Forensic photos of big games kills

SneakAttack

Very Active Member
If you have pics of how the arrow or bullet performed on an animal, I'd like to see them. Any animal, and weapon. Give details of the bullet, powder charge, arrow, broad head and shot distance. This stuff really interests me. So if you have some to share, please post. I like the photos from I think it was BBB or BuglinBilly of the animal autopsy. We can learn a lot from how different set-ups performed.

2986photo6.jpg

2012 californi deer
shot with a 7mag using 140 TSSX bullets

distance about 35 yds.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-12-13 AT 01:52PM (MST)[p]I don't have any pictures to display but I was a hunting guide on a ranch for Pigs and sheep for years and definitely got to see my fair share of what broadheads worked great and which ones did not. Any broadheads that have their blades fold forward and expand from the tip like grim reapersI have seen fail with no blade expantion on impact And would consider them garbage. I have witnessed many muzzy broadheads break and fall apart before exiting the animal Along with thunderheads or any others with a hard plastic shaft And replaceable blades. Rage broadheads do perform great. They rip giant holes when they do open but I have seen them fail and not open at around 45 degrees of impact. f15 broadheads dont woek very well. G5 montec broadheads are definitely a good choice. They are tough solid will not break and do the job quite well. The g5 tekkens i jave seen pass through with nothing more than a field tip hole. For a lighter poundage bow that generally will not punch an arrow straight through an animal ram cats are a good choice. Their double bladed edge Does a great deal of damage when the broadhead gets stuck inside them. For mechanical broadheads I personally use trophy Ridge meat seekers. They have a piston head and the blades sit backwards and deploy forward on impact. I have never seen them fail and I have never had an animal go more than 45 yards that I've shot with them. They have good penetration and usually give me clean pass through's even when hitting the Shoulder blade. If anyone else has questions about any broadheads that I haven mentione feel free to post about them.if I've seen them shot ill let you know how they did
"I've hunted almost every day of my life, The rest
have been wasted"

These are a few that I have harvested with a martin bengal set at 29" and a 68 lbs draw weight shooting gold tip velocity 300's with 100 grain grim reaper razor cuts. Out of every animal that I or anyone I know that has shot with these broadheads, I can only think of one elk that died out of sight.
None of these pictures are of just the wound, but you can still see them.
This was my first archery harvest. You can see the hole in the neck.
18432011_buck.jpg

This one punched right through both shoulders and was as good as new afterwards.
57682012_buck.jpg

This one dropped in her tracks.
26032013-08-24_09.46.40.jpg

in that last pic you cant see the wound. but you can see all the blood around it!

Here's one that I think is interesting. A large boar pig that I shot with my 7mm Rem Mag from about 75 yards. Remmington CoreLoks. I think 175 grain. Broadside shot, bullet went through and stayed inside the skin on the opposite side.

pig2_bullet.jpg

You can see where the bullet impacted the hide and stopped about in the middle of the picture. I put the recovered bullet on the body on the right side of the picture.

This gives you a good feel for the thickness of the armor on those bigger boar hogs. The feel to it is very much like hard plastic/rubber liner material. Kind of like a cross between a floor mat that you put on carpet to put wheeled chairs on and a rubber bed liner on a pickup.

pig2_armor.jpg

Needless to say, it is thick and can stop a bullet. Just not until it has passed through the other side and all the way through it's vitals. ;)

5f0b48ad-5b7c-4263-88bd-ce1416ad9f78_zpsfc97f01d.jpg

Mule Deer Neck shot 150 yards 300 mag 165 Federal Fusion. He was looking strait at me, he dropped in his tracks. his cape had just a small hole the size of a 30 cal bullett. His neck had a hole blown straight through his spine, it was destructive. pic not for the weak.

npaden, that's good stuff right there. The boar pics re great, really shows the thickness of the amour! Thanks.

hogg_65...I'm not even sure what I'm looking at! Even after you described it. I'd say 'dead right there' doesn't even begin to capture the speed at which that critter died. Nice job!

I love this stuff, what does that say about me? I can't get enough of the intricacies that are involved with harvesting my own food. The faster the kill, the better. I usually shoot Corelokts in 30.06 180 grains for deer and elk. But I think I may check out the Fusions.

When bow hunting, I've fallen in love with the Magnus Stinger 125 grain. Big razor sharp cut on contact heads have served me well.

9040img_1384.jpg

Doe antelope - 146 yds. Exit wound. 270 caliber Federal Premium 130 gr. Trophy Bonded Tip. Distance traveled - about 3 feet sideways!

50 caliber berret
4417image.jpg

Meets 300 lb hog
This is the entry wound. The other side of the hog from about 3 ribs up down to the hind quarter was gone. I lost the exit picture so no picture of the exit blast Pieces of the hog were everywhere as of he had been loaded with TNT. No gutting necessary. All internal organs had been sucked clean out. Can you say overkill?
5654image.jpg

"I've hunted almost every day of my life, The rest
have been wasted"

Here are a couple of pictures showing what a 100 grain SlickTrick broadhead does to a 100 pound whitetail. Shot just a little bit too far back as you can see.

7534img_0832.jpg

5217img_0833.jpg

Trophy Bonded bear Claw, older style. 30-06 180 grain recovered from a 5x6 bull elk. Range was 315 yards and it went though both lungs and was found against the hide on the far side. The only bone it hit were ribs and at that range it has slowed down which may account for the perfect mushroom.

Rage Broadhead shot from a Mathews XL set at 70lbs riding on an Easton Axis 400.

I tried these out one time jsut to see what they could do and I was impressed. However, I have heard to many bad things about failure to deploy to stick with them.

Too bad as most pics I have seen show a gaping hole.

9968dscf2243.jpg

"The problem with quotes on Internet Forums is that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

OK, I know that I am the one in the punchbowl here, but I also suspect that I am not alone in suggesting that these types of photographs do more harm than good. To begin, nearly any modern weapon has the ability to kill most North American game when fairly hit. Perhaps we would be better served spending this energy practicing shooting. Do we really need to be drawn a picture to identify the right tool for the job? Ironically, a good number of the photos here serve only as counter examples--firearms that tear game animals in half would indicate the wrong tool for the job and poor judgment. As sportsmen, our interest in the experience of hunting and the conservation ethic is commendable. Fixation of death and mutilation is not, and plays into the hands of those working against us.

This elk was killed with my Muzzleloader. It is a Knight MK85. The load is a 460 gr paper patched Lee 500 S&W bullet. It is hardened to 7 BHN wrapped in 9# onion skin paper and sized to .501. I used 80 gr of Pyrodex P with an over powder wad.
The shot was quartering to me at 60 yards. The bullet broke the shoulder bone and was found in the flank. This load develops 1753 FPE at the muzzle and still carry's 1150 FPE at 200 yards.This bullet is the only one ever found. I know of at least a dozen animals shot with them. I would not have found this one if I wouldn't have tried for the shoulder just to see the performance of the bullet. She raised up on her back legs at the hit and ran. She went 50 yards and piled up. I am adding a picture of the bullet that weighed 365 gr.

BULLET_zps8e122379.jpg

Cow2_zpsdfa93b41.jpg

Cow14_zps955f043f.jpg

shoulder_zpsc03465bf.jpg

In this last picture you can see an old wound. This cow was shot before at least a year ago. The tumor had a sliver of lead in it and bones. Ron

Cow1_zpsf0990bce.jpg

Idahoron, very good photographs. Thanks for taking the time post your findings. And thanks to everyone else that have posted. Very interesting stuff. Thanks.

bullskin, you can have your own opinion. I'm good with that. I however am fascinated with the way a bullet, arrow, bb, slug etc. performs in the field and at the range. I'm fairly certain I am not the only one that feels this way. I view it as my obligation to know with certainty how my hunting equipment performs. We can learn a lot from others experiences and experience. Many people make a good living studying these exact things...they're called archaeologists. They study the ways ancient people lived, hunted, the effects of ancient weapons and tools. This topic has fascinated people for hundreds of years. I don't see a difference in studying modern hunting weapons and the study of prehistoric weapons. The anti's are going to hate what we do regardless. I'm not ashamed that I want to find the best way to kill an animal I use for food.

I have a 180 gn psp Winchester that looks just like that shot from a .300 win mag, shot at a doe about 25 yards away. Same story , went through one rib on the off side and was stuck between the hide and the bone.

I understand your point and agree that we must have confidence in our weapons. However, it is no mystery that a 7mm mag will take down a deer at 35 yards and a .50 cal will destroy a pig. I would suggest that photos of this sort are best avoided. While the antis will hate us regardless, the goal is to avoid turning those who sit on the fence, who give at least unbiased consideration to the merits of hunting, against us as well. Happy hunting.

Idahoron
That's crazy the old healed up wound wasn't a kill shot. I guess it must have been a little low and went under the vitals. Or to long of shot and not enough penetration?

Ya that is hard to tell. Some people I have talked to blame it on someone shooting a 223 or a 22-25o or some other small rifle. I don't think so because it didn't have any copper in the tumor. Some have said it was a round ball from last years muzzleloader hunt. Possible, I found a small sliver of lead that was in the bones in the tumor. I could see someone shooting too far with a round ball and this happening. What really happened is hard to tell. Ron

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom