Four Guns???

sageadvice

Long Time Member
This is here in the "General Hunting" forum to hopefully get a wider selection of response than we usually get in "Shooting, Guns.."

IF you only could have 4 guns, that would fit in your own budget, rifles, shotguns, pistols, revolvers, or any variation in between, what would those 4 guns be.

Here's my picks, at the moment anyway. :)

1. High Standard 22lr target pistol

2. Remington 700 in 25-06

3. Kimber 300WSM

4. Rem 870 pump 3" 12 gauge 28" mod.

Remember, only 4 picks!! :)

Joey

Benelli Super Black Eagle II

Kimber 1911 45. A-1 loaded version

Remington 257 Weatherby Limited Edition

Beretta White Onyx 28" 12 ga

These are on my wish list at the moment

hard to narrow down to just 4.
1. rem model 700 223
2. rem model 700 25-06
3. rem model 700 300 rum
4. browning gold or silver 3.5inch chamber

The thought of only having 4 guns makes me sick to my stomach.

Benelli 12 guage

t/c semi auto .22

semi custom 300 rum

t/c .50 Muzzle Loader

"The thought of only having 4 guns makes me sick to my stomach."

Yeah, i'm with you but a fun question none the less!

Good catch on the muzzy...i hadn't thought of those!!!

Joey

Ruger M77 300 win mag. Have

Savage 22-250. Have

Savage 22 mag. Have

Benelli super black eagle 2. Want.

That should cover anything I will ever be able to hunt in north America or the world.

NO GUTS, NO STORY!!

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Feb-02-10 AT 11:27AM (MST)[p] Remington 700 .22/250 L/H

McMillan .280 L/H

McMillan .300 Winny Mag L/H

Beretta Silver Pidgeon IV or V in 12 ga 26"

I've got a couple of older shotguns but I love the look of that Beretta and it's something on my wish list. Man this is tough, I ducked the home defense issue altogether.

Good thread Sage!!

This is like asking me to pick which of my kids are my favorite! Not fair but I'll give it a shot.

Ruger 10/22

Pre-64 Winchester Model 70 30-06

Remington 870 in 3.5" mag

Kimber 1911 .45

Cooper arms 22/250
Christiansen Arms Custom .257 Weatherby mag
Christiansen Arms Custom .300 RUM
Winchester Super X3 12 GA/28"

First I'll have an anschutz m1710 in 22lr. Would rather have a .17hmr (and I do), but if we can only have 4 guns I will take the 22lr due to availabilty and cost.
Next would be a Kimber 84m Montana in 308win. Might not be the most versatile, but price/availability is great. It also has taken every BG animal in N America and I feel confident with it in my hands.......If Kimber ever releases the Kimber 84 Long action I might switch to an 06.
Third.....You have to have a scatter gun. As much as I would like to pick a rem 870 I'd have to go with a good sxs in 12 bore for dependability and simplicity. I think an LC Smith or a Parker field grade would be all youd ever need.
And last, you gotta have a pistol for home/personal defense. I dont think I would be happy with my pick, but for dependability reasons and also for double duty as a hunting sidearm I would have to say a S&W 6shot revolver with a 4" barrel in 38/357. I would much rather have a semi auto, but too many moving parts would make me think twice if I could only have one.
Only 4 sucks Joey. I think if 8 was the limit it would leave just enough room for a few "wants" :)

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

LAST EDITED ON Feb-02-10 AT 02:31PM (MST)[p]Way to go guys!! I've yet to see a unthoughtful or poor pick in the bunch.

When i meet another hunter for the first time, i'm usually not so interested as to what they do for a living as i am toward what guns they like to own and hunt with. Sometime, you can tell a lot about a person, just by their choice in guns, what they'd like to have, shoot, and hunt with...just saying!

Keep em coming guys!!
Joey

Kimber 1911 .45
Remington 870 12g
T/C Omega .50
Browning A-bolt 7mm WSM

Not necessarily my favorite 4 guns but with these 4 I could hunt anything in North America.

My 4 favorites:

Kimber 1911 .45
Browning side by side 20g shotgun (dads)
Pre 64 win .270
Ruger stainless laminate .338 win mag.

What about a Four guns Dream wish list?

mine would be

470 Nitro Double rifle (40-50 thousand dollar range)

Browning Continental (very cool)

Berreta Diamond Pigeon or Perazzi 12 ga

Portable Mini gun (Jesse Venturas in Predator)

Cjboz, if you could vision them in your budget, go for it! :)

I'd rather we keep it real though. I don't shoot ground squirrels much like i used to, there just aren't any around here but i do pop the occasional coyote and hunt blacktails, so my smallest pick above the 22lr was the 25-06. To each his or her own. :)

Joey

Man I'D have to sell off a bunch of stuff to get down to just four, but here is what I'd keep, Weatherby 300 mag, Win mod. 71 lever in .348, Ruger 10/22, Ruger super blackhawk .44 mag. (does a BB gun count?)

That was my "dream" wish list. Those will never make it to the stable unless I win the lotto!!!:)

Pistol in the truck, pistol in the wife's purse, pistol in the bedroom, 223 for coyotes, and a garage full of archery equipment!:)

If your counting all guns I can't do it with 4. If you are counting long guns I can make it work but I need a minimum of 3 handguns. Muzzleloaders don't count as firearms under ATF rules unless they can be switched over to a cartridge like the encore or knight so I'm going to exempt my muzzys under this loophole.

Also to be fair the question should be based on calibers not gun models, either that or place a monetary budget because if I can only afford to have 4 guns I wouldn't pick what some of these other guys have picked. Why pick a Benelli SBE when for that price I can sell it and buy 2 or 3 budget priced guns. What would be interesting would be to ask if you could only spend 2 grand on guns what would you get.

4 long guns

1-you can't not have a 22lr so probably a 10/22 or a cz 453.

2-same goes for a shotgun so some sort of 3.5" 12 guage.(Benelli nova if on a budget)

3-this leaves me 2 centerfire choices to cover everything from coyotes to elephants so choice # 3 would be a 270wsm but really any fast 25-284 caliber would work just as well.

4-for the big stuff it would have to be a 375h&h or 375ruger, big enough for Jumbos and cape buff but also good for elk, bear etc.

Now handguns have to be a seperate category and I need 3 minimum.

1-Browning Buckmark 22lr. for plinking

2-a self defense handgun probably an 8 shot smith 357 or even a 9 or 40 in either an FNP,XD, Glock or similar

3- a hunting handgun either a superredhawk in 44 or 480 or a T/C encore in 308

If you only have 4 choices to include everything you're screwed. Somethings going to be missing, either a 22 or shotgun or self-defense handgun. If you cover those three bases you can only have one centerfire rifle so you better make it a good one. I guess if you never hunt africa or dangerous game it would be easier to pick one rifle.

Come On Deadi, quit your whining, about 15 others up above could do it...you can too! :)

I had to have a 22lr as well but the High Standard target pistol i have is just so accurate, i dropped the rifle version in favor of that pistol. I also dropped the 3.5" 12 bore in favor of the 3" version because of my long love of upland game hunting. I do kinda miss out on the .357 or bigger sized weapon though, but if i put enough 22 lr's in any intruder, they sure won't be able to hold water. :)

Joey

I'm just gonna go with what I would want as far as calibers and such. .22 long rifle, 12 guage, .30-06 and probably a .357. Easy to find ammo for and very effective. mtmuley

Not whining sage but it's tough to narrow it down to four. I did an essay on the same topic in College. It was easier then because I didn't have the Africa bug. I will say there are many advantages to only having one or two rifles vs. a dozen. You get a lot more intimate with a single rifle "beware the man who ones but one gun, he likely knows how to use it".

I'd probably have to keep my bmg because it's too much fun and life would be less exciting without it. The only thing that compares to shooting 50bmg incindiaries is a machine gun.

I'm thinking the 4 gun topic equates to waterboarding. It's torture man.

Hello my name is Rob and I'm a gunwhore.

Ruger M77 25-06, Winchester Mod.70 7mm Rem mag., Remington 870 12 gauge, Ruger 10/22. The 870 would have to do for home defense instead of my P95.

Ruger 10/22 for the kids. Have

Ruger M77 300 Win. Have

Remington VLS 22-250. Have and love it!!

And a Red Ryder BB gun for the Cats. Just kidding ??

Browning BPS.

cant be done!

But, just to play along..

10/22
6mm-06
30-378
370 silver hawk

I actually put a lot of thought into it! guess I'll never hunt DG or a muzz hunt again :-(

Joey, I've actually thought about this a lot. I used to dream about leaving the good life behind and getting lost in the Alaska wilderness. I could live quite comfortably with 3.

1. .22LR rifle and bought a Rem. 541T, for all small game and deer sized animals (one shot behind the ear)

2. .30-06 but I came across a Rem. 700 .300 Win.Mag. The .06 would be better for ammo availability though. Moose, caribou, bear.

3. 12 gauge shotgun. I have a Rem. 870 Wingmaster. For waterfowl and upland game birds.

Only come to town twice a year.:)

Eel

Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-02-10 AT 10:27PM (MST)[p]great question!

i guess i think of it as a " if this world comes to an end, or world war 3, you can fit 4 guns under your arms and make it as deep in the wilderness to survive......."

1. id pick my ruger 10/22, almost my 17 hmr, but a box of 50, times how many you can pack, that would be a staple hunter. but it would be a tough one to choose between those 2

2. winchester model 70 30-06: i belive there is nothing on this earth you cant kill, with a good shot to the vitals, with this gun.[ but , DONT GET ME WRONG,300 wby is my go-to now- AND I DONT BELIEVE THERE IS A BETTER GUN OUT THERE!]

3. rem. 870 shotgun: my favorite shotgun is my BERETTA EXTREMA 2, but if i'm down to 4, you cant beat that 870 for dependability!

4.[ and i could be done with 3-- this would be my " want to have gun"]------------ MY BOW!!---- ARROWS ARE RE- USEABLE!

Can't put them in order, to hard.

Browning A5 12 Light.

Org. Winchester 1894 Octagon Barrel 30-30 Cal.

Browning A-Bolt 300 Win Mag.

Pre-64 Winchester Model 70 270 Cal.

If a muzzleloader has classified as a gun it would need to have a barrel off the old Green River machine and I'd want it built by Lynn Brienholt from Richfield, Utah.

I made my list 30 years ago and so far I haven't seen any thing that's changed my mind. If I ever get to Africa I'll add one more to the list, any suggestions for cape buffalo and leopard?

DC

Rem. 700 .223 Rem.

Rem. 700 .308 Win.

Rem. 700 .338 RUM

Benelli Super Black eagle 12ga.

Rem M7 in 223... Have
Win M70 Classic Stainless in 300WM....Have
Rem 870 .......Have
S&W 686 6" ......Have

Had to think about this for a while...If I were to replace one of my choices with a want..It would be the M7 in 223...A Dtech built AR 15 would sure be nice as a replacement good for coyotes and varmints of the two legged variety if the chit hits the fan..

Also stuck on my side arm choice...My Glock 27 sure packs and hides well but cant beat the dependability of a wheel gun..

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

#1 - Benelli Super Black Eagle 12 guage 30 inch barrel.

#2 - Sako 85 Deluxe with Custom thumbhole stock .22-250

#3 - Remington 700 XCR .300 Win Mag

#4 - Kimber Custom Stainless TLE/RL II .45 ACP

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

#1 Benelli M2 12 guage 28inch barrel

#2 Kimber crimson pro carry .45

#3 Winchester 70 custom build 300WBY 26in, blued action stainless barrel

#4 Ruger 10/22

I need the Fed loop hole also for my Omega if not I would have to drop the 22

buckshot

Ruger 10/22

Tikka t3 .223

Tikka T3 3006

A new 'Black' Rifle in .223

Remington 12 guage 3"

Notice there are five, I've found an angle to have more, you DID say Guns, well here are four rifles and a gun.

Time!!! Time Out!!

BeanMan, Just exactly what is it you think you are doing? :)

Four guns, Four rifles, Four handguns or pistoles, i don't care gang but only Four!! No Cheating, it's Simply Not Allowed! LOL

Sure is a bunch of early birds out this morning. Lots of thought and good sense going into these answers, i thank you, have a great day!!!

Joey

SW model 41 .22
REM 700 25-06
RUG M77 .338
REM 11-87 12 gauge

I have my convinced these are the only ones I have.

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, then why did He make them out of meat?"
~Ted Nugent

Man I don't know about some of these choices. Only 4 guns and somebody picks a remington. Remember these guns gotta last your lifetime and the next couple generations after you. I hope you guys got ramrods to go with your remmys so you can pop the brass out after the extractors fail.

Just kidding guys, trying to stir the chit so don't get offended. Remington makes a good rifle, at least they used to.

Mine
300 Win in a Browning Bar
Colt Ar-Sig
P220 .45
Benelli Super Black Eagle II

wow just 4 hmmm

my wife's

30-06 browning bar
rem 870 riot
Ruger 10-22
t/c 50 Muzzy

my son's....

??? is this cheating????

Springfield XD 40
Ruger 22 mag
Rem 700 in 7mm-08
Browning Safari Grade 375 H&H

If it's one gun, an big game all around rifle for me, Winchester pre-64 M70 30-06...

Two, add a shotgun, my choice a M12 12 ga...

Three, add a multipurpose handgun, I'd do a S&W 6" 629, but maybe a Colt 1911 type....???

Now, four is where you have to think...I like hunting rifles so I'd trade the 06 for a .270 and .375 H&H, both pre-64 M70's, of course..... But just keeping the 06 and adding a social gun like a M1A or match type AR would be tempting...

Hey Sage here they are:

7MM
12 ga. Benelli Improve C.
20 ga. 870, Benelli, Baretta

Well I have my four guns and the rest of the ones I own I could live without.

pre 64 Winchester Model 70 - .270 (no surprise there)

Smith & Wesson K22 Masterpiece (was my Dad's)

Browning 20ga Citori - My almost everything shotgun

Benelli Super Black Eagle - For everything else with a shotgun

Jim

If I could only keep 4 of what I have:

22lr - Win 69A - dad gave me when I was 9.
270 Win Ruger M77
375 H&H Sako A-V
12 ga Ruger Red label

That ought to keep me in meat for some time.

Man this is TOUGH! OK:

1)Browning BL .22;

2)Pre-64 Winchester .300 Win Mag;

3)Kimber Ultra Carry 1911 .45 auto; and

4)Remington 870 12 gauge.

Note I left out my favorite .270 WSM because it's easier to use a bigger rifle for smaller jobs than vice versa.

Would be neat to see everyone's 2,3,5,6,7, & 8 gun choices....

1. Remington 700 in .30-06

2. S&W 686, .357 mag

3. Remington 870 Turkey

4. Ruger 77/22

Man that was painful!

I would have a hard time living with "just" 4. But here it goes and in order.

1. M14
2. Rem 870M 12ga
3. Ruger 1022
4. 1911A1

Norkal

INVEST IN LEAD FOR THE TIMES AHEAD!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom