Fish lake elk

W

Weatherby1

Was hoping to find someone who knows the area in fish lake LE and what to expect

I hunted the late season last year. It was a tough hunt. I ended up shooting a mature bull. The taxidermist that did the skull mount guessed his age at 13. He scored just over 300 so he wasn't a giant. I received a lot of help from people on this site. In 6 days of hunting we saw 36 bulls, only 4 were mature bulls. Now that I know the unit I think I would do better next time. I am sure if you search the threads you will find a ton of info on Fish Lake.

Thanks for the info that helps. I was considering a premium tag there but just needed to know if worth it

I am in the same boat, trying to hunt Utah before I get too old! Read the synopsis by Founder in another thread. From my research, it is pretty spot on.

Bottom line is you can put in for one of the top tier units and may never get a tag, put in for some of the medium units and have a shot, or go low and maybe get picked in the next few years. As stated, if you would settle for a 320-330 bull, then Fishlake is a great unit and that size bull is no slouch!

But be careful looking at last years odds. People flock to one unit, then another, so odds can fluctuate. The best intel on the odds is on hunterstrailhead. You have to pay, but it has data on the last 5 years to get a sense of what you are looking at.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Weatherby1 are you a resident or non resident? If you are a resident, and truly want a 380 bull, and have the points to draw fishlake premium. Check out Beaver Muzzleloader. Beaver is one of the best units in the state right now. They only give 4 resident tags, but you will be hunting big bulls!!!!

LAST EDITED ON Feb-10-14 AT 05:21PM (MST)[p]here are a few fishlake bulls I have taken over the years with High Top Outfitters Clients and some from previous years.

343"

358"

364"

364"

411"

411"

www.hightopoutfitters.com

I am a resident the only reason I was looking Fl was cause I should be able to draw a premium tag. I like your suggestion on beaver but again I am not real familiar with that unit I have seen the elk on Pahvant I know what's there but beaver I don't. Are they usually busted up by that time on the ML

Yes those are all fishlake bulls I grew up on the unit and have hunted there my whole life. The Monroe unit was my backyard as well growing up so I know it real well since I could be on top of the north end in a 20 minute drive from my folks house.

As for the beaver I have not hunted there other than goats but we do have guides on the unit for elk. The beaver like somebody said earlier is one of the best in the state right now and would be a good choice. we have killed some great bulls off the unit but I hear it can be a tough demanding hunt ( as is any hunt ) very steep and thick in places but very huntable and should be considered when you apply. If your going to be at the western hunting expo swing by the High Top Outfitters booth and we will talk some more.

www.hightopoutfitters.com

Thanks big6 I will definitely try and stop by to talk to you I really appreciate the info

Big6 stopped by at the show guess I should have got your name but I did talk to Lance and Chris for a while and I asked them who you were and they were not sure but anyway I enjoyed the conversation with them I am sure we will be talkin later I grabbed a card from lance.

I didn't see Taylor (Big6) at the show on Saturday. A few of the guys went to the Henry's shed hunting, he may have been one of them? I did see his parents there though .

Hunted the FL on the archery and Premium last year. It's my home unit and I love it. If your getting info from Taylor you can't go wrong!

thanks for that feedback Muley I have been trying to get with him.How did your hunt go

It's was a great hunt. Weather was tough but still had a great time. I did a write up in the elk forum. I think it was call My Fishlake Hunt or something like that.

I will try and go check those out I pretty much already made my decision now I just need to draw.

Nooo don"t do it ! There are no elk on Fish Lake. Only 300 to 320 bulls. Taylor shipped those bulls in for clients .
There is thick timber and and deep thick country that helps the bulls on fish lake. If they go in you can go in after. But you will only see there legs running around you at 20 feet. Packing out is only on your back, no way to get horses in.
But some beautiful country.

Lmao your a funny man Bigjohn guess I will be lookin somewhere else sounds like no place for a flatlander.

BigJohn, I don't know why anyone won't believe us that there are NO ELK on Fishlake. None. Don't go there.

In fact, I'm gonna waste coming off a waiting period just to go verify that there are still NO ELK on Fishlake.

Right, John? ;)

Preddy

There are no Elk on the Fish Lake unit but if there are some Elk this year BIG6 / Taylor always seems be able to find them. If you go with Taylor you will not be disappointed.

I got it there are no elk on fish lake Taylor has them brought in so now I just need him to bring one more

He hides them down in that draw near Pelican Point. Feeds 'em hay all year, pumps 'em up with TrophyRocks, then lets 'em out.

NO ELK on Fishlake. Unicorns, yes. Elk, not so much.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-13-14 AT 04:49PM (MST)[p]Man I leave for a little while and everybody gives my secrets away, I see how you guys are. all truth be told BigJohn brings them in for me from St. George everybody knows that elk antler growth is better in warmer dry climates with no water.

Like I said Taylor just need ya to bring one more.Are you going to be at the expo this weekend

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom