Gas Drilling above Strawberry/6th water @ utah/BLM

jdubya

Anybody here know much about this? Anybody care? Is this going to be disruptive and degrade that watershed, or be a good thing?

Boggles my mind that only one person has chimed in or even cares about the potential devestation to your their possible hunting areas. What about drilling in the Book Cliffs? Or how about drilling the pi$$ out of the Red Desert/Great Devide area in WY 8900 wells and 2700 miles of roads? SO much for hunting there if it passes.

I'm all for resouce extraction, but to go at it with very little science to back up the environmental impacts is unbelievable!

How about the gas drilling proposed around Pindale, the on going pillage of the Powder River basin... etc, etc.

Just do a little reserch on the destruction that is being caused in the PRB. Makes me want to start applying for deer tags there.

This is the first I've heard of anything around Strawberry.

I'm not too happy with what the Bush admin. has done with managing our public lands. I've spent some time talking with hunters that live in northern New Mexico, where there's new pads everywhere and more on the way. What's happening to Wyomings winter range is outrageous along with the plans for Utah's Book Cliffs, etc.............. Not to mention the new roads on forest, the roads they choose to close or not close. It's a freaking joke.

You'd think with all of SFWs politacal clout that some of these things would be addressed. Maybe they are. Anyone want to let us in on what is taking place between SFW and the Bush admin when it comes to our domestic energy agenda and destroying the beloved buzz word "HABITAT."

National Forests were never created to preserve wildlife "habitat" but to reserve large sections of our country from development / private ownership so the mighty USA had renewable sources of lumber. It was sound thinking that had the side effect, of also preserving wildlife. National Parks were created directly for the preservation of wildlife. Later some pristine National Forest areas were turned into wilderness areas.

Its sad when some of our beautiful forests are turned into wood but thats what they were created for in the first place. I'm a hunter and have concerns for development of areas just like everyone else, but most people dont have a clue the "how" and "why" of things. Just because this is happening while bush is in office doesnt mean hes the one authorizing this crap.

-DallanC

BLM?s draft Vernal RMP was released on Jan. 14 th and is available for public comment at http://www.vernalrmp.com .This plan combines the Book Cliffs and Diamond Mountain RMP into one Resource Management Plan that will govern the management of 1.8 million acres including the Book Cliffs, Pariette Wetlands, and the White and Green Rivers. Beyond accepting comments on the plans, they are hosting several public meetings in NE Utah .

The closest one to me is in Salt Lake City on Feb 24 at the public libary, but there are others in Vernal and Duchesne (look at that web page above). If we could get a group of hunters and anglers at least one of those meetings to go on record for responsible development and the protection of our fish and wildlife, it would definitely be a great opportunity to not only make our voices heard by the BLM, but also by local media as well.

This also pertains to the Strawberry Leases (south of the lake), Tie Fork/Diamond Fork Leases, and Uinta NF Low Potential Gas and Oil.

If you are interested in preserving quality habitat for fish and wildlife (wait, isn't that the name of this place???) then you should go see what the BLM has in plan for these lands.

pay attention to the news on fridays . .thats when most of the attacks on the natural resources will occur which gives people the weekend to get irate then forget about it by monday.

I read an article about this being done during his first administration. But for the most part hunters will sit idlely by and allow this to happen, then we can fight over the scraps of land that weren't exploited.

Check out the Forest Conservation Act of 1976. Here it is in a nut shell.

"The National Forest Management Act reorganized, expanded and otherwise amended the Forest and Rangeland Renewable Resources Planning Act of 1974, which called for the management of renewable resources on national forest lands. The National Forest Management Act requires the Secretary of Agriculture to assess forest lands, develop a management program based on multiple-use, sustained-yield principles, and implement a resource management plan for each unit of the National Forest System. It is the primary statute governing the administration of national forests"

BUT.........

" The Act requires the Secretary to promulgate an extensive list of regulations regarding the development and revision of management plans. Several of these required regulations address wildlife resources and environmental protection. For example, the Secretary must specify procedures to ensure management plans are in accordance with the National Environmental Policy Act of 1969. Also, the Secretary must specify guidelines for developing management plans that: ensure consideration of both economic and environmental factors; provide for wildlife and fish; provide for the diversity of plant and animal communities; ensure timber harvesting will occur only where water quality and fish habitat are adequately protected from serious detriment; ensure clearcutting and other harvesting will occur only where it may be done in a manner consistent with the protection of soil, watersheds, fish, wildlife, recreation, aesthetic resources and regeneration of the timber resource"

I've said it once and I'll say it again, I'm for resource use and extraction, but in a manner that won't fugg hunting to drastically for everyone for generations to come...

The forest are not managed soely for timber harvest, if that was the case the whole forests would have been logged!

If you want to try to make a diffrence write a letter showing your displeasure. All it takes is a simple, "I want my letter to go on record that I'm against the developement of .... thank you"

Not that it will make a diffrence with the Bush administrations plans for the destruction or our public lands. But you never know...

Yeh, I read the FS mission statement and what do you know, nothing about National Forests for the sole purpose of timber harvest. geez...

OK, I will stop at that. I did have a nasty response, but I counted to ten and decided to let it go. Although....never mind ;-)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom