For all the bad management guys

Here's an idea, let's auction off all our tags to deep pocket out of staters and let special interest groups keep the change to pay salaries of fundraisers who then auction more tags. That tag money can then be used to bribe politicians into giving tax money to yet another group to pay more salaries, and create magical forcefields to stop wolves from walking into the state.

Then, we can auction more big game tags, to raise pen raised pheasants to keep the little people content while the important folks hunt deer yearly, while we all beg at the kings throne for some scraps.

That will sure "save the mule deer"
Unlike you the rich people aren't stupid enough to buy tags where there aren't any deer left so that plan kind of self regulates itself.

Plus that plan saves you money every year. You can let those mean evil rich people pay for all the wildlife management in the state or you and the millions of others can keep sending the state money to hunt spots where there aren't any deer. Either way you are still allowed to cry for decades on the internet free of charge.

Unlike you the rich people aren't stupid enough to buy tags where there aren't any deer left so that plan kind of self regulates itself.

Plus that plan saves you money every year. You can let those mean evil rich people pay for all the wildlife management in the state or you and the millions of others can keep sending the state money to hunt spots where there aren't any deer. Either way you are still allowed to cry for decades on the internet free of charge.

Yes, why if we just let the Kronke, Eshleman, Wilks, Zuckerbergs control wildlife agencies it will create the "Serengeti of the West".

Does Don Peay know you plagiarize him?

Who's crying? I'll be on the mtn yet again tomorrow chasing elk. Cost me $50.

You'll be scheduling for 2025 an "elk hunting adventure", that will cost you 25x that.

We ain't the same

Tri-state guy pretty much describing Texas.

I for one can't wait for Sitka deer, giraffe, and whatever other species some moron stalk for money, to be hunting in Utah. Really can't wait for one of those trucks with the 20ft stand on it so I can run and gun.

Not sure we have enough water to grow corn for tge cannons though, nor enough 10' fence.

@Tristate

Maybe we should just follow the Texas plan

The mule deer population in the Trans-Pecos dropped from around 170,000 in 2005 to 152,870 in 2017 and to 120,000 in 2022.

@Tristate

Maybe we should just follow the Texas plan

The mule deer population in the Trans-Pecos dropped from around 170,000 in 2005 to 152,870 in 2017 and to 120,000 in 2022.
Texas plan is working great. You might want to learn about the mohair subsidy in Texas if you want to learn about mule deer numbers.

Obviously it is
Texas plan is working great. You might want to learn about the mohair subsidy in Texas if you want to learn about mule deer numbers.

Without a doubt youre down over 1/4 of you population, and thats in a state with no, or very little snow. Imagine were you'd be if you had winter

Obviously it is

Without a doubt youre down over 1/4 of you population, and thats in a state with no, or very little snow. Imagine were you'd be if you had winter
Texas plan is working great. They haven't cut tags yet and the population is growing. We have added counties that used to not have a mule deer season at all. We are killing more booners than we ever have and we are always learning how to manage them better.

Texas plan is working great. They haven't cut tags yet and the population is growing. We have added counties that used to not have a mule deer season at all. We are killing more booners than we ever have and we are always learning how to manage them better.

So, by the "killing boomers" I guess Utah is off the charts for deer.

And just cuz you say it doesn't mean it's true.

Your down 50,000 muley deer in 6 years, on a herd smaller than ours, in a state way bigger, with no winter kill issues we face. We had record snow, in a state that gets huge snow. We know what happened.

Your states deer herd is declining like everyone's despite Texas being the most private and commercial state with mule deer.

So, by the "killing boomers" I guess Utah is off the charts for deer.

And just cuz you say it doesn't mean it's true.

Your down 50,000 muley deer in 6 years, on a herd smaller than ours, in a state way bigger, with no winter kill issues we face. We had record snow, in a state that gets huge snow. We know what happened.

Your states deer herd is declining like everyone's despite Texas being the most private and commercial state with mule deer.
Our state's deer herd isn't declining and I hope you aren't killing "boomers". And if a herd declines here it's by plan.

Our state's deer herd isn't declining and I hope you aren't killing "boomers". And if a herd declines here it's by plan.

Yeah, a terrible plan. Down roughly 30% in 6 years. Distribution shrinking.

Maybe if there was just someone with a crystal ball you could talk too.

Yeah, a terrible plan. Down roughly 30% in 6 years. Distribution shrinking.

Maybe if there was just someone with a crystal ball you could talk too.
No need. I see everything first hand. It's getting better and better for mule deer here.

No need. I see everything first hand. It's getting better and better for mule deer here.
I don’t know what part you are seeing get better and better. But every single publication from Texas wildlife shows every part of the state rapidly declining in population and buck to doe ratio. But hey, just like all of your other claims, your “first hand knowledge” speaks for itself. Ignorant, false claims. Let’s DEFINITELY FOLLOW Texas lead on this! Our states can cut our herds in half also!!! But, your crystal ball knows all!!!

I don’t know what part you are seeing get better and better. But every single publication from Texas wildlife shows every part of the state rapidly declining in population and buck to doe ratio. But hey, just like all of your other claims, your “first hand knowledge” speaks for itself. Ignorant, false claims. Let’s DEFINITELY FOLLOW Texas lead on this! Our states can cut our herds in half also!!! But, your crystal ball knows all!!!
Look at how bitter I told you so makes yall. I guess it's easier than having to look in the mirror and admit you did this to yourself.

Look at how bitter I told you so makes yall. I guess it's easier than having to look in the mirror and admit you did this to yourself.
First of all, I didn’t cause any of this. I dont set the rules. I pay for my licenses. I shoot coyotes and other predators. I don’t control the weather. And you keep saying “I told you so”…..your arguments make zero sense. “Texas mule deer population is doing great!” Provide facts to show it isn’t, “I told you so!” I’m convinced you either a lonely, bitter old man, or a mentally challenged adult.

Ya, I'm sure Houston is just crawling with Muleys ?

You keep on spouting that 30% loss as a model. I'm sure the biologists from all over the west will be heading to Texas to be educated.

I'd tell you that at some point, check some data, info, etc on the subjects you "know" about, but it's actually funnier to let you dig your own holes, then drop those things on you@

Your armchair analysis is probably close! My point in showing the stats is to show that technology has very little to do with success rates and all this concern about technology isn't warranted.
There appears to be a dramatic increase in ML success rates beginning in the 2000’s. But I’m always a bit wary of these small-sample statistics derived from serial liars.

Here's an idea. Lets just start selling tags for parking lots. Its opportunity right. You get a gun and go stake out Wally World for your next muley buck. Who cares if there aren't any deer there because we manage for good ol' opportunity. A snow ball's chance in hell is an opportunity.

Hey lets get the board to agree we will never ever cut tag numbers on the parking lot tags. If its the only deer in the parking lot unit blast that sumbeeoch. F-em all and give me mine. Its the only thing that will save huntin'.

That idea was tried for quite a while. Sell tags even if the b/d ratio was dismal. Although the ratios are much better now, the herd is still perfectly capable of a steep decrease independent of all the tag cutting. Your complaint was addressed, tags were drastically cut to improve b/d ratios, you largely got your way as the general hunt is hollow shell of what it once was; and you are still angry at the world, discontent with the outcome, and are completely incapable of seeing some merit to an alternative point-of-view.

That idea was tried for quite a while. Sell tags even if the b/d ratio was dismal. Although the ratios are much better now, the herd is still perfectly capable of a steep decrease independent of all the tag cutting. Your complaint was addressed, tags were drastically cut to improve b/d ratios, you largely got your way as the general hunt is hollow shell of what it once was; and you are still angry at the world, discontent with the outcome, and are completely incapable of seeing some merit to an alternative point-of-view.
I haven't got my way yet.

First of all, I didn’t cause any of this. I dont set the rules. I pay for my licenses. I shoot coyotes and other predators. I don’t control the weather. And you keep saying “I told you so”…..your arguments make zero sense. “Texas mule deer population is doing great!” Provide facts to show it isn’t, “I told you so!” I’m convinced you either a lonely, bitter old man, or a mentally challenged adult.
You own the deer!

Ya, I'm sure Houston is just crawling with Muleys ?

You keep on spouting that 30% loss as a model. I'm sure the biologists from all over the west will be heading to Texas to be educated.

I'd tell you that at some point, check some data, info, etc on the subjects you "know" about, but it's actually funnier to let you dig your own holes, then drop those things on you@
Actually Houston probably has just as many mule deer as you do by now. ???

I just think he's a frustrated businessman whose business isn't doing very well, at least from Utah hunters. Afterall, thanks to founder allowing it, he's got two threads freely promoting his business under the guise of seeking opinions about some new taxi forms he's using. (I regret responding to those threads! He caught me napping. It won't happen again.) And he is using third-person language, personal insults, name-calling, made-up statistics, false "no deer" scenarios in his posts to promote himself and his agenda, which is to reduce the number of unlikely customers and promote the status and influence of the more likely customers, wealthy trophy hunters. If he (and some others on this forum) had their ultimate way, EVERY unit would have easily accessible monster muleys semi-hiding behind every tree. He NEEDS us fighting with each other in order to get that to happen. Please don't feed the TROLL!

I just think he's a frustrated businessman whose business isn't doing very well, at least from Utah hunters. Afterall, thanks to founder allowing it, he's got two threads freely promoting his business under the guise of seeking opinions about some new taxi forms he's using. (I regret responding to those threads! He caught me napping. It won't happen again.) And he is using third-person language, personal insults, name-calling, made-up statistics, false "no deer" scenarios in his posts to promote himself and his agenda, which is to reduce the number of unlikely customers and promote the status and influence of the more likely customers, wealthy trophy hunters. If he (and some others on this forum) had their ultimate way, EVERY unit would have easily accessible monster muleys semi-hiding behind every tree. He NEEDS us fighting with each other in order to get that to happen. Please don't feed the TROLL!
Hossblur posted the article. I could have written it twenty years ago. Why be mad at a guy that can tell you your future?

You know, from the stuff I've seen of his, he looks to be pretty damned talented.

Unfortunately his talent ends there

Don't be dumb Tristate, Texas is 45th in the nation for public lands with 4.2% of PUBLIC LANDS. No question about it if our state of Utah, which is 2/3 public land, was a pay to play state like Texas, deer could be managed better too. The worst part about the government managed deer is the wheels of change are at a snails pace, or slower. The best part about public lands is a lot more of the poor man can hunt.

Don't be dumb Tristate, Texas is 45th in the nation for public lands with 4.2% of PUBLIC LANDS. No question about it if our state of Utah, which is 2/3 public land, was a pay to play state like Texas, deer could be managed better too. The worst part about the government managed deer is the wheels of change are at a snails pace, or slower. The best part about public lands is a lot more of the poor man can hunt.
Hunt what? Everything the state gives tags for easily are crashing. The one species you have plenty of , the state holds tags like strippers with dollar bills.

Hunt what? Everything the state gives tags for easily are crashing. The one species you have plenty of , the state holds tags like strippers with dollar bills.
That needs to be couched in different terms. Cannonball don’t know that means. ??

Your right! Lumpy is as old as dirt and I am older than him. Besides that what does tristate know. The only mule deer they have in texas are domestic on private land. Sit in a heat/cooled stand in an easy chair, plant peas and shoot them as they come to to take a pea.

Your right! Lumpy is as old as dirt and I am older than him. Besides that what does tristate know. The only mule deer they have in texas are domestic on private land. Sit in a heat/cooled stand in an easy chair, plant peas and shoot them as they come to to take a pea.
….pee…..

Very similar method to get a Polar Bear!
Drill a hole in ice and then put peas around it.
When Polar comes over to take a pea you kick him in the icehole.

Interesting how a guy from Texas talks about how little we have to hunt.

I’ve been seeing PLENTY of elk and deer on our public lands this year. I’ve got two tags in my pocket and excited for a continued fun fall.

I guess he didn’t tell me so.

I’m glad I don’t have to pay an entrance fee for views like this!

IMG_8581.jpeg

IMG_8588.jpeg

IMG_8595.jpeg

Very similar method to get a Polar Bear!
Drill a hole in ice and then put peas around it.
When Polar comes over to take a pea you kick him in the icehole.
There are no polar bears in texas except in the zoo. Don't confuse tristate anymore than he is. He already thinks you hunt Mule Deer in Utah like like you hunt Mule Deer in texas.

Sorry I'm late to catch up. I was actually out scouting and guiding. I've hunted both Utah and Texas for mule deer. It's pretty much the same game to hunt. Different to manage.

Ya!!!, Like where you hunt. If you really hunted Utah I'll bet you had certain privileges that the majority of hunters in Utah don't have. I know a few taxidermists in Utah and most have an inside scoop and extra privileges. If you hunted in Utah, other than 100 years ago, you could not compete with with John Doe Public. Give me a break. You were on a Limited Area Hunt or on Private Lands. The remainder of Utahns hunt the 60% of the few deer on open public lands. Lets not play with words(enclose all facts).

Ya!!!, Like where you hunt. If you really hunted Utah I'll bet you had certain privileges that the majority of hunters in Utah don't have. I know a few taxidermists in Utah and most have an inside scoop and extra privileges. If you hunted in Utah, other than 100 years ago, you could not compete with with John Doe Public. Give me a break. You were on a Limited Area Hunt or on Private Lands. The remainder of Utahns hunt the 60% of the few deer on open public lands. Lets not play with words(enclose all facts).

His "good friend WLH" took him

Yep. Mule deer hunting in Texas and mule deer hunting Utah are exactly same.

This guy really knows his stuff!

Privileges are generally earned not doled out willy-nilly. Extra privileges to people who help others are most times given because the receiver has already given something of special value to the privilege provider.

In life we general get what we earn……… as it should be.

Hunting and wildlife opportunities and extra privileges usually go to those folks who are heavily committed and engage fully in the lifestyle. More power to them and thanks to those who make a difference for the rest of us.

Privileges are generally earned not doled out willy-nilly. Extra privileges to people who help others are most times given because the receiver has already given something of special value to the privilege provider.

In life we general get what we earn……… as it should be.

Hunting and wildlife opportunities and extra privileges usually go to those folks who are heavily committed and engage fully in the lifestyle. More power to them and thanks to those who make a difference for the rest of us.

Greg Sheehan says your not always correct

They are just deer fellas. They don't know state boundaries, or dates, or who the person is after them.

Don't overthink stuff because you think it makes you better than someone else.

I find it amusing how much many here wanted to talk about how much better Utah is. Even posting beautiful pictures with no deer in them. But then they didn't go enjoy it. They sat on their electronic devices while someone else went and walked amongst the critters.

I find it amusing how much many here wanted to talk about how much better Utah is. Even posting beautiful pictures with no deer in them. But then they didn't go enjoy it. They sat on their electronic devices while someone else went and walked amongst the critters.

I realize that for you and your “good friend” season dates and tag limitations are more suggestions than rules. But it would be bad for me to shoot a deer and post it’s picture nearly 2 months before my season starts.

Again, I understand how someone like you would not be concerned about that and how maybe it’s confusing to you. It’s hard reading season dates and open and closed areas, I know lol’ buddy!

I realize that for you and your “good friend” season dates and tag limitations are more suggestions than rules. But it would be bad for me to shoot a deer and post it’s picture nearly 2 months before my season starts.

Again, I understand how someone like you would not be concerned about that and how maybe it’s confusing to you. It’s hard reading season dates and open and closed areas, I know lol’ buddy!
I didn't go shoot a deer out of season last week. But I got out there and watched them.

You know you are allowed to go outside even if it's not hunting season????

Why make excuses for sitting on your butt and making accusations at a person who actually goes and has a lot of fun in the outdoors?

tristate, You're on this site so much is the taxidermy business slow? Can't imagine you get much scouting or hunting done or even work. My excuse is I'm old and fishing is even starting to look better and I don't much of that. :)

Actually I wasn't on the sight for over a week. I was gone scouting and guiding for 8 days straight where there isn't hardly any cell service. Thanks for worrying about me.

Back to painting.

Why make excuses for sitting on your butt and making accusations at a person who actually goes and has a lot of fun in the outdoors?

You think those pictures were taken from my office or living room, lil buddy?

You really aren’t very intelligent. I’m sorry you’re confused.

You think those pictures were taken from my office or living room, lil buddy?

You really aren’t very intelligent. I’m sorry you’re confused.
No. I just don't believe you took the pictures or that you are an outdoorsman.

Why are you sorry all the time?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom