G3

B

BLU

Well...getting closer to the hunt once again. This year my father got the lucky draw after putting in for his lifetime....he is 75. My son was fortunate to draw J12 in 2004 and was able to get a 34 1/2 inch 6x6 at age 14! Then I drew G3 in 08 and got my 30 inch 4x4! Then my daughter drew G3 in 09 and we hunted the entire season but just couldn't find the 30s that was 4x4 or better and unbroken so she ended up with an absolutely beautiful 26 inch 4x4 which I have to admit looks better on the wall along with the memories then anything else. So now it is Dads turn.....finally. We will be coming over from the coast on Thursday before season to stay with family friends in Independance and will see what snow we will be dealing with...hopefully tons. Nickman.....hope to see you again as I am sure you will be around as always keeping the long eye on everything. We have the whole crew coming again.....more eyes the better. How's the weather so far? Any snow up in the high country yet? We will be in my dark tan rubicon jeep again so anyone else out there that is coming to the annual deer viewing, good luck and be sure to stop and chat. John

Dry and warm......no snow in the high-country......pray for some maybe this weekend.....otherwise it could be dismal showing of quality bucks.

BOHNTR )))---------->

Snow Thur night up high, but it was fairly light.

The temp on the Kern Plateau needs to drop and force the feed to go dormant, before any deer will move into the unit.

As of this AM, we had no more deer than we did in September.

There is no doubt that it will happen, but right this minute, it has has not started........which is a good thing if you are hunting. If they all showed up tomorrow, the rut would explode and be all but over by Dec 1st. Then, with no REAL snow to hold them, they would all just go back into the park until real Winter gets here.

"I could agree with you, but then we would both be
wrong......and stupid"

Thanks for the update Nickman. I was thinking of making a run over today thru Tuesday to see but knowing your keeping your backyard under ops, I will stay here and save the gas till Thanksgiving. Then we will head over to look and dream. Thanks. We are getting a pretty good rain here at the coast so it should be making its way over soon

So ....this morning I loaded up the Brit and decided to hit a quail and chukar spot that I had hoped had not been too shot up by "flatlanders".

I parked at the bottom of a creek bed and we took off up the trail......long story short, someone had driven a herd of sheep thru there just last night.

Not! SERIOUS deer tracks.

I turned around and loaded back up and drove to a high spot and sure enough, about 100 does and a few smaller bucks.

This was at about 9am, so tomorrow, I will hit it at first light and check the rest of the rut areas, but I suspect that a lot of deer have dropped off the plateau and are setting up for the rut. We'll see.

wrong......and stupid"

Sounds great....yes we will be there opening morning unless the rapture happens before the 1st. What are you drivin?

Ok.sounds like we are in for some fun. I will be in the tan jeep rubicon with the buck/elk stickers on the back window

I'll be in a mineral gray 2012 Dodge Ram 1500. With a hemi!!! See you guys there. However, I won't arrive until the second weekend. pc

My new rig hasn't come in yet so i'll have to bring the old one...

546my_old_rig.jpg

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

That thing is sweet! Sounds like some storms are headed in so your buggy should do well!

LAST EDITED ON Nov-26-12 AT 07:06PM (MST)[p]BLU, i wish it were mine, J/K, and i would like to see the migration one day but not this year.

On second thought, even if i could afford one, don't believe i'd have one unless it was powered by GMC. :)

Keep us posted with pic's though please, this could get to be a awful good thread.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Wish I could help, but I am in Arizona chasing elk.

I have reports of a 30+ and the 32" 5x7 I was hand feeding may be down......reports are slow however.

Does anyone know what a bull elk looks like? We are in t shirts in Flagstaff in Dec.....WTF?

wrong......and stupid"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom