Fishing 2024

lovehunting

Looking for advice and recommendation on fishing trip for 2 to 4 guys. Father and sons. Been once before for halibut and salmon on kenai and in Seward. Budget friendly as possible as we are working men. Willing to help anyone out on elk hunting in New Mexico or Colorado.

You want to go to Calder mountain Lodge. Fly into Petersburg. Best deal. Everything included. Look up Calder Mountain Lodge web page on Google. Best deal with the best fishing for kings, silvers, pinks, halibut, ling cod, and sea bass.

If you are looking for big halibut I don't think there are many outfits that land more 100 lb+ halibut than Highliner

2 very different options there. One is fully guided and the other is self guided. Fully guided will likely have several other clients on the same boat. You will have the comfort and security of the guides and their experience, but will have almost no say in what you do or where you go on a daily basis. On the self guided they give you the boat, fishing gear and bait, but the rest is up to you. It will only be you group on the boat. You are in control of your own destiny, for better or worse. Self guided typically have much more generous limits if bringing lots of fish home is a priority. Both can be a fantastic experience. I much prefer the self guided trips, but for the less experienced fishermen they can be intimidating.

The 2 recommendations shared above both look like great options. This is another good outfit to check out.

Looking for advice and recommendation on fishing trip for 2 to 4 guys. Father and sons. Been once before for halibut and salmon on kenai and in Seward. Budget friendly as possible as we are working men. Willing to help anyone out on elk hunting in New Mexico or Colorado.
Really does depend on what type of fish (salmon, halibut, rockfish, trout, grayling, etc) you want to focus on as well as what time of year (assuming a summer month) and which part of the state you want to visit (Kenai peninsula, SE, Bristol Bay drainages, interior, Kodiak and Aleutians, etc) for other things such as sightseeing, tours, hiking, hunting, etc. And also method of getting to Alaska (plane or cruise ship, etc).

With a little bit more information I'm sure people could give you a more focused response.

2 very different options there. One is fully guided and the other is self guided. Fully guided will likely have several other clients on the same boat. You will have the comfort and security of the guides and their experience, but will have almost no say in what you do or where you go on a daily basis. On the self guided they give you the boat, fishing gear and bait, but the rest is up to you. It will only be you group on the boat. You are in control of your own destiny, for better or worse. Self guided typically have much more generous limits if bringing lots of fish home is a priority. Both can be a fantastic experience. I much prefer the self guided trips, but for the less experienced fishermen they can be intimidating.

The 2 recommendations shared above both look like great options. This is another good outfit to check out.
This is perfect advice. The only thing I would add is in some places you can always do both. Id recommend staying at a lodge of some sort, booking the very first day of your trip as a charter, learning what to use and how to fish, this will give you a big advantage the rest of your trip when youre doing DIY.

Thank you everyone for responding, want to do a few guided to get the hang of it, then diy. Was not much of a fan on the king fishing on the kenai, in motor boat technique was called bouncing I believe. Really enjoyed fishing in Seward with a small charter Caught rock bass, few silvers, and snag chums. Homer was ok for halibut, love the fish, would consider other areas. Enjoyed the kenai for reds as diy. Would like to bring home lots of fish. Research begins. Thank you all.

You Might Understand The TIDE?

And Maybe You Don't!

Them Guides Know Where To Be On Different Days When It Comes To Big Halibut!!

You Can Probably Catch Halibut Any Day At The Chicken Patch!

But Plan On PISSCUTTERS!

You Might Understand The TIDE?

And Maybe You Don't!

Them Guides Know Where To Be On Different Days When It Comes To Big Halibut!!

You Can Probably Catch Halibut Any Day At The Chicken Patch!

But Plan On PISSCUTTERS!
YOU WANT TO SEND HOME FISH BOXES OR YOU OK WITH FIX BOX SOUP?! CHICKENS FILL THE BOXES!!

Calder Mountain Lodge is self guided and great fishing. No hidden costs once off of the plane. They do guided trips also. You can go guided first day and then self guided the rest of the week. $3300 I think per person snd everything is included. 5.5 days of fishing. Great food, great boats, great gear, great rooms and beds, all fish cleaning and sealing included, and your fish boxes are included too. They have all the rain gear and boots too. They are like LesSchwab tire center. When you come in they come running! Everything is taken care of. I can’t believe what you get for a full week for the price they charge.

LOL!

Sometimes The Limit Is Down To 1 HALIBUT Per Day,Depends On The Year!

One Fish At The Chicken Patch Equals Some Small Boxes!:D

The Choice Is Yours!

I Don't Really Care If You Go To The Chicken Patch Or Not!

Just Trying To Pass On Some Info!

If You Haven't Been To Alaska Before & Are Planning On Catching Big Fish & Lots Of Them You Might Consider A Guide!

Maybe You Don't Care?

Maybe The Chicken Patch Is For You?

Maybe You're A Pro That's Done It Many Times?

Post # 10 Wasn't Directed At You Or Anybody-else!

If You're Not A Pro,Check What dvolmer Posted Above!

And Best Of Luck On The Alaska Trip!

YOU WANT TO SEND HOME FISH BOXES OR YOU OK WITH FIX BOX SOUP?! CHICKENS FILL THE BOXES!!

So dv?

Have You Done Any Dolly Varden/Trout Fishing There?

Calder Mountain Lodge is self guided and great fishing. No hidden costs once off of the plane. They do guided trips also. You can go guided first day and then self guided the rest of the week. $3300 I think per person snd everything is included. 5.5 days of fishing. Great food, great boats, great gear, great rooms and beds, all fish cleaning and sealing included, and your fish boxes are included too. They have all the rain gear and boots too. They are like LesSchwab tire center. When you come in they come running! Everything is taken care of. I can’t believe what you get for a full week for the price they charge.

LOL!

Sometimes The Limit Is Down To 1 HALIBUT Per Day,Depends On The Year!

One Fish At The Chicken Patch Equals Some Small Boxes!:D

The Choice Is Yours!

I Don't Really Care If You Go To The Chicken Patch Or Not!

Just Trying To Pass On Some Info!

If You Haven't Been To Alaska Before & Are Planning On Catching Big Fish & Lots Of Them You Might Consider A Guide!

Maybe You Don't Care?

Maybe The Chicken Patch Is For You?

Maybe You're A Pro That's Done It Many Times?

Post # 10 Wasn't Directed At You Or Anybody-else!

If You're Not A Pro,Check What dvolmer Posted Above!

And Best Of Luck On The Alaska Trip!
Tongue in cheek—I’ve never been (yet). One of my best friends has a charter business in Ketchikan so I need to get up there asap.

For those who have experience with Highliner lodge or their mothership the Emerald Isle I would love to hear more about your experience with them. Have them on the top of my research lodges list.

So dv?

Have You Done Any Dolly Varden/Trout Fishing There?
We have at times fished off of the docks with spinners and have caught saltwater Dolly Varden before. CML is located in Point Baker Alaska at the tip of Prince of Whales Island. Its sister city is Port Protection (Nat Geo Reality show). My buddy has a place in Port Protection and I go up there 2-3 times a year. Bill Miller owns CML and we have stayed there a time or two with him. It’s nice because it’s far enough out there that you can fish for lings and seabass along with great halibut and all kinds of salmon. A lot of the places close to Petersburg, Wrangle, and Ketchikan have good salmon and halibut but no access to lings and seabass.

IMG_3479.jpeg

IMG_3459.jpeg

IMG_3487.jpeg

Eleven of us went to Calder Mountain Lodge a year and a half ago and we brought home 1100 pounds of processed fish. 100 pounds each. I’m going to Port Protection for a week this July and then going to CML for a week in late August.

You've Definitely Been In to The Bigger Fish!

Are The Salt Water Dolly's Good To Eat?

What Size Boats/Number Of Fisherman On Boats Does CML Run?

A Guy Should Damn Sure Do Them Alaska Trips While You're Young & You've Still Got Good Circulation To Help Keep You Warm Up There!

Thanks For The Info & Pics dv!

Eleven of us went to Calder Mountain Lodge a year and a half ago and we brought home 1100 pounds of processed fish. 100 pounds each. I’m going to Port Protection for a week this July and then going to CML for a week in late August.

You've Definitely Been In to The Bigger Fish!

Are The Salt Water Dolly's Good To Eat?

What Size Boats/Number Of Fisherman On Boats Does CML Run?

A Guy Should Damn Sure Do Them Alaska Trips While You're Young & You've Still Got Good Circulation To Help Keep You Warm Up There!

Thanks For The Info & Pics dv!
Not to sure how good the dollys are to eat. We never mess with them that much. We have bigger fish to contend with and target. Standard CML boat is 18 foot with 60 hp Yamaha’s. For a slight fee upgrade you can get the 20 foot covered boat with the 90hp Yamaha’s. That is what I would recommend. It’s all on their web page. 2-4 people in a boat. I think three is all you want for salmon trolling. 2-4 is fine for bottom fishing. When the eleven of us went they gave us 4 boats. If two guys go by themselves they will get their own boat. You are never forced to fish in different boats with anyone that isn’t in your party. What’s nice about CML is that it’s out where the fish are. You don’t have long boat rides to get to the fish. Best fishing is right in front of the lodge 5 minutes from the dock.

Just Wondering How The Dolly's Taste?

Salt Water Versus Fesh Water?

They Gotta Be Related To A Brook Trout Looking At Them?

So?

I'm Guessing You Don't Have To Deal With The Tide As Much As Some Of The Other Places?

I Like The Smaller Boats/Less People!

Not to sure how good the dollys are to eat. We never mess with them that much. We have bigger fish to contend with and target. Standard CML boat is 18 foot with 60 hp Yamaha’s. For a slight fee upgrade you can get the 20 foot covered boat with the 90hp Yamaha’s. That is what I would recommend. It’s all on their web page. 2-4 people in a boat. I think three is all you want for salmon trolling. 2-4 is fine for bottom fishing. When the eleven of us went they gave us 4 boats. If two guys go by themselves they will get their own boat. You are never forced to fish in different boats with anyone that isn’t in your party. What’s nice about CML is that it’s out where the fish are. You don’t have long boat rides to get to the fish. Best fishing is right in front of the lodge 5 minutes from the dock.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom