First Rio Grande Turkey

5yearcoueshunter

After 4 years of trying to get my first Rio Grande Turkey subspecies, I finally got one opening morning. Super stoked to get him!

Roosted this Tom Tuesday night. Wednesday morning I worked into about 150 yards of the roost tree. Turned out he had at least 5 hens with him. They were all very vocal before flying off the roost. I couldn't get him to come to me with all those hens and the hens weren't interested in my call at all. I could see him about 100 yards away strutting and gobbling occasionally but they would never come my way. After about an hour they slowly moved off in the opposite direction. The hens feeding and the gobbler strutting the whole time! He would answer my call occasionally, but he wasn't very vocal. I used the thick cover to move around and try to get in front of the flock since they wouldn't come my way. Once I got to where I thought they might be, I called and nothing. After waiting around for about 15 mins thinking I had lost them, I gave another call and he gobbled right in my face! I finally saw him off to my left in the thick bushes, strutting like crazy. The hens moved into the grassy meadow I was watching and were feeding maybe 5 - 10 yards away! After what seemed like forever, but probably was only 5 min, the gobbler worked his way into the same opening the hens were and I let him have it. One of the most exciting mornings I've had! Another species to mark off my NM bucket list!

9 in beard, 3/4 in spurs and close to 20lbs
100_1783_zpsdru9tr4z.jpg
[/URL]

After roosting him on Tuesday, Dad and I decided to wet a line for catfish in the river before going to bed. Sure glad we did as we caught 2 of the biggest cats we've ever caught. 8lb channel and 6lb blue.

100_1757_zpsougwq7l5.jpg
[/URL]

100_1761_zps1y3jcgoe.jpg
[/URL]

I'm so glad I took off opening day from work. Good way to start off the season! Hope it's a sign of a good draw! haha

Travis

Well done, Travis. I'm impressed that you were able to get in front of those blasted buzzards without getting busted. I've tried to do that a few times only to send them off into the next county.

Nice cats too.

Thanks guys.
Finally had a chance to go out again this past weekend. Had a great time and got to watch my Dad call in another nice Merriam's up North. Love hunting those things in the high spruce/aspen forests. Good spring gobbler season for us!

100_1795_zpsyudf0vas.jpg
[/URL]

Travis

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom