Gila

JJhunt

Headed out to 16b on Wednesday. I was wondering if anyone had any info on the weather in the area. Forecast shows heavy rain for the next couple of days. We will be dragging a horse trailer so any info on road conditions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Post up reports of your hunt/experience. I am headed down to 16b for my first time ever for first rifle season!!! Love reading post/pics. Thanks

Goforbroke, PM SENT!

The area is getting some weather but not getting pounded with rain, I also have the first rifle hunt. I have a few friends in there right now and said the rain hasn't been bad but looks like that might change the next couple days. which way are you looking at going into the unit?

Snow lake road I heard was a little sloppy but not horrible.

The forecast shows allot of rain expected in that area for the next few days. I would be careful crossing over Snow Creak until I was sure that the road wont get washed out. Last year I was there just after the big rains and the road was impassable for 10 days after the rains had stopped. If the rains do come in and make a mess be careful with the boggy areas, we buried a couple of horses up to their stomachs on and around Loco Mountain.If the roads do get washed out again I would use the Willow Creak entrance and pack in. Good luck, plan ahead, and stay safe!

Does anybody have anymore updates from the recent rain that has dropped? Thanks

3 inches of rain in two and a half days and a lot more coming tonight. Trails are a mess (depending on where you plan on going in) not to mention a lot of idiots walking thirteen miles in honking on calls and planting camps in the middle of 150 rutting elk! Some people have no sense what so ever. The 2nd hunt was killer aside from those idiots.

Just got back tonight. Glad to hear you guys had better luck than we did. We just could not get the bulls to talk. They would bugle once then stay silent and would not come in. In fact they would go away from the cow calls. We thought maybe the elk had gone queer. Out of 8 days we had one good morning of bugling. We hunted every where from snow lake to black canyon and just could not make it happen. Everyone we talked to was in the same boat. We did have a few missed opportunities. My dad had a broadside 50 yard shot at a nice 6x6 but had a branch in the way so he couldn't shoot. I missed another nice 6x thought he was 60 yards and shot under him. It was still fun just very frustrating. Congrats

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom