FMJ's Yes or No??

MuleyMinor

I am currently shooting a Z7 at about 62 draw weight and 29.5 draw my FPS is 260. The FMJ's i shoot are weighing in at about 495 grains. What are your guys thoughts of the FMJ with this setup? Would i be better off going to a Velocity or Pro Hunter? Any help is much appreciated!!

Is it 260 with FMJ's or with a lighter carbon arrow?

I had a 27.5" - 62 lbs draw and with FMJ 400's I was only getting 238 fps on a 445 grain arrow. I witched to some GT ProHunters with 125 grain tips and 65 lbs at 385 grains and was getting 270 fps.

That 30 something fps gain gave me about 4" tighter groups between 30 and 40 yards. It's just that extra bit of forgiveness in yardage estimation I was looking for.

For you at 29.5" draw it won't make anywhere near that much difference and the FMJ's will probably be a great choice. They are definitely one of the best arrows made.

Cheers,
Pete

I think the FMJ is the ulimate arrow. With your draw lenght and draw weight using the 400 I am surprised at your low Ft/sec.

We shoot the FMJ 340's with 100gr. G-5 Strikers, total arrow weight 466gr., 27.5 draw lenght on 60# bows and don't have those issues.

Don't get to hung up on numbers####...Traditional as well as Recurve bows shoot heavy arrows that fly much slower and they have killed more game over the years before compound bows ever existed. They do it with well placed shots and a lot of KE.
It is all about kenetic energy KE. If your bow is sighted in and you can hit your target I don't see a problem with your current set-up because your have a huge amount of KE. If you want to gain some speed as well as better arrow flight. You may wish to try purchasing some 100gr. broadheads. That would drop your total arrow weight down around 465gr. It would only cost you the price of three broadheads to try this out and to gain some over all arrow/flight efficiency. We get total pass through's on elk at 40yds with a well placed shot with our 466gr. arrows/ I suggest this because you already have a lot of money invested in some fine quality arrows. You have other options that purchasing arrows. :)

Merry Christmas,

))))......>

MuleyMinor: Also hopefully you have 2" Blazer vanes on those FMJ400's. If you have fletched up with the older 4" vanes you will not get all the effeciency out of your arrows. We have found that to get the most out of our setup using the newer technology small diamiter arrows. One gets the best results with Blazer vanes and a small aerodynamic style broadhead. Even our local archery shop recommends if they want the best results one can not mix the old technology with the newer technology. They have people all the time that will buy arrows and fletch the old 4" vanes or put on a big broadhead and wonder why they have problems grouping, slower speeds do to all the drag etc. We have found with the 2" Blazers on the FMJ340 we get 8 inches less drop at 50 yds with our G-5 Strikers. Don't know what broadhead your shooting. With Blazers and a small new technology aerodynamic style broadhead you should be able to accomplish maximum results with those lighter FMJ400's.

Good Hunt"n

))))......>

Forget FMJ's, Try the new Gold Tip Kinetics. These are Gold Tip's new small diameter, heavy weight, all carbon Hunting shafts. There is not a tougher shaft on the planet....
Spines ,GPI's,& O.D.
200- 11.6 - .288
300- 10.4 - .275
400- 9.5 - .270
500- 7.6 - .258

I have had great results using the GT Velocity Pro arrows with 2 inch vanes, slick trick 100 gr broad heads, out of a PSE Bow Madness XL. 67 lbs with a 30 inch draw. So far, have had two complete pass throughs on elk in the 30 yard range. It shoots around 310 fps with that set up and is crazy accurate out to my max yardage of 70.

Nothing wrong with the FMJ, they are good arrows, but I wanted the speed and went with the velocity arrows.

Sorry to piggy-back on your thread, but what is you guys opinion of FMJs for a recurve? I have a Double BB Whisper Curve(best custom bow for the money) drawing 55# at my 28" and it is the fastest trad bow I have ever seen. I'm currently shooting Expedition Hunter 5575s and I'm running low, so I'm trying to pick a new shaft. Is the FMJ better than a cheaper shaft with a weight tube? I'm using 50 gr. brass inserts with 145 gr. BHs. Thanks,
MM81

MM81: That is an excellant question+++ I am also interested in the answer to that one.

You really need to talk to a "Pro or Match Traditional Archer" on that one.... or call, email Easton directly for the answer. FMJ's are to expensive to guess or follow anyone's favorite arrow.

I would get the facts directly from the manufacture "Easton" or any other MFG before you purchase any arrows you have never previously shot in that bow.

Good Hunt'n

))))......>

http://www.elknut.com
Vortex Optics Dealer

FMJ arrows are very good & tough arrows & I presently shoot the 300 spine ones! However they will ding up & sometimes bend when hit hard enough at a weird angle or hit by another arrow. They are especially nice out of high speed bows in 3d targets because their removal is extremely easy & they will pass through game with relative ease as long as we as hunters do our part!

But, if I were looking for a new set of arrows for a recurve I would look no further than the Bemans MFX Classics, these are very tough arrows & they offer them in the heavier weight class close to the FMJ arrows. I do not personally care for weight tubes in adding weight to the entire arrow, I've used them in the past & it's just not the same feeling, not sure exactly what it is different, maybe just a mind thing! (grin)

In your case with a 50grn brass insert & 145grn head you most likely will need a 29" arrow for your 28" draw length, this will put you in the MFX 400 spine arrow with the nearly 200grn total head wt. This would be a perfect tuneable setup for you. Plus with that spine you could still play with an additional 50-75grns more head weight if desired & still tune the arrow to your 55# recurve. These are very tough arrows. I hunted with them for 2 years with a 55# longbow, my total arrow wt with a 200grn head wt which included a 75grn brass insert was 500grns. I took a 6 point bull & a 4 point muley buck with a complete pass through on both of them! The muley was a 32yd shot too! My broadhead used was a 125grn SnufferSS, which is the smaller stainless steel version of the original Snuffer. Hope this helps!

ElkNut1

I too have that exact same set up and I purchest some fmjs and took them back the same day I bought them and went back to the goldtip xt hunters and now im shooting 287fps with my bow set at 63 pounds. So I would not think twice about the fmjs, i'd say no way!!! (No offense to fmj lovers cuz thay do have awesome penetration!)

MuleyMinor, I would think the FMJs out of the Z7 are super Quiet. 260fps out of a 62# bow and deadly silent, sounds like a great hunting setup .IMO

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom