Footware

I am a Michigan whitetail hunter that is planning to hunt mule deer in Wyoming this fall. I'm looking for suggestions for good footware on a budget. Does anyone have any suggestions?

You don't have to spend a ton of money on foot wear. It really depends a lot on the time of year you're planning the hunt and the type of hunt you're looking at. Are you back packing in for miles, riding horses, or just hunting lower elevations that won't require a lot of tough walking? If its going to be early fall, (Sept) you can get by with light weight boots or even lean towards tennis type shoes, if it is really warm. You should also bring a pair of water proof type boots, again, depending on how cold it is going to be. I like the middle weight MUCK boots for nasty weather. They aren't heavy, they are totally water proof, I think they provide good support, no laces to miss with, and you won't need any gators, as they are water proof almost to the knee. They are very comfortable and won't require any break in period. These work well in rainy, muddy weather, snowy weather, or even dry cool weather. Your feet will stay dry and warm. I don't care how water proof leather boots are supposed to be, they have seams and water will, sooner or later find its way in. MUCKS cost around $130.00 and will last you a long time. Go some place and try a pair on to see if they fit your feet. That is the case with any boot you buy. "Never just order a pair out of a catalog. That's my opinion. Hope it's helpful. Good luck in the hunt.

I agree with most of what bucklover said especially the part about TRY ON THE BOOTS. I'll add that you should try them on with a quality sock liner and the appropriate hunting sock. Avoid cotton sock.
I like a little more support so I avoid the tennis shoe type boots for everything except early season bow hunting.
Good quality isn't cheap but you don't have to break the bank.
Good luck "out west".
Zeke

Thanks for the tip. I'm I'll be in the lower elevation but I suspect a lot of walking compared to my normal tree stand hunting. I have heard of mucks before but have never researched them. I will take your advice and try some on. I am certainly interested in anyone else's suggestions.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-19-12 AT 09:15PM (MST)[p]It's just another opinion, but I prefer a good lace up boot that fits well. I have seen the MUCK boots, but to me they wouldn't be good for very long hikes, especially in low land mule deer country. But I have never owned a pair so take that opinion for what it is worth. I live in the west and I do a lot of hiking when I am hunting, so a boot that is going to hang with you all day is important. I actually have several pairs of boots. Some are pretty pricy for serious sheep hunting, but I also have a pair of Cabelas outfitter boots that were pretty reasonably priced. They are goretex and I have never had cold or wet feet in them.
I have a terrible time fitting my square feet and so sometimes I have to check out dozens of brands to find one that fits. I agree that it is important to try them on to make sure they are right for your foot. Good luck on your deer hunt!

With all due respect, I would absolutely not get muck boots.
They do server a purpose (I really like the pair I own), but I
would never take them on a long hike of deer hunt.

I'd get a pair of lace up boots that were not insulated or 400 grams
at the maximum. Get yourself some good quality boot socks as well.

The most, guaranteed, absolutely water proof boots won't breath. After a couple of hours you will find your socks soaked and feet wet with sweat. Some people's feet sweat substantially more or less than others, so some may be able to get away with a non breathable boot more. I would seek something breathable and waterproof. I like a light weight liner sock with wool over the top.

I don't know what your budget is. I've had some good boots and some bad, but the best pair I've had were a pair of Vasques I bought three years ago. I am hard on boots, but these not only fit me the best, they've stood up and kept my feet dry. They ran me $95 at the time. For others, another brand or model may be better so as stated above, be sure to try on your boots before buying.

The best footware to keep your feet dry are made by Polaris. I believe the model is the Razr. I have never seen a hunter with these on that had wet feet. They must kill alot because all of them looked well fed.

As others have said liner socks with wool over works well for me. My feet sweat alot so I have had better luck with uninsulated boots. For mule deer hunting I would not go without tall[10 in.]lace up hunting boots. My favorite is Kenetrek mountain extreme. Pricy but will last and take almost no breakin. Super comfortable on my feet.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-20-12 AT 10:54AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Apr-20-12 AT 10:52?AM (MST)

+1 on the Cabela's Outfitter boots. My wife and I are both on our second pair. We both had the same problem with the first pair. A seam started to go because the rocky country mule deer inhabit cut through the stitching. But that was after 8-10 years of hard hunting. Our boots have been on many hunts in every condition. We live in Arizona and wear our boots in the most harsh volcanic rock desert. We also use the same boots to hunt in the snow during late season elk hunts in the high country. Never had wet feet or a boot failure. Good support and good grip on the ground. My boots have been in AK, CA, NV, CO, NM and AZ in snow, moose bogs, volcanic rock, dust, you name it. If I'm still hunting and they still make them when I need another pair I will buy the same. They are also available in EE width which is important to me. In fact we both wear EE's. I use good quality wool blend socks even when hunting in the early season when temperatures can be in the 80's. Good socks will save your feet in any boot when you are hunting hard for days on end.

The best part, they are on sale now for $109.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Foot...=SBC;MMcat104797980;cat104826780;cat104841180

I forgot to add, when we were caribou hunting in AK, we brought both the Outfitter boots and Muck boots. After two days, the Muck boots started leaking through small punctures made by broken off branches in the alder thickets. I figured we would have wet feet in either so we went with the Outfitter for the better support when hauling meat back to camp. I was surprised that our feet stayed dry even in the wet tundra. We used Wiggy Waders to cross the rivers. I really didn't think they would stand up to thigh deep water.

The first pair I had, I wore around the house and on short conditioning hikes to break them in. They didn't need it. The second pair went right out of the box to a hunting trip.

Go to a specialty hiking shop that sells boots and shoes. Tell them where you are going and what type terrain you'll be in and what type loads you will carry (on your back) if any, and let them measure your foot and look at your foot type and recommend a good boot. Be prepared to spend $200-$300 for quality boots.

Thank you all for the great suggestions. I never gave socks much thought. Up here layered sod for added warmth is the name of the game. Sounds like I have some shopping to do. I was at Cabelas last weekend and was looking at the outfitters but of course had little to go on. Ive heard of Mucks and they seem to be fairly popular around here. Maybe because of the cold weather. Sod and try them on. Sounds like good advice!

Some very good advice above. My opinion lace up leather, grease them multiple times. This will save over spending what most of us do for upper end boots.
Wear them for at least as many miles as you intend to hunt, while out west. No harm in wearing them on the stair master.
DO NOT buy them the week before the hunt & expect to enjoy them. GOOD LUCK.

When I mentioned MUCK boots it was assuming the hunt would be a slow moving still hunt, or spot and stalk type hunt. That's why I asked if it would be a long backpack hike in or what type of hunt it would be. I wouldn't want to walk miles and miles of hard heavy pack hiking in MUCKS, but I've spent many days in snow and mud, sneaking around in the timber and waiting for some action, and I've loved their comfort, and warmth. And they don't sweat my feet. For whatever reason I seem to have more trouble with that in leather boots.

Thanks for the follow up bucklover. That seems to go well with the other advice. Hopefully the hike will be short and the buck huge but that probably won't t be the case.

Concur with lace up boots, just a lot more versital

I would also look at this as an INVESTMENT. Did you get a cheap gun, cheap scope, cheap binocs? As in these items you usually get what you pay for. Footware is definately not the place to skimp

FACT: If you have cold, wet or sore feet you will be miserable.

I personally like the Cabelas Mendl boots (own the Denali). Look for a sale and you can usually get them for below $200. HOWEVER, not all Mendl boots are created equal. Look for ones that are MADE IN GERMANY. If it says "imported" they are NOT.

Don't need much insulation if you will be hiking at all, 200 gr is ideal, 400 max.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom