Gila Hunts?

Sierra

Very Active Member
Haven't heard many reports from the Gila this year. How have the hunts gone? I assume with all the rain, the antler growth must be good.

I have two buddies who are hunting it now, but i have yet to get a report from them.

It rained everyday. Roads were horrible. Everything hunkered down. Didnt see any legal bulls. Ran into a lot of spikers and cows. That being said, the country was beautiful cant wait for
next year.

I was in B. It was very slow, with little bugling and very few elk seen. Maybe it was an off year. I have no idea really, it was my first time hunting this unit. During my hunt, first archery, I talked to a few guys that were hunting in A and C. They said the bulls were bugling quite well. Hopefully, I will be back again some year. Good luck to your buddies!

Had some good action on the second archery hunt in B. Saw several good bulls and ended up putting 2 arrows into the biggest 5x5 I've ever seen (either broke off the 5th's or does not grow them), and failed to recover him. Still makes me sick thinking about it.

First shot was a pass thru; broadside behind the shoulder @ 30 yards...seemed textbook. Second was quartering away, thru the opposite side, at 40. Both solid hits, but he just walked away with the second arrow hanging out the exit side. Gave him 30 minutes and lost the blood trail in the bottom of the draw he went into.

Searched for the next 2 days and never found him.

Just arrived from unit 15, 2nd smoke pole lots of cows 2 satellite Bulls no big Bulls very quiet no bugles, I also hits a small 5-5 at 225 yards, some blood tracked him for about 12 hours no find.
It was very quiet from what other hunters are saying.
Monsters Bulls pulled out of 16A

>Had some good action on the
>second archery hunt in B.
> Saw several good bulls
>and ended up putting 2
>arrows into the biggest 5x5
>I've ever seen (either broke
>off the 5th's or does
>not grow them), and failed
>to recover him. Still
>makes me sick thinking about
>it.
>
>First shot was a pass thru;
>broadside behind the shoulder
>@ 30 yards...seemed textbook.
>Second was quartering away, thru
>the opposite side, at 40.
> Both solid hits, but
>he just walked away with
>the second arrow hanging out
>the exit side. Gave
>him 30 minutes and lost
>the blood trail in the
>bottom of the draw he
>went into.
>
>Searched for the next 2 days
>and never found him.

Man that sucks!!! What broadhead did you use?

I was in A for the second rifle hunt. Some bugling but not a lot. Full moon kept elk bedded early morning and evening with most activity was around 10 a.m. That being said, had a wonderful trip and filled 2 out of 3 tags.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-01-15 AT 08:24AM (MST)[p]http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos3/672801030900021.jpg

It rained every day for a week on the first archery hunt , once the skies opened up and the bulls were more aggressive I was able to stick this guy at 18 yards. Everything was great just like previous years in there .

In the last eight years of hunting unit 15,i use to see a couple hundred elk a day a couple days before the first muzzy.I went up on the same hill this year and saw about 50 elk.The wolves are destroying the gila,i heard they are only getting about 15% calf survival rate,while the wolves are having two litters of pups a year!!!Easy math,i dont know what can be done,but i khow i won't be hunting unit 15 anymore and its only going to get worse.They are purposely underestamating the number of wolves in the gila,just talk to any rancher in that unit and they'll tell you how they are wipping out there calves.Hunters need to get of hold of the F&G and raise hell before it turns into a wasteland!!!

Had the first archery hunt this year, along with 3 others in my group. Stuck 2 big bulls in 9 days of hard hunting. Bugling was sporadic, but by the end of our hunt and into the second hunt, the rut should have been in full swing. Didn't see as many elk this year compared to years past, but definitely saw bigger bulls! My BIL had the second hunt and also harvested a nice bull. Here is mine from the first hunt.....antler growth is definitely good this year!!

Got a hunt coming up for deer in unit 16, just wondering if any of you who hunted elk earlier saw any deer. The my tag covers all of 16, I was planning on 16c and 16e but any suggestions would be much appreciated.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom