Game Retrieval with ATV

LAST EDITED ON Mar-10-15 AT 05:42PM (MST)[p]Depends on the land ownership...BLM? FS? WSA's? State?

All different.

Also, most NF's and even Ranger Districts can have varying rules.

As a general rule in Wyoming, National Forests allow very limited game retrieval, as in, IIRC, 150 feet from an established road. Basically, no off road game retrieval.

I would check the local BLM office or FS office in the area you intend to hunt,

I have a ford Expedition and where I hunt I can drive it where ever legally can drive and= ATV.I do not own an ATV and after reading the rules it would not benefit me to own one.

Last year's antelope hunt showed me roads that I could legally drive a truck on but they were much more pleasant astride an ATV.

I also did lots of wandering, on foot, packed my critter back to the road in my backpack, and would never dream of leaving the road on an ATV to retrieve game... even where legal. It's just not in my DNA to make more tracks! Period!
I think we have plenty of roads!

Back in the day, I'd see tons of jeeps head off-road and every one of them claimed to be retrieving game! How many jeeps does it take to get 1 elk out? Yep, they were just using it as a loophole to drive by those of us who walked in. Those days are over because of abuse. The area is now close to all off-road travel and I'm happy for it.

A good knife and a sturdy backpack is much better for the environment than trip across the hoorahs in a truck!

OK, there's my rant.
Zeke

Also some Ranches that allow access to the national forest like the Pitchfork Ranch doesn't allow 4 wheelers on 14 miles of dirt road to get to the forest. They cant enforce it but would rather have people use trucks and they made pull offs to unload your atv.
basically they did this cause 4 wheelers would drive as fast as they can throwing up dust and acting like idiots.

I don't spend time on BLM land. The forest service has maps that show approved trails and dates they are open and closed. I don't know that most pay attention to them. I ride an ATV where I used to drive the truck. Saves a lot of wear and tear on a truck.

I don't hunt from an ATV or a pickup, as I don't enjoy it and it just doesn't seem quite right to me. I really enjoy hunting that has some physical challenge to it, and this usually means hunting quite a ways from roads (this is often where the best hunting is too). Anybody that has packed out a few elk, especially in warmer weather or with grizzlies, understands the challenges of harvesting an elk far from the closest road.

I do not hesitate to use the best legal means to retrieve an animal, especially when considering the issues mentioned in the above paragraph. I have used horses (hired packers) a few times in the past when I needed to get the meat out quickly, and I have also spent days packing out elk by myself on my back when the weather permitted.

The reason I was looking in to ATV retrieval as a possible option is because I will be hunting in heavy grizzly country this year, and I am looking for the fastest legal option to get my meat out. I know of some people that have retrieved their elk with ATVs in Wyoming, but that may have been on BLM land? Thus, the reason for my post.

Even if I called in a packer, they would not be able to get there until the next day, and that might be too late. Also, the trees in the area I will be hunting are quite small and thus hanging the meat outside the reach of a grizzly will likely be difficult. If ATVs were an option, which it turns our they are not, it might be possible to get to the downed elk or close to it due to the type of terrain we will be in. I was thinking this might be the best possible option. Anyway, I guess I will need to find another solution.

As mentioned above, I am not a big ATV guy, but I definitely won't hesitate to use them if it is legal and it is necessary to ensure my elk does not go to waste.

They take maintenance, but you might consider renting a horse to pack the meat out. A sturdy horse can pack a boned out elk in a trip. Of course, you would have to consider how your going to keep the horse from getting eaten while your off hunting...

Depending on the terrain, again bone out the meat and put it on a heavy duty sled and skid it out. Its not ideal, but can be done. I've heard good things about game carts.

I really like my plastic Cabela's game hauling sled
. I own two of them.Bought one new , the other at a garage sale.I have used and abused them and they still work great.

Meat hide free hanging in a tree on a cool north face slope should me ok for 24 hours. Make sure you have coolers at the truck.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom