Glass Bedding

If it's done correctly it can't hunt a thing. Done poorly and you'd be better off to leave it alone (this goes for any rifle).

The properties of bedding creates a more solid platform on which the metal rests and keeps the action flex to a minimum but this is not as critical with a ML as it is in a CF rifle.

As a rule, not needed but I bedded my 700 Ultimate because I can.... but I didn't shoot it before bedding so I have no idea if it helped or not.

If you have weird contact it might be warranted for strength or waterproofing.

Zeke

I have a muzzleloader that the stock fits snug along the barrel channel and I was wondering if that could have something to do with the accuracy. It is a knight bighorn and the stock is short. Has one screw holding the stock on.

>I have a muzzleloader that the
>stock fits snug along the
>barrel channel and I was
>wondering if that could have
>something to do with the
>accuracy. It is a knight
>bighorn and the stock is
>short. Has one screw holding
>the stock on.

Having such limited knowledge about that muzzleloader and muzzleloaders in general, I have no idea what would make it shoot better or worse.

Mine is a Rem Ultimate and it's as straight forward as most CF rifles so I floated the barrel and bedded the action/recoil lug.

I've tested the rifle with and without the ramrod in place and find the accuracy and POI to be consistent enough at the ranges at which I shoot.

I'm sure muzzleloaders don't develop the same kind or amount of vibration that a CF rifle does but I can't quantify or qualify this statement as factual.

I'll fall back on my original statement that if bedding is done correctly it can't hurt anything but it might not help either.

Hopefully some guys with more knowledge of that rifle will chime in here.

Zeke

Thanks for the input Zeke. I will hopefully get some more information especially related to the rifle in question. I am still toying with the idea of a full length stock.

I had a little looseness on the barrel of my .458 Renegade. I decided to glass bed the front to get rid of the wiggle. It helped a lot with making things more consistent.

Stock%201_zps3w5bsmji.jpg

I used accura glass. And yes I saw a difference. Again it was more consistent. One trick I use that most guys don't. After putting the accura glass in the stock I lay plastic wrap in the channel for the barrel to lay on. I never get a stuck gun, never.

A muzzleloader is really no different than any other rifle when it comes to bedding. Unless the barreled action is held consistently, accuracy will suffer. I bed all of my guns usually before firing the first shot. Getting a good stress free bedding job done is mandatory. I prefer pillar bedding with metal on metal as it will not change with the weather. Glass bedding is better than no bedding but still is not optimal. I bedded my Knights, TC Omega, Savage, and my Remington's. I also have bedded my TC Encore and Handi Rifle ML guns.

I have a Knight Disc Elite and a Knight Bighorn. The Elite shoots very good but the Bighorn does not. Perhaps both could benefit? I am a little nervous about messing with the Elite. Could you send some photos of your knight and some information on how you bedded it? It would be very helpful. Thanks.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-22-16 AT 07:05PM (MST)[p]This is my Disc Elite .45 cal. It has received a handful of mods to date. I ditched the "recycled ice cube tray" plastic stock that came with the gun and purchased a laminated wood stock for it. I added Devcon steel bedding compound around the action and the lug.

kde45-1_zpssvrvuxh6.jpg

You can see the action in the pic where I added a piece of aluminum tubing from an old arrow shaft as a home for the ramrod. I also added a 10-32 stud in the bottom of the shaft to actually screw the ramrod in a few turns. It made a bit of noise and after doing this it is super secure. I also added a sleeve inside the barrel thimble. Anyhoo here is a closeup of the recoil lug/action screw/ramrod seat.

kde45-2_zpsfciw07mk.jpg

As a final mod I added a Harrel's muzzle brake.

kde45-3_zps8h9bm1dp.jpg

This thing will shoot naked (no sabots) 250 and 300 .45 cal SST bullets very well out to 300 yards.

Nicely done! Where did you find the stock? The arrow shaft was a very good idea. What size arrow?How does the muzzle brake work, easier on the shoulder or less barrel rise? I am impressed with the mods that you made. I would like to do the same to mine as I use it exclusively. I have found it difficult to find a replacement stock for the Bighorn or the Elite. Any further information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the photos.

Thanks for the kind words. I purchased the stock directly from Knight. I think I purchased it when they almost went under a while back. Boyd also makes some stock options for the Disc guns. Disc Extreme stocks will fit the Elite. I believe the arrow shaft is a 2413 (24/64 diameter and .013" wall thickness).

The brake works great in reducing both felt recoil and muzzle rise. I shoot some very stout charges of BH209 and it makes range time much more comfortable.

Did you have to change your breach plug to use Black Horn? If so, what type is it? I use 777 FFFG and I like it but clean up is a pain, not too bad if you spit patch between shots. Curious about the Black Horn. Looks like I need to save some money and get busy bedding.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-25-16 AT 07:15AM (MST)[p]Nope, the factory Knight breechplug (BP) will work with BH209. I have played with a vent liner on the BP though. It is basically a 10-32 flat head screw with a .025" hole bored through the center. It is a sacrificial part that will block blowback and if it erodes you can replace it with a very inexpensive screw instead of a new BP.

I did install the primer only MOD so I do not have to use the red plastic jackets though. You can also install shims into the BP to get a perfect crush fit with the primer of your choice. Since primers vary a bit from manufacturer to manufacturer this may need to be changed if you switch to another brand of 209. By doing this it creates a sealed breech which directs all of the fire into the bore and blocks blowback from the powder igniting. If your used primers come out with soot on the body, you can benefit from the shimming mod.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom