I

Idahotrophyhunter

Kamiah hunter shoots wolf; may have been first of the season
By Rocky Barker - [email protected]
Published: 09/01/09

Comments (14) | Recommend (0)

1/3

Rocky Barker/Idaho Statesman
Idaho Department of Fish and Game warden Matt O'Connell checks the wolf tags of Boise hunters, from left, Dusty Bowen, Cody Huddleston and John Huddleston on the first day of wolf hunting season near Idaho City.

Photo provided by Robert Millage

Photo provided by Robert Millage

ADDITIONAL DETAILS
Send us your hunting photos
ELSEWHERE
Photo Gallery: 2009 Readers' hunting photos
Robert Millage of Kamiah shot a wolf shortly after dawn Tuesday in the Lochsa area and may have been the first to claim success in the state's wolf hunt. Millage, a real estate agent, said he was surrounded by a pack of wolves before dawn and waited until light to call them with a hand call that sounded like a wounded coyote.
The wolf came fast to him 25 yards before Millage shot him with his .243 rifle.
"The whole area is lousy with them," Millage said. "But I guess it was the luck of the draw."
Millage said he had not seen many hunters.
"I figured I had complained so much in the last few years we didn't have a season I thought I'd better go," he said.
Millage was on his way to Lewiston to show the animal to Fish and Game and to take it to a taxidermist

LAST EDITED ON Sep-01-09 AT 04:36PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Sep-01-09 AT 04:34?PM (MST)

Robert Millage
photos of wolf

4a9da0bf64de08f3.jpg

4a9da0d9656b7096.jpg

Great Job!

To bad you could only shoot one and not the hole pack.

A news reporter in Idaho Falls told me that the guy who killed the first wolf in getting hammered by the anti's. Of course.

The Christian

Hope things pick up, the enviromentalists are trying to stop the rest of the hunts from opening. Kill-em all and Quick

scrat.jpg

Quiet, Smooth Start to Idaho Wolf Hunt​

Idaho?s first wolf hunts began September 1 with few hunters afield and reports of three wolves taken.

Wolf hunters are required to report kills within 24 hours and show the skull and pelt to Idaho Fish and Game authorities within five days.

Deputy Director Jim Unsworth noted that the successful hunters followed the rules and that the system for reporting harvest worked smoothly. Idaho began selling wolf hunting tags for the first time August 24 but no glitches in the licensing system were reported despite a one-week volume of more than 11,200 tags sold.

Conservation officers in the field for the first day of the hunt reported no violations and a light turnout of hunters, according to Chief of Enforcement Jon Heggen.

From setting wolf seasons through the tag selling process to reporting of wolf harvest by hunters, ?the system is working,? Unsworth said. ?And hunters are excited to have the opportunity,? he added.

So far, two wolf harvest reports have come from the Lolo wolf hunting zone and one from the Sawtooth zone. These are the only zones of the 12 Idaho wolf zones to open September 1 and are the zones where the impact of wolves on elk herds are documented to be particularly severe. Two other zones open September 15 and the rest on October 1. A harvest limit of 220 wolves has been set for Idaho.

Hunters may encounter wolves with radio collars. They may shoot wolves with collars but are required to return the collars when they check in their wolves with Fish and Game. Hunters are asked not to cut or otherwise damage the expensive collars which can be reused to monitor wolves for management purposes.

Hunters must report a kill within 24 hours by calling 1-877-872-3190. They can call the same number to find out whether a wolf zone is closed. Zones will be closed to hunting immediately when the harvest limit in each zone is met. Rules pamphlets are available at vendors, Fish and Game offices and online at http://fishandgame.idaho.gov where harvest numbers will be shown for each zone.

TONY MANDILE
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

How To Hunt Coues Deer

number 4 is on the ground. Stanley area.
I think they were dropping faster before the season.
unless of course we are all really bad shots.
Thats OK. just keep trying.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom