first time

muzz

Long Time Member
So I bought a call and went out calling for the first time. I did three stands, called in a dog on the first stand and it wouldn't come in any closer then 500 yards. So I shot and just missed. second stand nothing and third called one into 200 yards and plugged it. Awesome and im hooked. I want a gun for this that has low recoil and I can do follow up shots quick if needed. What ar style gun is reliable and accurate enough? What calibers are available.

Thanks in advance

O--one
B--big
A--ass
M--mistake
A--america

Anymore I don't think you can buy an AR that isn't accurate enough for coyotes. I have an R15 as do a few of my buddies and we all love them. I also have a few buddies with Rock River Coyote and Predator Pursuit and a Fred Eichler and they are great too. As for calibers they pretty much make anything you could want now. I choose the .223 because of cheap ammo and brass for reloading and none of my shots are typically over 200 yds, but I feel confident out to 300.

I've shot them with an AR, for the same reasons you mentioned.

But, I've learned that you'll only get one, maybe 2 really good shots, after that, well, it's pointless. I prefer the 22-250, I keep my scope set at 10 power, and it kills whatever it gets pointed at. I have killed doubles, dogs on the run, but like I mentioned earlier, I'd rather have one really good shot than a 30 rd mag.

Also, try not to shoot at dogs over 300 yards out. One, reason is, that's a damn small target. My longest kill was 525, but it was a lot of luck, definitely not the norm. Secondly, coyotes are wicked smart and shooting at them at long range just makes them even smarter. If you follow any of the pros, they kill a lot of dogs with a shotgun. The point to calling dogs, I believe is to get them as close as possible, and in the best position to kill them as possible. Plus, having a coyote so close you can smell his breath is way more exciting than lobbing shells at long range. Anybody can do that, but it's way more fun when they're licking the end of your boots.

I bought my first Ar last year. I planned on hunting dogs with it. Since August I have shot 16. 15 with the bolt action 22-250 and one with the Ar. I just prefer the bolt action. I get to antsy and shoot them at longer range and the Ar I have isn't exactly set up for long range shooting. If the Ar is what your set on I would think the 22-250 would be a great one.

IMO 22-250 is not a good choice in an AR. Yes it's probably fun, but your basically going to an AR10 platform which is a lot heavier then the AR15. Not to mention only one place makes them and its called the UMAR by Olympic arms and they are hard to come by.

As for what smitty said I have to disagree to an extent. I have hit running coyotes on my 7-10th shots if they came in as a double or if I make a bad shot and it takes off running. I would too rather have one good shot, but lets face it they are a small target and fast and your not always going to get or make one perfect shot. Why not be able to stay on your target and have 20-30 rds ready to go if you need them? I use to run a bull barrel 22-250 and I killed a lot of coyotes with it, but after getting my AR I sold it and haven't looked back.

I think my 223 will do for awhile, Im just starting out calling dogs and its exciting. Just curious to what you guys that hunt dogs think and have to say. I hope I can get as good as some and get them to come in to shotgun range.

O--one
B--big
A--ass
M--mistake
A--america

There are two things you can depend on when calling coyotes; They appear out of nowhere and no matter which gun you have in your lap it will be the wrong one.

I like the bolt action .22-250. I can usually see the impact. I call a lot but I also shoot some over the hood of the ol Honda accord. An AR would scratch the crap out of my car. I lay the butler creek neoprene sling down on the hood then lay the rifle on that. Just a thought.

A bolt action fits in a bipod a little easier. The debate about cartridges and styles can go on and on, but one things for sure........ain't nothing funner than a coyote commin in and not knowing the end is near!!!

"That's a special feeling, Lloyd"

LAST EDITED ON Nov-19-13 AT 06:55AM (MST)[p]
>A bolt action fits in a
>bipod a little easier.

Where did you come up with that? That's ridiculous.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom