Gila Looking Rough!

Mike0426

Was out in various parts of the Gila over the weekend, primarily west part of 17, north part 21a, and Eastern part of 16c, and man is it looking rough. Tons of dry tanks, vegetation looks beat down bad by being over grazed, fires all around the area, especially with the start of a new one in 16c (Dalton Fire). Planes were flying each day I was there, dropping whatever it is they do on these fires. Temperature in truck read 101 at times in 16c, lack of moisture is obvious as Ive seen these areas greener in November then they are now. I have hunted these areas for the last 17 years and this is probably the worst condition I've seen it in. Hopefully these temps come down quick, or the early sept. boys are in for a hot one, with a bunch of quiet elk.

Yeah, what a miserable hot summer it has been. Country isn't in as bad condition as it was prior to last year's monsoons but it's not what we would like to see for this time of year. Pray the monsoons kick in with more than dry lightning!!

I was just looking at it on onX today and noticed 4 or 5 active fires with little containment.

Those poor guys fighting them could use a hand from the good Lord with some moisture.

My son has the early 16B rifle tag. I sure hope we get some moisture before then. Hopefully the bulls were able to finish out good before everything dried up.

What are you locals seeing for antler development? Average year? Above average? Below average?

My son has the early 16B rifle tag. I sure hope we get some moisture before then. Hopefully the bulls were able to finish out good before everything dried up.

What are you locals seeing for antler development? Average year? Above average? Below average?
Average

Hey now. We might have a five mile radius we can hunt! 125 hunters in the square miles. Hahaha
Might not be too bad because of those 125 hunters, 75 will be road hunting between Uncle Bill's in Reserve and Lower SF Plaza, 18 will want to be dropped off at Uncle Bill's, 16 won't leave camp/hotel, 11 won't show up or leave after one day and 5 will actually hunt. That's 1 square mile per hunter.

Looks like it’s getting done much needed rain today! All it took was Geno heading out there!
Catron County has been green and yellow on the radar the last two days. Most of the county looks to be getting rain as I write this (9pm). The forecast for the next week is looking good, hopefully it keeps raining until the hunts start.
What a contrast with precipitation versus last year! Good luck on your hunt.

Might not be too bad because of those 125 hunters, 75 will be road hunting between Uncle Bill's in Reserve and Lower SF Plaza, 18 will want to be dropped off at Uncle Bill's, 16 won't leave camp/hotel, 11 won't show up or leave after one day and 5 will actually hunt. That's 1 square mile per hunter.
True. Can promise I’ll be one of the 5. :)

new member here! I have a first archery hunt in 15 this year, went up three weeks ago to set cameras and check stuff out. Very dry, old water holes that used to hold water in the previous years dry as a bone, still saw lots of cows and some rags and spikes but still scary dry and a fire actually started while I was up there. Looks like it has been getting good rain this week which is a blessing but still nervous with how dry it was up there. Going bear hunting next week then going up to check cameras and reset them if I have to on the 26th. Hoping things green up and some wallows start to hold water. Best of luck to all this year.

new member here! I have a first archery hunt in 15 this year, went up three weeks ago to set cameras and check stuff out. Very dry, old water holes that used to hold water in the previous years dry as a bone, still saw lots of cows and some rags and spikes but still scary dry and a fire actually started while I was up there. Looks like it has been getting good rain this week which is a blessing but still nervous with how dry it was up there. Going bear hunting next week then going up to check cameras and reset them if I have to on the 26th. Hoping things green up and some wallows start to hold water. Best of luck to all this year.
Good luck on your hunts!

I’m telling you man!
“ I BRING FIRE AND BRING RAIN”
??
Flat poured on us all three days and tank are holding water but the ground is THIRSTY!
Saw plenty of elk and gotta game plan ???? Eastern half looks a pile of straw! Dry as hell
Hahaha you know it. My hunting partner who drew the tag with me will be out there next weekend, and I will be the following. Have some areas I want to check out, nowhere near anywhere I’ve been in the unit before.

I’ll be out there next week into Saturday if he wants to stop by?
I’ll relay that info to him. We are gonna meet up tomorrow to shoot and go over some things. I’ll text you and let you know when he’s heading up and if it’s going to overlap with that time. I appreciate you.

I was in 5b last weekend camping. It was dry and HOT. Everything was brown. All the dirt tanks were dry. Pretty rough. Never seen it like that before.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom