Getting started by picking the right GMU

Freeborn

Hi Group,

I'm working on picking a GMU in Colorado that I can learn and begin hunting primarily deer and Elk in some type of yearly rotation. I'm starting this late in life as I am in my early 50s so I want to enjoy it as much as I can before my options start to decrease.

I plan on using a combination of hunting different species, using different weapons and using OTC tags to manage my preference points and maximize my opportunity to hunt. I have been going through the DOW reports and have come up with several GMUs that look attractive based on success rates, number of hunters and PP required to draw.

The tuff-part for me an out of state persons is how to pick the right GMU so I can get started in the right direction. This leads to my questions that I would appreciate your advice.

How does private land affect hunting? What are the positives and negatives of hunting a GMU with allot of private land? Would you avoid picking a GMU with allot of private land or is there enough positives that out-way the negatives?

How do I determine accessibility of a GMU without having been there? I would like to find a unit with a combination of terrain that provides both very difficult and not so difficult access. I figure the older I get the more I will transition to easier terrain.

Is hunting pressure mostly a negative or am I missing an opportunity by avoiding the hordes of hunters.

Great forum group and I appreciate your input.

Thanks Much.

FB

LAST EDITED ON Jan-20-13 AT 08:45AM (MST)[p]The answer to all your questions is sort of/maybe. Each unit tends to b different than the next. Almost all units have hard hunting areas in them and lighter terrain, only exception to this tends to be the higher alpine units. You are starting right by picking an unit and learning to hunt it for years as much as possible.

It is important to consider what you want in a unit? For example some units will have thick heavy timber where hunting is based on sitting in feeding area trails etc. Other areas become open larger with sage/pinyon juniper and everything in between.

I would not put anything into the stats for any unit other than the Preference points required to draw. Beyond that the number of hunters success rates, etc. are not accurate at all. Simply put I know people who get called every year for the survey(myself) and they have way above average success and others who never get called.

That being said, I would look for units with good public access over units with limited public access. In my years I have have hunted both. Units with limited access can have good success but, the limited land concentrates hunters in certain areas. One unit I have hunted in the past has 3 real areas a person can access. As a result every morning was a foot race into these areas by those there...

As far as determining amount of public land in a unit, look at the DOW gmu interactive maps. It is helpful.

If you end up with any specific questions on the NW section of the state please let me know. If your an archery hunter then CO can be really great. As an archery hunter I hunt some really low quality land every year, but find elk. Best part is very few other hunters....

Thanks Elks96,

I appreciate the advice.

I laughed and am relieved by your comment about the DOW statistics. I have looked over that data so hard I came close to having an aneurism. You can only look at that data so much before you have to put it down.

I love to bow hunt but I have to be realistic that I am an out of state hunter and therefore my time is limited in the field. I thought I would rotate a bow hunt every so many years as a way to gain preference points. I also don't mind buying a landowner tag every few years so I increase my opportunity. Right now I have been leaning towards units that require 1-3 PP for deer and are part of the OTC tag allotment.

Good advice that I need to look at what I want in a unit. I was anticipating doing more spot and stalk hunting particularly for deer. If I look at the DOW website ?hunting Atlas? I can see BLM and Forest Service land. Can I assume the BLM land is more open and as you described with sage/pinyon juniper and everything in between?

Thanks for the offer on the NW area, I appreciate it. Based on what I currently know I am currently looking more at units 52, 62 and 63. I wrote those units but again I could change those units several times between now and when we I apply.

Thanks again for the help.

FB

63 has lots of private and some of the elk move into the national park. 52 is on a Mesa, not classic high country. 62 is on a plateau, different country for sure. Don't just don't look at success rates, look at the country type. Colorado is very diverse and you might end up in a unit that you hate the topography.

My experience is that the guys find a unit that they like to hunt and do what you are suggesting do very well. Good luck
Rich

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom