flatlanders and altitude

Chow_Hound

I basically live at sea level. I have been out west a couple of times at modest elevations (7500 ft) and have had some issues (headache, naseau, loss of appetite) that lasted several days.

I am considering a wilderness archery elk hunt in CO. Most seem to be at very high altitudes - above 10,000 ft. If I do this, I plan on arriving 2 days early and spending time at a lower elevation and taking Diamox. I also will either not hunt the first day at camp or just sit by a wallow and not exert myself. However, I am still worried about being miserable the whole time or, worse yet, getting serious altitude sickness.

Just wondering what others experiences have been above 10K ft and if those with more experience think it is worth the risk.

Thanks

I have never had any trouble, but the first time I hunted at elevation I too considered Diamox. The problem with that is my doctor would not prescribe it for me, said there were too many side affects?

Over the counter motion sickness medicine works for most people.

As stated, drink lots of water.

Try to spend a day, doing nothing, at an elevation half of what maximum is going to be.

I usually have a grinding headache for the first two to three days at elevation. I drink lots of water, take Excedrin for the headache during the day and Excedrin PM for the headache at nite and to help me sleep.

I take lots of people hunting who come from sea level up to about 2500 feet in elevation. We spend a lot of time between 6500-9000 feet. I have found that a day to acclimate for every 1500-2000 foot change for them works wonders for most of them and there are no issues. Take it a little easier the first day or two hunting also, drink lots of water, and lay off the alcohol and there is no reason for altitude meds below 10K.

I usually drive out from Indiana. Spend the night in Eastern Colorado at an elevation somewhere between 4500-5000'. Finish the drive the next day, set up camp and not do much more than that. Tend to camp between 9,000-10,000' and really don't need more than a day or so to acclimate.

That said, I have hunted between 11,000-13,000'....and THAT is a totally different animal for me. More like three days to acclimate. Even after a few days, I have to be careful not to push the envelope.

As mentioned by others....proper hydration is paramount.

My doctor would not prescribe Diamox either. Doubt I would even consider using it unless hunting above treeline.

I have camped above 16,000 feet and it can be tuff breathing at night. You basically cant sleep because you wake up gasping for air when your body starts to relax. Hiking around at that elevation didn't do a thing to me. I did it all day long. The only thing I did was drink lots of water and ate a few of these cookies.. you should be fine if you get some cookies.. lol

3243p1000515.jpg

P1000514.jpg

P1000502.jpg

4a7d1f93337c7fd7.jpg

Nets are for fish!!

Sounds like you're thinking about the Flat Tops. I read up on how to deal with Hypoxia/Altitude Sickness and there are some things that help. The most interesting thing I found was it doesn't matter how good of shape you're in...Altitude sickness can effect anyone in any shape. No alcohol. Lots of water. Go slow. If you start to not feel good, go back down until you do. Good luck.

HK

I used to always puke the first day from altitude sickness but last year I took Diamox and I felt as if I never left home. It made the difference for me. I will use it again this year for sure. One side affect is that it makes carbonated beverages not taste too good but I'll take that over puking out my mouth and nose as well as a headache that makes you almost blind.

flyingbrass
cold dead hands
NRA Life Member

LAST EDITED ON Jun-16-10 AT 05:18AM (MST)[p]For what you describe, I would definately find a doctor that will prescribe diamox. Bad side effects from this drug are rare. And you can also take it before you leave to see how it affects you.

I have also found a herbal remedy that helps tremendously. I usually don't have to take the diamox when I take this. Very inexpensive. A couple of packages does me for a trip. http://www.altitude-adjustment.com/

Most of what can be done has been mentioned. However, Rolaids (antacids) also helps. 3 tablets three times daily. Part of the symptoms are because your blood gets slightly acid.

I will emphasise as others have: drink water, more than you think you need. And then drink some more. Drink until you have to go to the bathroom extra. You will be surprised at how much that takes at altitude.

No alcohol or caffeine.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

it can't be overstated: drink when you are thirsty - drink when you are not. water and gatorade.

mshred

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom