First time elk hunting in AZ 6B

KTK

Hello everyone,
Just looking for any other advice in this unit? I have driven up 4 times looking around but having a hard time visualizing how the December rifle hunt will look there. I have read about being up early and looking lower than normal, down in the canyons. So far I have seen some places northeast of Sycamore Canyon that look decent but not sure if I am wasting time there? I have also been advised multiple times be ready to hike, which shouldn't be much of a problem.
Again, any direction would be appreciated.
Also, I have been told staying south of Turkey Butte is probably best? I am hoping to go check that out here next week?

Last edited:
Very, very tough hunt. Some people get lucky and stumble across elk in easy to get to areas, but not the majority. Alot of people don't even see an elk on the hunt. I've been on it numerous times. Turkey Butte gets hit hard the first weekend, including south of there. Get in the canyons and on the ridgetops away from the main roads. Alot of the canyons are pretty steep/deep.

Very, very tough hunt. Some people get lucky and stumble across elk in easy to get to areas, but not the majority. Alot of people don't even see an elk on the hunt. I've been on it numerous times. Turkey Butte gets hit hard the first weekend, including south of there. Get in the canyons and on the ridgetops away from the main roads. Alot of the canyons are pretty steep/deep.
Very very true- you’ve gotten some good recon info.. Glass glass glass from canyon tops & sides- more time glassing & less time hiking/walking is the key ? in my opinion anyway. It’s not an easy hunt or pack out either.
Stay out all day & glass ! You could get lucky ? & drop a good bull. Be out there hunting at 1 st light ?!
Best Wishes & Happy Hunting !
Jerry Gold In Windsor, Colorado ?

Great advice from above. Open country will have majority of HUNTERS ? Hunt draws/canyons that shade up 1st in evenings. Water near a plus ... be prepared to back pack elk meat. Possibly a tough physical hunt. Good Luck. Bruce & SilverGrand

Keep track of the weather and possible heavy snow that will close access. There are only a few access roads. I recall one season where hunters had to abandon their travel tralers until spring. A hunt a few years ago had heavy snow and hardly anyone got in.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom