Game warden won't return calls - what to do?

fallguy

In 2017, I drew a tag in an area that I hadn't hunted before. Three months before the season, I called CPW and was given the name and number of the local game warden to discuss hunting in his area. I called and got his voicemail so I left my name and number along with a short message as to what I wanted to talk about. I never received a call back - I can't remember if I left a 2nd message or not.

In 2018, I hunted in his area again and while doing so, observed what I felt was a law violation so I called him and left a message about it. I left my name and number and never heard back.

Moving to 2019, I called the same game warden 12 days ago to discuss hunting another species in his area. I am considering trying to get a re-issued tag for his GMU but I need some info from him before I attempt to do that. I figured the time between the end of archery and first rifle would be a good time for him to talk. I did not receive a return call so 4 four days after my first call, I left another message and now it's 8 days later and still no call.

At this point in time, I have left 4-5 messages over the course of 3 years without a single return call. I will add that I don't know this guy and he doesn't know me so there is no history of any kind here. Also, I am not a CPW basher and have always been supportive of the agency and their field personnel. I know they are busy but unless something has changed, public relations has always been an important part of their jobs.

So what should I do? My default reaction is to call his boss and explain what has happened the past 3 years regarding the lack of return calls. If I do that, I will no doubt get a call from the game warden but he's going to be in a bad mood about it and most likely not give me any good info plus I risk unfair retaliation if he happens to run into me while I am hunting.

The safest bet would be to just keep calling and leaving messages until hopefully he gives in and calls me back. That is the direction I am leaning even though it upsets me that I would have to do that and based on past history, I am doubtful I will hear from him. Plus the clock is ticking on getting a re-issued tag.

Suggestions?

LAST EDITED ON Oct-19-19 AT 06:39PM (MST)[p]I had the exact opposite response this year with 2 wardens calling me back within days.

You are in a tough spot, I would call again and leave a message.

It might be better to just post what unit here in this thread or PM some regulars about the unit.

Write a letter to his boss....I guarantee HE won't answer the phone.

497fc2397b939f19.jpg

I met three wardens in three days while hunting 1st season elk. Thought that was a little strange considering the unit I hunted only issued 50 elk tags for 1st season and you can draw the tag with zero PP.

Two of the wardens were very professional and provided info about the unit. The third seemed like a rookie and was very tense, by the book, no time to talk.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-19-19 AT 10:23PM (MST)[p]I have never had any problems getting in contact with any of the CPW Biologists in Colorado. I do live in Colorado and usually go to the local CPW office in either Montrose or Grand Junction and if the one I need to talk to is not in the office they will give me their cell number. I have a Gunnison tag this year and had a question that I wanted to talk to the biologist about. I stopped at the Gunnison CPW office and they told me that the Biologist has a satellite office in Lake City during the hunting seasons and gave me his satellite phone number and he picked up my call the first time I called him.

If I were you I would call the local CPW office in that area and tell them that you can't seem to get a hold of the officer that you want to talk to.

I would suggest that if you want info on deer or elk get a hold of the Biologist in that area not an enforcement officer

Hope this helps you out

>Might want to call CPW and
>confirm that is still a
>viable number?

It is a viable number. It is the one CPW gave me recently and his greeting says it's him and that he will get back to you.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-20-19 AT 01:22PM (MST)[p]>>Might want to call CPW and
>>confirm that is still a
>>viable number?
>
>It is a viable number. It
>is the one CPW gave
>me recently and his greeting
>says it's him and that
>he will get back to
>you.

I would suggest that if you want info on deer or elk get a hold of the Biologist in that area not an enforcement officer.

You say he is a Game Warden??
Try getting a hold of the Biologist in the gmu area you want info about ?

>LAST EDITED ON Oct-20-19
>AT 01:22?PM (MST)

>
>>>Might want to call CPW and
>>>confirm that is still a
>>>viable number?
>>
>>It is a viable number. It
>>is the one CPW gave
>>me recently and his greeting
>>says it's him and that
>>he will get back to
>>you.
>
>I would suggest that if you
>want info on deer or
>elk get a hold of
>the Biologist in that area
>not an enforcement officer.
>
>You say he is a Game
>Warden??
>Try getting a hold of the
>Biologist in the gmu area
>you want info about ?
>
I've had same problems at times in Colorado. Keep pounding on the door or go to a Regional Office or ask the Hunt planners. group. They have been very helpful too. I live in Colorado too.

Best service I get is in Wyoming. They always return my calls & very courteous & professional & informative too ! I like that very much !

Keep trying & take different routes until you find success & get your help & answers !
Best of Luck & keep pounding on the door ?!
Jerry Gold
Fort Collins, Colorado

Yes they are but if you want info on deer and elk migration or other info on the herds I would be talking to the person that would have that info and not someone that is in the law enforcement side of CPW. I have always received better info from the biologist that is familiar with the GMU.

Just trying to to help since I do live in Colorado and have received very good info from CPW biologists both this year and in past years This year it was on a GMU I have never hunted before or even been in before. It is the biologist's job to know the facts of his game unit or unit's.

Just my 2 cents so I guess you can take it or leave it?

>Aren?t the wardens in Colorado also
>half way considered the biologists
>as well?

No.

#livelikezac

I have seen it both ways, sometimes better intel from the game wardens and sometimes better from the biologist. It depends what kind of info you are looking for, I would suggest contacting both for sure.

The CO game wardens that I know get involved with the biological side of things as well as law enforcement. There are also biologists but they cover much larger areas and their jobs require a lot of office time which detracts from time in the field. Game wardens spend a ton of time in the field, especially during hunting seasons, which is why I've always called them first.

At this point in time, it looks like a call to the regional office to ask for the biologist is the best way to go.

Thanks for all the input.

>Go into the regional office.
BluffGruff

Yes I agree if he lives in the area that he wants info about?
Like I have said CPW has Always Been Great to me

Just call him and tell him I have some information for you he will call you right back Just kidding.

I'm with everyone else just get ahold of the biologist or go into the division and ask to speak with someone.

The regional office is a 4 hour round trip for me. Plus who is going to be of help there? The office is a long way from the GMU. I did talk to the biologist based there who was very nice but she couldn't help because she was new to that area. She suggested I call the game warden. I told her I have tried that multiple times and he doesn't return calls. She then suggested I call the other game warden that covers part of that GMU. I did that and left a message.I think I've talked to the other game warden before and expect I'll hear from him. The biologist said if I strike out, to call her back and she'll ask around to see if anyone else can help. I thought that was very professional.

I've spent some time doing internet scouting / research and have a few areas in mind but would like to know about access and season specific hunting pressure before I drive there and put boots on the ground.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom