posted.

Don't pass up a buck on the first day that you would shoot on the last day. As the pressure builds the bucks will start disappearing.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

I DO HAVE A RIFLE DEER TAG FOR THE BOOKS THIS YEAR, AND HAVE TALKED TO A FEW VERY IN THE KNOW FELLAS. I KEEP HEARING THE BOOKS HUNT ACTUALLY GETS BETTER AS THE HUNT PROGRESSES, AND PEOPLE GO HOME........LAST 5 DAYS MAY BE THE TICKET.............YD.

If I were you I would shoot either one of those bucks on the Muzz hunt, the deer are only going to get more scarse down their.
With all the hunts that will take place from now til the muzzy they will start to dive off into transitional zones whick is big country.

You will still have one hell of a good time.

"And just what were these guys doing riding horses in an aspen thicket"
WhiskyMan

Me and my wife were lucky enough to hunt the books two years apart, KABOOM. Bolth would look GREAT on the wall, 10 days of hunting and we never did see anything better than those two.

>Me and my wife were lucky
>enough to hunt the books
>two years apart, KABOOM. Bolth
>would look GREAT on the
>wall, 10 days of hunting
>and we never did see
>anything better than those two.
>

Thanks Hunter, I don't think I have the disipline to pass on either of these bucks. We did see 2 that were better but they were near the road in a area filled with elk. The elk hunters will move them pretty good. These two were in a remote area that didn't have much elk sign so I might find them again. I know there are better bucks out there but I would kick myself if I passed on them and shot a smaller buck later in the hunt.

I just spent 7 days archery in there. Those would make top 5% of the 350+ bucks I saw. Did see 3 or 4 that would beat them, but not many in the same class as those two yo have there.

Elmacho, just curious how the bow hunt went. You got to love how many bucks you get to see and pick through at the Bookcliffs!!

Good looking bucks, especially the back one. He might be short on eye guards but he's got that other buck beat on everything else. You can really see the difference in the second photo. Good Luck!

WYmoose

It looks to me they'd be pretty equal in the score category. I'd shoot either one if it were me. Sounds like you can easily get witing muzzy range if you use your tent as a blind! Good luck on your hunt.

Steve
Derkha derkha Muhammed jihad hakha sherpha sherpha abakhala- Gary of Team America World Police

Maybe just a good camera lens but, it looks like you were in a pretty accessible area. If so, someone is bound to whack them quickly.

I just got home today. I saw these two bucks on two different hunts. They got much wiser over the last two weeks. I killed a buck I think is better. I will post pics tomorrow. It is a 6x5 with a 29" spread and rough scores 178

Nice can't wait for the pictures.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos/3006img_1781.jpg

Here is a picture of my buck and my wife. She found the buck the day before the season. It was the 4th time we saw him when we killed him on the 3rd day of the season. He is 29 1/2" wide and we rough scored him last night at 178. I did see other good bucks but I don't think I would trade my buck for any of the others I saw. Thanks to all the MM'ers that helped make this hunt a success.

Hey Desperatehills,

My buddy and I stopped by your camp on the rhino. You had the horns hanging off your trailer awning. That is an awesome buck! I shot my deer a couple of days later. I posted a picture of him in the mule deer forum. It was nice to meet you and your wife. I'm glad you had a good trip back to oregon!

Jed

Hey Hills.
Remember this comment:Let's see some Blood on that new Stroker.
Once again,nice Buck.

My name is Black Velvet & proud of it.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom