G&F proposing big season and license cuts for deer in Region A

jm77

Long Time Member
Residents on here are saying decreases in Region NR tags and shorter seasons for deer areas in decline is the way G&F will handle it. They are right. Here you go.

334293860_170180572432386_1186690705953404569_n.jpg

Residents on here are saying decreases in Region NR tags and shorter seasons for deer areas in decline is the way G&F will handle it. They are right. Here you go.

View attachment 104517
I am personally of the idea that any area where the populations are below objective there should be no doe fawn harvest at all.

I saw this earlier and I hope this becomes a common theme across the state….

Should of been doing this stuff a while ago. Little cuts here and there don't make big differences. I hunted up there 3 years ago and I couldn't even find a place to park and walk on a saturday morning all the pull offs were filled up from one end of the hills to the other and I passed more trucks then a normal drive to work

This is a good start. Is it possible to do anything to abate the source of the disease killing them off?

Any news on any other areas yet?
When I talked to a biologist for region W about 6 weeks ago I expressed that I would prefer shorter seasons, fewer NR quota and for point restrictions to remain in place. Before we started having significant winter kill he was stating that there was no way they would decrease the regulation and that he foresaw that they wild likely get more restrictive. Given the current conditions, known winter kill, I would suspect that in the region we see shorter seasons, and a reduction in NR tags and hopefully elimination of doe fawn tags across the board.

I appreciate their response and logic. Down here in SE Wyoming, we are WAY below objective and the response has been to try to extend seasons and kill all the mule deer bucks. So far, we have kept that from happening, but I'm not sure the battle is over.

In deer area 15, there are 750 doe licenses (300 mule deer and 450 whitetail). And the season goes from Oct 1 to Dec 31. There can be absolutely no biological justification for having those doe licenses and a three-month rifle doe season. I have complained for years to no avail. We are stuck in a very deep rut. Glad to see NE Wyoming is willing to take action.

My folks lived and ran a business in Sundance for nearly 30 years, we’ve hunted that area since 1993 and it’s done nothing but gone down hill every year. It’s a shame it’s taken this long, but their plan isn’t enough. The mule deer is in trouble….. in many places now days, it’s sad.

My take on shorter seasons is that some folks will take a younger buck when they have only so many days to hunt, a week or so with no weekend , the meat hunters I mean.
Mule deer need help for sure.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom