First time Muley hunter Questions

Harper22

I have never hunted Mule deer before. I am planning a hunt in Idaho.
1.) Is the first week of the October season the best week to hunt?
2.) When is peak rut in Idaho?
3.) Any other advice for hunter new to Muleys?

The first week of October is a tough time to hunt deer, juut about anywhere. Peak rut is usually mid to late November. Bring the best optics you can afford!

Spend a lot of time glassing. Glass big areas with an initial obvious sweep then get smaller and smaller and more detailed. Once I learned this I was much better at finding them.

>There is no beat hunt. Idaho
>has severely low numbers.Try Colorado
>if I was you.

Ain?t much better in Colorado right now. Mule deer opportunities are a vanishing thing in the west.

Coloradoboy

If you are open to archery or muzzleloader, I would recommend these over rifle. During general seasons in Utah, I have had much better success and quality of outing hunting primitive weapons over rifle.

As stated above, rut is in November and typically no hunts occur during the rut when bucks are overly vulnerable.

Just my $0.02

LOL- Doesn't sound like anyone wants you hunting the states that they hunt. I do the same with fishing spots!

I've never hunted Idaho, but I'll be as helpful in a general sense as I can. If it were me, I'd base when I hunted them this way: If I want to backpack in somewhere and hunt the backcountry, I'd go as early as I can. If I'm car camping, I'd go later and let the "opening day rush" wear off.
Either way that time of year, bucks are in thicker cover more than early September or during the November rutting period when they're looking for hot does.

The same deer are in the same general areas, the good ones just don't spend much time STANDING out in the open. They're there, just much harder to find. Bigger bucks lay down at the first hint of daylight, and don't get up until about the time you're thinking you're out of shooting light.

In early October, I'd find an area that holds some does and small bucks, then hunt above them to start. Deer like the same kinds of feed and water sources, so the bigger bucks are probably somewhere nearby, just not dumb enough to hang with deer that graze out in the open during daylight.

Get on a ridge that allows you to see a lot of country and look at every little spot slowly. look under trees, against rocks, and right out in the middle of the open for deer that are lying there still. I am always surprised at where bucks bed for some reason. Every time I think I have their tendencies figured out, I see one bedded somewhere I never would have thought to look.

If you're in canyon country, glass one area for a while, then sneak over the ridge to the next drainage. If nobody's bothering them, they might stay up feeding a little longer.

Hope this helps at least a little.

good luck.

Harper-

Idaho can be a fun state to hunt. My best advice for hunting there, is be in the best shape possible.
Also, the terrain in Idaho changes a lot throughout the state, so you want to decide what kind of hunting you want to do.
You've already got some advice on this topic, keep at it, there is a lot more to learn.

Good luck,
hwy

Thanks for the advice. I plan on backpacking a few miles into the mountains. I have a general season tag which is October 1-30 for rifle. I only have one week to hunt. So you recommend backpacking in and hunting the first week in October? Just curious why the first week and not the last week when it is closer to the rut?

Just did a scan on the IDFG website. I don't see any general rifle tags Oct 1-30. Almost all the seasons open the 10th. Some end the 24th, some the 31st.

Mule deer in October are tough. They are off their summer patterns and wearing their heavy winter coats in the balmy fall weather. The bigger bucks tend to bury in timber and are pretty tough to hunt that time of year. My two cents, but I suggest Idaho as a five year plan. A few years to learn the terrain and deer habits, and then a couple to find a nice buck. But honestly, it's overhunted and suffering from 2 out of the last 3 winters of extreme winterkill.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom