FORDS MEAT LOCKER GONE DOWN HILL???

MuleyCreek

Has anyone else had horrible customer service at Fords meat locker this year? I for one won't go there again or refer anyone to go to them. I have been going to them for year's but not anymore. Does anyone have a recommendation for a better Butcher? One that's good to there customers and honest?

I have generally had good luck with Ford's. What problem did you encounter this year?

Hawkeye

Browning A-Bolt 300 Win Mag
Bowtech Destroyer
Winchester Apex .50 Cal

I have heard good things about Fords as well, however I have never used them personally, as I butcher my own stuff for the most part.
I have used Springville meats with great success for jerky and burger. Maybe give them a try.

}}-SLIVER-->

+1 for Springville Meat - My family and I have been using them for years. They make excellent jerky and are very honest and reliable.

I haven't used Fords meat, so can't really comment on them. I have bought some of their jerky though, which was good btw.

I have used Springville meats now the past two years. Like others have said, highly recommended.

Of the two SM store is a lot nicer environment.

I thought they sucked 30 years ago!!

JRS out of Orem is way better than fords and Springville meat

Skull Designs: Quality European Mounts at affordable prices

LAST EDITED ON Nov-11-14 AT 09:01PM (MST)[p]Yeah, I'm curious to know also. I've been using them for over 15 years. I know the owner Russell can sometimes can tough to work with, I've noticed it depends on his mood. If he's in a good mood he's really funny and easy to work with.

As far as his right hand man Antonio he can be pain, I thinks he hates his job. He's been there as long as I can remember.

Now Carson's meats in Lehi, that guy is something else. Went there twice when I was younger and will never go back even if he said he'd do it all for free.

I have used Fords a lot. The owner always treated me well. I had a pretty major issue two years ago with Fords. What I have been able to surmise is they misplaced my ticket, but wouldn't admit it. After getting their place cleared out after the hunting rush they found it and filled my order. I was mistreated by the owner when trying to figure out what was going on after being given the total run-around. He was a real jerk.

But I still went back last year to give them another chance as I really like their stuff. I dealt with his right hand man who was much more pleasant and I had no issue with my order. I'm hoping my one bad experience was an outlier and they can do well in the future. If I ever have even a remotely close experience as I did in 2012 I will never return.

I only have two experiences with processors because I butcher my own. My dad took an elk to Fords and in Provo and I thought the processing quality was fine. Everyone says they have good jerky, but they seem to use a weird process where the meat fiber ends up w a freeze dried/squeaky texture. The marinade they use does taste good, but I think it must be full of MSG or 10X more salt than normal because it makes my fingers swell up and I don't pee for like 18 hours after eating it. He also has a big doggy treat business, which is fine, but kind of makes me hope he doesn't get my order mixed up!

The processor I'll use again is Clay Meiers in Sandy. I only used it for a cow elk for the first time last year, but I thought the place was clean and I felt Clay himself was running a good business. This is probably the amazing obvious, but the guy looks like a butcher. He told me they just invested in some new packaging equipment that cost him more than 6 figures. He explained how they process and age everything and give options for adding fat etc. At the end of the day, the elk we had processed was really excellent. The packaging was better than what I have seen from any grocer or beef processing plant. All the burger was in tight 1 lb cubes of thick plastic shrink wrap. During the year we ate it, we never saw a single bit of freezer burn. It was also extremely easy to store because of how compact and uniformly packaged it was. The roasts and steaks were great and we didn't find any hair or other sloppy butchering. He was more expensive than Fords, but I think the quality is there.

MT_Grizz.jpg

The "dog treat" business (Mountain Country Foods) is in no way affiliated with Fords meat locker in provo. No worries with dog treats getting into the jerky, as the two separate businesses have individual owners and reside in different cities.

}}-SLIVER-->

My experience with fords was not great this year. Have used the last 4 years only for jerky. If I were to do a whole animal meiers in SLC gets my vote. Poor service and jerky was dry this year.

I use 3 places:
-My garage
-Springville Meats
-Clay Meir

Never had a bad experience with any of them.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-20-14 AT 02:08PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Nov-20-14 AT 02:06?PM (MST)

I took in an animal for a client of mine. Upon the request of the client I told fords to Jerky the whole animal and add 40% beef to the mix As the girl wrote up the ticket she asked "how many steaks to a package". I laughed and said no steaks just Jerky. She says oh okay so you want 40% beef added to the jerky. And I replied yes. And she wrote it on the ticket right on front of my eyes. As I left I contacted my client and told him it was all taken care of and he would get what he asked for.

Two weeks go by and I haven't heard anything from them. I call in and ask about it. She comes back on the line and says it's ready you have 8 bags here to pick up. I say 8 bags? With beef added? And she says uh hang on a second. After holding for a few minutes she comes back on and says we can't do that. There is no way we could add beef to your jerky. So I reply but when you took my order you told me you could. And she replies No I wouldn't say that. When we do jerky all game brought in is put into one pot made into jerky then we divide it up and fill the orders. So I reply so your saying customers don't even get there own meat back? And she replies Yup it's not possible for us to keep it all separated.

Wow I couldn't believe that she told me she would do something then do the opposite. I asked to talk to Russell Ford and she said he would tell me the same thing. She refused to let me talk to him. And informed me that she would be running the meat locker from thus point on and Russell would be doing his dog treat shop in Spanish fork.

They where not professional about it at all. And did nothing to resolve the problem! And would not admit to making a mistake.

Just one more reason I process all of my own. I don't want my carefully quartered and quickly-cooled deer, elk, or pronghorn mixed in with someone else's that rode around in the back of their truck for four hours in 70 degree weather so they could stop and show all their buddies their kill and maybe grab some pancakes on their way to the butcher. Buy a grinder, learn how to make your own jerky, and process your own game. It's gratifying to do it yourself, and you know that it's been done right from the moment the animal hits the ground.

This would obviously be more difficult for an outfitter to finagle, but most of us regular guys can process our own stuff with minimal equipment and a few extra hours of work.

>Just one more reason I process
>all of my own. I
>don't want my carefully quartered
>and quickly-cooled deer, elk, or
>pronghorn mixed in with someone
>else's that rode around in
>the back of their truck
>for four hours in 70
>degree weather so they could
>stop and show all their
>buddies their kill and maybe
>grab some pancakes on their
>way to the butcher. Buy
>a grinder, learn how to
>make your own jerky, and
>process your own game. It's
>gratifying to do it yourself,
>and you know that it's
>been done right from the
>moment the animal hits the
>ground.
>
>This would obviously be more difficult
>for an outfitter to finagle,
>but most of us regular
>guys can process our own
>stuff with minimal equipment and
>a few extra hours of
>work.

Yer playin my tune 505! :D

I have always processed my own game, not everyone has the time or the interest to perform this task.....I have almost as much fun around the "cutting table" with family and friends as I do chasing critters!

Assume when you drop off game at a processing shop that not only are you most likely not getting back what you have cared for properly, you are getting hair, dirt and pink slime from other critters that were field dressed poorly....period

Steep

Jared at JRS in Orem does a awesome job, you get your meat and no one elses, he will grind it up for jerky or whatever you want, no cutting through the bones either, I had a elk cut up by fords 12 yrs ago and said never again, bone shards all through the meat.

Skull Designs: Quality European Mounts at affordable prices

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom