Free Youth Hunt(s)

ICMDEER

Very Active Member
MM Friends,

This is a little long, but I am posting it here to ask for your help. Please read and assist if you can.

Thanks.

Youth Hunter(s) Wanted:

I'd like to take 1-2 young people hunting in 2013. I'm doing this to share the joy of the outdoors and the hunting experience. I've been blessed with a lifetime of hunting experiences and I would like to help young people get a chance to share those same experiences. Here are the details of what I can offer and the requirements:

1. Person needs to be between the ages of 14-18.
2. Either male or female hunters are OK.
3. Must be a Wyoming resident and have completed hunter safety. Might be best if they are from SE Wyoming to save travel time.
4. Can hunt antelope, cow elk or a whitetail. One animal per hunter. (Might get stuck with a whitetail doe.)
5. I can provide almost everything you will need. I will pay for the license and conservation stamp.
6. The hunter can bring a friend or parent, or maybe both.
7. I'll provide a place to stay, transportation, and may be able to pick you up at home if needed.
8. I can loan the hunter a rifle and ammo, binoculars and maybe some gear.
9. The hunt will take place at a time we can mutually agree upon. Seasons run from September through January, depending upon game species hunted and area selected.
10. I'll try to share some of the things I have learned about hunting, the outdoors and wildlife habitat with the hunter.
11. I will also provide them with a cap and a T-shirt.
12. They have to shut off their cell phone when they are out hunting.
13. Decisions need to be made by May 15th so we can apply for the correct licenses.
14. Not a contest. First come, first served. I'll take one or two deserving people.

I would prefer to get a youth hunter who may not otherwise have a chance to hunt. Perhaps from a single parent home or from a nonhunting family. I would also be willing to take the youth hunter (and parent) scouting, prairie dog hunting, or target shooting before the season.

Please have the interested young people email me at [email protected] or call my home at 307-837-3023 if they are interested. I'll take 1-2 youth this year and will do this in future years if possible.

I'm an outfitter, but this is not being done as an outfitter. I'm doing this as a sportsman in an effort to build a future generation of sportsmen and sportswomen.

Thanks for your interest and assistance.

Jim Freeburn

KUDOS to you Jim. I hope you get a couple that really have a desire, but cannot afford it or have the parent/brother/uncle to take them. Best of luck to you and your gracious offer!!!

LAST EDITED ON Apr-16-13 AT 05:29PM (MST)[p]Here is a bit more you can add to your hunt. If you would like, I would be willing to mount the animals (2) harvested by these young hunters as my contribution to your efforts.( Antelope or deer) My shop is located in Ryan Park, Wyoming. (So. East of Saratoga) Please feel free to contact me at any time if interested.

Ron Brown / Barrett Creek Taxidermy
[email protected]

LAST EDITED ON Apr-16-13 AT 05:57PM (MST)[p]Great job giving back folks! Some young hunter will be very blessed! My son is 8 and we are in North Carolina, but I am happy for the youngster that can take this offer.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-16-13 AT 06:56PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Apr-16-13 AT 06:54?PM (MST)

JIM,
Great Idea. Let me know if you need any help. I take several every year waterfowl hunting. I might have the perfect kid for you. He will be a freshman and comes from a non hunting family. He lives with his Grandpa who is not into hunting The only big game animal he has ever hunted is a whitetail doe.
Tory

Tory,

Have him give me a call. Maybe we can get one lined out quickly. Sounds like the kind of young man that would be a good candidate. Could take him over here at home or at our place at Elk Mountain.

Thanks for the thought.

You guys must sleep good at night knowing your helping others out. Nice job and thanks guys. Need more people like you.

Other note, have you advertised this in newspapers, local facebook classified page and craigslist?

I sent an email to all of the game wardens and biologists. Those guys teach hunter safety around here and are pretty well connected to the youth that might need this opportunity. I'm also going to contact 4-H leaders who run the shooting sports programs in several counties and try there. They might also be aware of some good, deserving youth.

I'm going to wait on Craigslist. I might get some people there, but I'll wait. I will also try the facebook route. I don't do that, but can have my daughters get it started. Good idea and a great way to reach young people.

Thanks to everyone for the kind comments.

This is awesome, major kudos to all involved. As others have stated, getting the word out to find someone who would really benefit from your generosity is not easy. I wonder if you could contact some sort of Boys and Girls Club to find a candidate.

Best of luck with this and thanks for doing it.

I know I'm an old guy but bear with a minute here...
As a youngster it was common to get home from school, grab a gun and just go hunting. Maybe to the dump to shoot rats or down to the lake and plink some bullfrogs. The days of seeing a kid riding his bike down the road with a shotgun or .22 across the handlebars are long gone. No place to hunt anyway.
We all can help carry this forward in some way and should at least make an attempt, soon it will be too late.
Give a little of your time to the future, we'll all thank you for it.

Semper Fi

Canvsbk, I'm not THAT old and I remember doing just that! A .22, my shotgun or a fishing pole. It was sure a big day when I bought my first pick-up, then I could keep them all with me all the time. Even if I went by myself. Some of the best times out in the field or on a stream proved to be some of my most vivid memories growing up.

Icmdeer,
Let me know if I can help with donating something to the kids. I love this type of stuff.

Thanks
Gene
559-352-6173

Thanks again to all of you MM folks. I'll call Gene as soon as I get done here. When I got home after work, I had a message to call a young man. He was referred to me by WYOBOWHUNT, thanks. I won't give details about hometown or last name but his first name is Bowen and he lives with his grandparents. I had a nice visit with him and was sure proud he had the courage to call a stranger like me. He said his grandpa is not in good enough shape to tke him hunting, and he really wants to go. He's 13, and soon to be 14. I'm going to take him after an elk this fall.

First thing, we're going to meet in a week and a half and get his license application submitted. I'll buy. His grandpa has a 270, but they only have 10 rounds of ammo. So I'm going to load him up some good handloads, bring him out to the range at my house and get him comfortable with his rifle. Or he can use one of mine.

We'll hope to do some other stuff through the summer. Maybe shoot some prairie dogs or do a little scouting. Just have some fun and get acquianted.

I might try to take a few pics and post the story here, but may need some help. I have not taken the time to learn how to post pics on MM. But I can learn and know I'll get some help.

This whole deal is positive. Don't quit because I'm going to try to find another deserving young person.

Thanks again.

I have a new :
Winchester model 70 in .264 win camo
Or
Weatherby vanguard 2 in .270 win syn.

I will give the Bowen the rifle of his choice and a sling. They do need a scope and hopefully someone can help us with that.

Icmdeer will you pass on this message on to this lucky boy Bowen and make sure he sends some trophy pics with his new rifle.

Thanks
Gene

I will gladly donate a scope to the cause. Leupold 4-12 x40 just back from Leupold haveing the parralax reset to 125 yards, scope is as new.
I also can send a set of BurrisnSignature Zee rings.

Semper Fi

Holy cow! This thing is snowballing. A HUGE thanks to everyone. I'll mount the scope and work up a load for Bowen. The 270 might be better for him.

I'll be gone most of the day, but will check back tonight.

Also should mention that CANVSBK deserves credit for getting this deal going. He gave my son-in-law some relaoding stuff and I thought it would be right to take a young person hunting to "pay it forward" so others can benefit. My son in law is also going to help with the hunt.

If anyone needs my contact info, it is on our website at:

www.triplecreekhunts.com

I also know that some of us Wyoming guys have drawn limited quota elk licenses in decent areas the past few years. If anyone has info/suggestions on SE Wyo hunt areas I am open to your PM thoughts. I was planning on 7, with 5 as a backup. But I am also thinking of 16 as a good first choice. Please PM me with any info I can use to try and find good place to take Bowen for his first elk. I won't betray your confidence.

Also remember that I'm still looking for one more deserving young person. Might be best if they are from the country from Laramie to Saratoga so I can take them over in that area.

Thanks again to EVERYONE for your help.

Jim

I have previously had phone conversations with both Jim and his son in law, both are really decent guys and I wish them the best in this venture.

Semper Fi

Wow is all I can say. Bowen was blown away when I told him about the chance to get to go hunting with a great hunter and an even better guy (JIM). When I asked him if this was something he would be interested in he said yes. Bowen is a wonderful young man who will benifit greatly from this experience. All I can do is to say Thank You from the bottom of my heart for all the wonderful offers.
Jim again if you need any help with this let me know.

Just wondering how things are going with the hunts, hunters and details. Can't wait to see an ear to ear smile or two.

No hunting yet. Antelope this weekend. Hope to go after an elk later. We've been out chasing prairie dogs and targets so far. I've got a good handload worked up for him and we're set to start slaying critters.

I'll keep everyone posted.

The antelope hunt is finished. My young friend Bowen got a nice mid-sized buck yesterday. We had a couple of other shots, but they were not from the prone position. Once Bowen got prone, he smoked a nice buck. The buck was right at 200 yards and he made a clean shot. The buck was quartering toward us looking to the left. The bullet entered his chest just inside the left shoulder and exited a few inches behind the right shoulder. Perfect shot!! Took off the top of the heart, and messed up both lungs.

We spotted the antelope herd from about 1.5 miles away. Drove to about 1/2 mile and got behind a hill. Walked a little ways, then crawled over 100 yards to get into position. Took a shot off my tripod at 179 yards at a big buck laying down in his bed. When we missed, all of the antelope got up and ran into a big bunch, but did not run off. We crawled forward and got a good prone shot, and that was it.

Congrats to my new hunting friend and thanks to rutnbull for the donation of the Weatherby rifle and to canvsbk for donating the 4-14 Leupold scope. Also thanks to my anonymous landowner friend for donating the great opportunity.

We also went over field care of the buck and then went home and learned how to skin the buck. On Tuesday, wyobowhunt is going to take Bowen over to his house for a meat cutting party. And Bowen said he plans to learn how to make jerky and will also do some of that. He's getting the whole experience and having a blast.

Thanks again to everyone and I'll hope to have some elk pics to share in a few weeks.

I am headed out to guide for a few days, but if someone will send me an email address I'll send a couple of field pictures to post. I should have taken some pics of my friend showing off his newfound skinning skills, too. I'll try to do that for an elk if we are successful.

Thanks again to everyone for your support and for showing this young man what a great community of hunters are on MM.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom