Fishlake mid season hunt 2023

HNTNFSH

Just wondering how you all think the mid season hunt on fishlake will be this coming year? My son and I are thinking about this hunt, Will it be busy with spike hunters? My health isn't great and I would like to have a good opportunity for us both to harvest elk together?

There will be a LOT of spike elk hunters-no way around that. The Fishlake, Wasatch and Manti units will always have the most spike hunters of any units because of their proximity to populations and because those 3 units hold the most elk.

You will run into hunting pressure no doubt (don’t expect otherwise or it could ruin your hunt), but you can still find good bulls if you hunt hard and smart. Most spike hunters aren’t going to push themselves too much and may actually be a help to you if you communicate with everyone you see-they will tell you if/where they have seen big bulls. Use all of that to your advantage and you can have a good hunt.

I think if you know the unit from previous spike hunting adventures and have two weeks to hunt... you should be fine. That unit is a very popular spike unit, just like the Wasatch or Manti. Most of the spike hunters will only hunt weekends, especially opening weekend. Fishlake does have good access and lots of elk. Good bulls can be found. Sorry you don't have great health. My dad struggled to get his elk because he was truck bound and on oxygen. He shot at one nice 6x6, but missed.

IMO, this hunt is going to be great for what's intended for. Keep that in mind and I think one can have a great time. There will be lots of hunters, but as pointed out things should quiet down during the week. Don't know how your health is, but if you are able to hike some it will increase your opportunities.

I'm curious to see where the points required ends up on this one.

Just wondering how you all think the mid season hunt on fishlake will be this coming year? My son and I are thinking about this hunt, Will it be busy with spike hunters? My health isn't great and I would like to have a good opportunity for us both to harvest elk together?
If you have health issues and your boy is 17 or younger, you could mentor him and both carry a rifle.
if you have health issues you don’t need the stress of getting two bulls and you don’t need the work to get two bulls off the mountain. I would recommend have two hunts in different years and have twice the memories.
good luck

Thank you all for your time and comments, I'm hoping my health will turn around, I'm doing everything possible to make it happen, this will probably be the only time my son and I can hunt bulls together in a LE unit, I never got to hunt elk with my dad, this what my son has always dreamed about, hopefully we can make it happen.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom