Ft. Carson

There are a fair number of elk, and so-so numbers of antelope. The problem with Ft Carson nowadays is getting access to the better area's. When I was stationed on Carson there were right at 12,000 soldiers, but now it has ballooned up to 36,000 and with training being ramped up for the war, the Post has more or less shut down to recreational activities.

I dont even bother with it anymore, and never realy did back in the 90's because there is better and easier hunting to be had off post.

Now if he could get a deer tag, then it might be worth the pain of trying to hunt it

+1, it is near impossible to do any sort of planning ahead of time to hunt on Ft. Carson.
With the additional number of personnel, all of the training times/locations are used the vast majority of the time.
The base is sub-divided up into multiple micro-units. You don't know which ones are available until you show up that morning to hunt, IF there any available at all...

Don't let the guy (runs the hunting class that is required) lead you to believing there are 350-400" bulls hiding all over the base either...and probably the new state record.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Of course the two fires in the Pinion Canyon training area are going to have effects as well. It'll either push animals out or bring 'em closer together.

I'm stationed here and it's my first year hunting the PCTA (Pinion Canyon Training Area), I'll be taking my son there hoping to get him his first elk (cow tag).

I'm interested in seeing how the hunt process goes in dealing with range control and all.

Good luck to ya

Al

Here's a herd I've watched a few times at the base.

8647ft_carson.jpg

4268ft_carson2.jpg

NICE!!!! That certainly gets me excited. His tag is actually an either sex from OCT thru JAN. I'm in Afghanistan for the moment and get home just in time to get him out in the field.
Thanks for sharing the pic!!

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom