For eating purpose's buck, bull,cow,or doe ?

L

Lifetimehunter

Horn's aside which do you think taste's the better over the other's ? Bull, Buck, Cow, Doe ? I've had them all and would prefer them in this order, cow, doe, bull and a buck .

I like elk just about any way you can cook them , but prefer my deer in chili, stew , jerky or other dishe's that help to hide the gamey taste.

How about you guy's ?

I got a decent 3x3 last year and he tasted better than the cow elk I shot...

Lots of variables, but overall my picks would be-

Moose
whitetail (coues)
Antelope
whitetail
elk
muley

Seriously though, I've had old rutty bulls and bucks that have tasted better and been more tender than young animals. I think for the most it's all old wives tales. There's too many other things to consider.

I've had cow elk and does that have tasted like %<%<?, and rutty buck deer and bull elk that'd rival a filet from Ruths Chris.

Doesn't matter for me. My wife got ruined on all big game and fish and in youth so unless it is jerky it is not coming into the fridge or freezer.

My favorites in order are:

1 Moose
2 Elk
3 Deer

I've never really been able to tell the difference between a buck or a doe or a bull or a cow.

After talking to the old timers that went though the depression. when it came to getting the winter supply of meat, they preferred the cows over bulls for the quality of meat. In fact they passed up many trophy bulls during the 20's & 30's. Same thing with does over bucks.

RELH

My list:

1. Oryx
2. Moose
3. Elk
4. Whitetail
5. Mule Deer

I hope to try some axis deer in the near future. I hear it is delicious.
WYmoose

So far I prefer whitetail deer to anything else I've harvested. Muley bucks then antelope - both are strong IMO. Put it in chili alot, or make breakfast sausage. Some day hope to get moose and elk which usually taste much better. Also never noticed much difference between buck/doe or mature/young animal.

I haven't bought a steak at the store in probably 3 years, maybe more.

I also have noticed that it really is not a BIG issue animal to animal, but the things that I have found remain constant.

Adrenaline - makes the meat taste gamey
Rotting - makes the meat taste - rotten
Hairy - makes the meat taste like - hair
Pee and pellets - no explanation needed

My favorite is probably a calm - alfalfa fed antelope.

Then would be elk - eating on mostly grass, then deer.

I also like mountain lion, which I would put up close to elk, but better than deer, IMO - tastes like high grade pork.

My favorite bird is Chukar.

If the animal is calm when shot, skinned properly, cleaned out properly, and cooled properly, then the meat tastes fine.

Shooting a bull elk in the rut, who has been up for nights on end, is not going to taste as good as a cow that is calm and going about her business. Same with a mule deer, or antelope.

My all time favorite is Carribou but I haven't found any big game animal that I don't like.

Preparation starts immediately after the kill. I don't get it with the "gamey" statements. I guess I don't know what gamey is.

Nothing better than fresh antelope backstrap grilled in butter, garlic and onions sprinkled with some Susie Q Santa Maria style season salt. Best tasting antelope I ever had came from area 132-134 in NV.

Steve
T&A Inspector

Never had antelope, caribou, bear, or mountain. From some of the comments on here Antelope must be really good. Can't wait to try it.

What about wild turkey any body had that? I only had it once and it was pretty good.

Tops for me is a coastal blacktail that has been in the acorns (live oak or white oak) for a couple weeks. Next is pronghorn. I had some cow elk once. It was great too.

Eel

you cannot beat a midwest, cornfed whitetail...those things pretty much taste like a farmed meat! And they're fun to hunt.

I could not care less as long as it was an animal I shot and I took care of. If you take care of the meat properly they all taste great.
I will not trust my meat with any butcher type of person, it never leaves my control.

I would rather trust a 10 time convicted thief in my house for 30 minutes before I let someone else take care of the animal I shot.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

They all taste great to me but a sheep tops then all. I also cut all my meat. I would never take my animals to a butcher, espcially with some of the crap I've seen guys hauling around.

I've enjoyed antelope, whitetail, mule deer, elk, moose, caribou, black bear, rabbit, grouse, pheasant, dove, quail, duck, geese, snail, squid, octopus, clam, oyster (not), crab, lobster, shrimp, salmon, trout, pike, perch, walleye, bass, crape, blue gill, halibut, dorado, cod, and lake whitefish. (Never tried wild turkey, wild sheep, wild pig, shark, cat, dog, insect, snake, or rodent.)

I've eaten old ones, young ones, male and female. Most of it I've eaten many different ways, raw, roasted, barbied, fried, dried, smoked, jerked, brined, boiled, baked and broiled. Floured, marinated, seasoned, dried, and pied.

The only one I will not eat again is oyster......I've had it three times, three different ways, flour fried, smoked and raw with lemon and tabasco. I spread out the attempts, the first at around age 8, the second at around age 40 and the third and last was last spring at age 62. Three times is a fair and honest effort. I will only ever eat an oyster again if and only if it's an oyster or starvation, and I don't care what you saw it does for your..........!

For me, the best bird is quail, any kind, any way.
The best fish is cod, deep fried in beer batter.
The best weird-wiggly, is lobser any way.
The best big game, by far, wish I had some today, is: any deer liver, fresh shot for breakfast, floured and fried on top of bacon, covered in spanish onions, cooked just a little crispy on the surface, slightly past medium but not dried out on the inside. Seasoned with Redmond Salt and black pepper.

However, I would trade any and all of it, three pounds to one, for corn feed beef.

DC

I think some of you are off of your rocker....
The only thing worse than moose, is duck!!
I remember my dad cooked some dutch oven
moose. After that, he just threw the oven away!!
Maybe we just got a bad one?????

A young bulk elk is the best game meat I have had. It was better than the bison I shot as well.

The best wild game i ever had is young cow elk. Thing is we quartered it minutes after it tipped over.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom