G5 Montec Broadheads

desertbucks

Has anyone shot the G5 Montec 85 grain broadheads? I would like to get a idea how well these heads work? Good penetration? Accuracy? Good Blood trail?

I also shoot the 100 gr they fly just like my field tips. The bull I shot last year was a pass through shot and left a good blood trail. I would expect the 85gr would perform the same.

I used to shoot the 100's awesome. Watched a guy shoot one through steel barrel and stick in the dirt. Picked it up and was still sharp. Cam Hanes uses and 85 gr tips so i would say if they hit where your aimin go for it

LAST EDITED ON Jul-29-10 AT 12:45PM (MST)[p]Just remember as the speed picks up the lighter FOC fixed heads may have a tendency to plane a bit more than a heavier head and May/may not give you some tuning issues. I would think for what you guys shoot those 100's would be the bomb now if it's on the wifes bow the 85 will probably work fine. In any case you guys won't have any trouble figuring it out, and either will do the job. :^)

Not trying to be a downer hear, but my brother took a nice Lope last year with the G5 CS 100 grain and it ran about 50 yards and dropped dead, but there was NO BLOOD AT ALL. If it would have run over a ridge it would have been very tough to find. Here is a picutre. as you can see it was a great shot and a clean pass through. I'm not saying there bad because this guy died right away I just saying I wish there was a some sort of blood trail. I am going to use the head again. I just am slightly concerned. Other then that they fly great!
7639lope_arrow_hole.jpg

Great shot, I have read reviews on these heads and that seems to be the concern. The broadheads seem not leave a good blood trail, not sure why that is?

Those of you who are a fan of the Montec, or other one piece head, need to check out the VPA Terminator. It's actually a machined head. No poured, cast metal. It's much stronger. I have personally snapped ferrules off of two G5 heads and have friends who have done the same. Won't happen with a Terminator. I put one in a vice and tried to break it with a mini sledge. The ferrule would hardly even bend. Did the same with a Montec and it snapped on the second whack. They fly great too. Same POI as field tips for me. Sharp out of the package and easy to resharpen too.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom