FN Questions

muleymaniac81

I am looking to start a rifle build, and am starting slow. Today, I sold my coyote rifle (I now use a shotgun and leave the rifle work to my partner), and went to a gun shop to look around. In the used section, I came across a FN 98 sporterized for $295 and I couldn't pass it up. It's stamped PV on the action and the bolt and serial #108XX. It's got J.C. Higgins Model 50, Sears, Roebuck, and Co on the barrel. Can anyone tell me if I found a good action to start with? Is that serial number really early or am I reading it wrong? What would be a good caliber to go with from the .30-06 bolt face? 280 Ackley, I'm thinking??? Thanks for your help,

Mitch

Are you sure on the model number. My cross reference books does not list a model 50 J.C. Higgins made by F.N. for Sears. I do know that FN did make centerfire bolt action rifles for Sears in the 50's or 60's. So did several other rifle makers.

If it is in fact a commercial FN action, it will be a good one for building your project gun. As for the caliber, any with a .473 cartidge rim can be used without any modification to the bolt face or extractor and that includes the 280.

You can also save money as Shilen and Douglas both offer pretreaded barrels for that action with short chambers. Brownells carry them. Brownells.com

RELH

The action says, FN Action - Made in Belgium. The barrel says J.C. Higgins, Model 50, next line says Sears, Roebuck, and Co, 583 98 Cal 30-06. Not sure if that helps. I found one other Model 50 on gunbroker in 30-06. That was the only other Higgins on there that wasn't a 22.

Nothing wrong with the Mauser action but they're heavy and not very popular anymore. I'd use a controlled feed 70 or a 700 action if you're planning on putting much money in this build. if you ever go to sell it you'd be glad you did.

You do have a commercial FN action. You can build up a very accurate rifle real cheap with that action. Buy a Shilen pre-fitted, short chamber match barrel from Brownells. Take the new barrel and action to your gunsmith and have him lap the bolt lugs for better contact, face off the receiver, install and chamber the barrel. Find a good sny. stock you like and bed the barreled action to it and you should end up with a very accurate rifle.

Due to the prefitted barrel, your gunsmith does not have a lot of lathe work and his price should be much cheaper. Only drawback is the Mauser is a heavy action like dude stated above but I do not mind the extra few ounces.

RELH

I'd take that mauser action over just about any commercial action built today. They are still popular with high dollar custom builders. Good Find and don't listen to anyone who may say otherwise.

Here are some pictures of the Belgium Model 98 Fab. Nat. action this is a 7x57mm Mauser I had built for me back in late 60's over in Guam/Okinawai by a American Gunsmith who contracted to do gunsmithing for the Navy there for a number of years.
I changed the scope from the original one an old Bushnell 2x7 to a newer Leupold scope about 15 years ago I think.
The action was "sporterized" and along with the engraving and a real nice piece of walnut, he also did the "oak leaf" carving on the stock. As you can see I also had the floor plate engraved along with the GOLD RAMS HEAD. There is alot of other engraving he done to the rifle too.
I used this rifle every year till about 1993 when I bought another rifle that had a "Syn" stock so I did not have to worry about the scratching and scraping on the wood finish.
16967x57mauser4.jpg

48957x57mauser3.jpg

37287x57mauser2.jpg

58187x57mauser1.jpg

30925x57mauser.jpg

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

Mitch, the Sears JC Higgins model 50 is the FN action, which has a bolt safety (versus a slide safety like the FN supreme action). You can use the existing stock and change the barrel, or replace the stock as well. I have done this on several. Depending on what you ultimately want in a "custom" rifle, you may consider changing the safety to a three position safety like a Win M70, and also changing out the trigger. Safeties come from Dakota and Gentry, and also Ed Lapour. The Timney trigger is very nice, and the Jewell is even nicer. Personally, I prefer a quality fiberglass stock. Not a plastic stock like what comes on most rifles today, but a Brown Precision, McMillan or HiTech stock. What this means is that the $295 "action" quickly becomes a more expensive hunting rifle, but that is not all bad. I built a .280 Rem in 1992 with a pre-64 M70 action, Douglas barrel, Jewell trigger and a Brown Precision stock. It has take 4 rams, many elk and mule deer and countless coyotes and whitetails. In 1992, it cost less than $600 plus the M70 action to put this together. Today, the budget for your rifle with the Brown Precision stock, adding the 3 position safety, a new trigger, a quality barrel, bedding, matte bluing, etc. is likely $1200, but everything has gone up in price. With a proper barrel breakin, this will be a great hunting rifle. The FN from Sears has the 30.06 bolt face, and is a "long" action. thus, you would not want to do a .308 or any of the derivatives (243, 260, 7mm-08) but would be great for 257 roberts or 7x57, 25.06, 270, 280 AI or even 35 Whelen. Another option is the 6.5x55 Swede.

Is there a reason to not go with a short action caliber? I was thinking 243AI now for coyotes and maybe some 600 yd gong shooting. Wouldn't the long action allow me to use longer bullets? How much accuracy is really lost due to the action length, or is that not the issue? Thanks again.

You can use the shorter calibers. The problem you may run up against is proper feeding of the cartidge you select from the magazine to the chamber.

Pick a caliber you want, get some cartidges in that caliber and see if they feed from the magazine to the chamber without any problems that would interfer with the feeding process.

If they do not feed well, you may be talking expensive feed rail adjustments. You also have to keep the cartidge rim dia. close to the 30-06 or you face making adjustments or replacement of the long claw extractor.

RELH

baker19;

I do not understand your logic. You advise him not to use any derivatives of the .308 but consider the long action great for the 257 Roberts and 7X57 mm.

RELH

Just tried some of my son's .243's in it. It will feed if you fiddle with it long enough. Not exactly what I want in a coyote rifle. The .30-06 shells I have load slick as a whistle. Now I'm on the hunt for a long action cartridge that would make a good coyote rifle. Maybe .25-06???? Any other suggestions with the .473 rim?

Good point on the 7x57 derivatives (257R and 6mm Rem). the original 722 Rem was a short action, and the magazine box on the pre-64 M70 was short as well, both which would not handle the longer bullets today, esp. those with polymer tips, due to the overall length. thus, i experimented with the Roberts in both the FN and the pre 64 Win M70, and found them to be outstanding when it comes to feed and ability to load and use heavier bullets seated out further. the 308 is just short enough that it is perfect for the 700 short action and now the new M70 controlled feed short action. to the other post, the 25.06 is also a great cartridge for the FN action, but I always felt the cartridge was a little "over bore" for the 120 grain bullets and preferred the 270 or the 6.5x55 for something smaller than the 7mm alternatives.

The 25-06 with 87-100 gr. bullets would make for a very good low recoil flat shooting coyote gun. Also a darn good deer and lope gun with 115-120 gr. bullets.

RELH

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom