GL2 or XL2?

sigfour

I am guessing by the prices that i have found the XL2 is better or newer. I have heard great thinkgs about the GL2, what about the XL2. any thoughts? -sig

the xl cameras are larger and actually shoulder cameras which has some benefits. you can pull it up and video very quick and have it pretty steady. the GL is smaller and really needs to be on a tripod for good video which takes a little longer. the GL is smaller, therefore lighter and easier to tote around.

They both take good video the GL2 and XL2 both come with 20x lens.

you can buy a doubler for the GL2 for around 400 for decent quality but when you zoom back you have the dreded ring of black.

the XL2 you can buy an extender that goes between the lens and the camera body and you dont get the ring. you can get these for a couple hundred.

The gl2 you have the flip open screen and the small eyepiece. the xl2 has an eyepiece for when you are shoulder shooting and it flips up with a small screen if you want to stand back when its on a tripod.

hope that helps.

Travis
www.RidgelineOutdoors.com
Blacks-Creek Packs Dealer

Obviously another advantage of the xl2 is you can use canon photo lenses of your choice. The lenses themselves likely cost a lot more than the camcorder body?

I have a GL2 and love it! It is a lot more compact and lighter weight than the xl2. In fact, I can't imagine putting a xl2 in a backpack with all my other gear..it would be pretty hefty and take up a lot of room in a daypack! I just looked it up and the Xl2 weighs almost 8 lbs.

If all you are doing is video the xl2 may be ok but if you are hunting, scouting, and carrying a bunch of other gear I'd likely pick the GL2.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom