First season elk

virgil125

I see some of the first season elk units went from either sex tags to either bull only or cow only tags. Do you guys think it will be harder to draw a bull tag or easier? What about cow tags they usually had leftovers but know do you think guys will apply for them earlier and make it harder to get one?

I can't see any way it would become harder to draw than the either-sex license, unless, of course, they lower the quotas.

I called to find out what the bull and cow quota will be for the units I applied for and was told they are not set yet.

It is hard to say for sure. It depends on quotas and they do not get set until after the draw deadline. I would always tend to say that cow tags should be easier to draw because fewer people "want" to hunt cows. However if they totally cut out the cow tags, or cut them to just a handful then the bull tags will be easier. I think this year is a shoot or miss year. Since so much has changed it iwwll take a couple years to see where they are headed.

They did this last year on unit 21 and issues a bunch more tags. I believe the first season bull hunt went undersubscribed on that one... or at least there were tags available after the draw.

sled_guy

I guess what my question is i am taking my 15 year old nephew along along this year for his first out of state hunt and with the tags being either sex before you could shoot any legal elk. What i am wondering is if we all apply for bull tags is if there will be any leftover cow tags to get him one of those so he can still shoot either one. Just not sure how it is gonna go in the draw especially since we dont know what the tag numbers are gonnna be.

Depends on the unit you hunt. Not all cow tags are "B" tags. In other words, in some areas, you can get a bull AND a cow tag and in others, you can't

If it were me, I would put in for a bull tag as a first choice and a cow tag as a second choice. If he pulls the bull tag and if there are leftover cow tags and if they are "B" tags, then he could get both.

BTW, you can be my uncle too if you want!

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom