First Timer - Archery Mule Deer - Idaho

9Fingers

A friend and I are trying to narrow down what zone to hunt in Idaho this upcoming September during the archery season, more than likely the first 10 days of the month.

We are looking for a high country hunt where we would/could pack pack in and set up camp. Although it would be awesome to see and kill a giant, I'm not real concerned with killing the next state record as opposed to getting a crack at a buck. Looking for a zone with good numbers and the potential for a mature buck. Because we will be first timers our expectations are somewhat low.

As far as terrain is concerned, we are willing to put in the work and hike as far as needed to get to a "good spot"

Any advice would be helpful?

Thanks in advance!

It's hard but a blast! I did it for the first time ever this year. Probably saw well over 150 deer and some nice bucks. Issue is getting close to them. They are incredibly smart you will realize once you can't shoot them from 200 yards away.

Get closer than 200 yards... CHECK!

If you don't mind me asking where did you hunt?

We are looking at Frank Church Wilderness for starters.

Any advice?

The Frank Church has solitude and Backcountry, but not Deer numbers as compared to other areas. If you scout it then it could be worth the time. My understanding is that there is no early Archery, at least in unit 27, the Rifle opens Sept 15 though. You will see more Deer in the zones to the south for the time spent and I think this is more what your looking for as a first timer.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom