GILA ELK ANTLER GROWTH

I got the second archery in 16b and some buddies got the 2nd in 16a maybe we will see you out there good luck.

I was down in the 16s over the weekend. It's been getting quite a bit of rain. Lot's of standing water, and tanks that were bone dry two weeks ago are starting to fill, with some even spilling over. I didn't see any bulls this trip, but the ones I saw two weeks ago seem to be doing just fine.

Yeah I heard from a reliable source that the bulls were doing pretty good antler wise. I was just hoping someone would post some pic's......

I would but my camera is effed up,coming out fuzzy. I have seen real decent early growth on the bulls.It just started greening up and alot of tanks filled too. July and Aug is when they grow. Went down to Resreve today and it is greening up around there. Came back thru a torrent. Got hammered around here yesterday and it's gearing up for even more now.

Gotta disagree with that, most of the growth elk are going to get is done now, they will put a little more on their back end over the next few weeks though. If we are talking deer then it's a different .

The burn was pretty green in spots throughout much of the spring and early summer and as happened in AZ with the last several big fires, the elk may surprise with their antler growth on the burn, even with this horrible drought.

I will be back up there this weekend and have another look around....

Don

Yeah , I don't live IN the Gila,just a little north of it. And I guess the club heads that I've been seeing won't grow as big as the sausage velvet 5x5's and 6x6's &+'s...I just live with them year round here.What do I know.

I agree most of the growth is over with if not I have some pictures of some bulls late June early July that will be 400's but from what I've learned over the years is most growth is over. But last year was a dry year and the bulls were fine so I wouldn't be to worried about it they all taste good

Still no picks of bulls in velvet from the Gila! I hope there are some good ones. Good luck to all the people that drew tags...

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom