Fishlake archery Deer advice?

Mallards_Only

Hey guys,
Drew this tag thinking I might have a chance at the elk tag as well and figured I might as well have a deer tag in my pocket too. Long story short, didn't draw the elk. So now I have only the deer tag and would only be able the hunt the last week of the season due to a goat hunt conflict. Was thinking of turning the tag in. Any advice? What do you think the chances are of killing a decent buck that late in the archery season in this unit?

The chances of killing a decent buck with archery are tough anytime. If you can scout the unit ahead of time, that helps, but to go in cold turkey, I would say your chances are pretty low. I don't know what kind of hunter you are or anything like that, but this is just my opinion. I have hunted the unit for years and my percentage is pretty low...

That's kinda my problem. I could potentially make a pre-season scouting trip but, by the time I was able to hunt 2 wks into the season, all that scouting would likely be for naught as I imagine any good bucks would have been pressured by then. What would you say the deer densities are like on the unit?

The numbers seem to be doing better the last couple of years, but not a lot of mature bucks. Some areas seem better than most, but all in all, not any kind of trophy unit yet. Of course none of the general deer units are doing too great...
There is a lot of spike elk hunters that time of the year also, so there is another thing to think about...

MO, Glad to see that someone got Fishlake. I have hunted it the last couple years and there are some good bucks up there but you have to hunt them smart. If you go to Hancock Flats on the West side of Fishlake you can go up to High Top and take that road to the north which will put you all the way up on top. You can than glass down in the different bowls that run from Rock Canyon north looking to the West which you should see some good bucks and elk and then be able to drop off the top to put a stock on. Very steep terrain up on top looking down but this will give you the best opportunity to get after big bucks. There are some good bucks on Mnt. Terrell also but you have the Sheep Valley crowd to the north working that area also, again VERY steep terrain but there in there. PM me [email protected] if you want any help in knowing where some cool water holes that also produce also, peace and good hunting.

Mike,
Great advice! Thanks. I'll definitely shoot you a PM if I decide to keep the tag and not turn it back in. Wondering if I shouldn't pick up an OTC spike or cow tag as well just to give myself some more options.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom