Glassing Tripods ?

SHB

Amongst the incredible assemblage of hard core hunters found here; is there a favorite tripod for glassing and packing. one that is stable in a decent wind, tall enough to sit under, yet goes low enough to lay behind. I figure if its out there you guys would know about it. Thanks

Bogen makes good tripods and you can spend as much as you want. Something sturdy in the wind will be unpackable unless you are willing and able.

The outdoorsman is the best tripod out there but they are very expensive. I use a bogen but I wish I had an outdoorsman.

It's all about Bogen for me. If you are tall pay close attention to how high it can extend to make sure it is tall enough for you to glass while standing. If you want sturdy you will have extra weight, but being able to pack it is dependant upon each individual. I have a few friends who have tried the carbon fiber legs and they ended up returning them because of the shake in higher winds that effect you glassing at higher magnifications.

My current setup is Bogen 3021N Legs and 3130 Fluid Head. I've used it for glassing and filming, and I haven't regreted making the decision to buy the setup.

Rackem

?Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!?
~George Carlin

If weight is not a factor I don't think you can beat a bogen. Otherwise the Outdoorsmans tripod, but remember there are trade-offs and with the lighter tripod it is not as stable in windy conditions when fully extended.

Having said that, I don't leave home without my Outdoorsmans original tripod.

I'll second the Outdoorsmans tripod. The Bogen boys probably have not handled the Outdoorsman!

I have both a Bogen and the Outdoorsmans. If I'm packing up the hill to set up my 15x56's and glass the Bogen is staying in the rig. The Outdoorsmans tripod is much lighter and very good for all types of glassing. I lugged that Bogen all over the hills of Sonora a couple of years ago and came home and bought the Outdoorsmans and have been very happy with it. MIKE

I've been using a bogen for 2 years and packing it all over the place. Very sturdy and tough tripod but I'm tired of packing such a heavy tripod and when I am sitting on the ground its hard to get the bogen low enough while using an angled spotting scope. I just recieved my outdoorsmans tripod in the mail (the small one) and I'm wondering why I took so long to buy one. 100% quality and getting the spotter low enough is definitely not a problem. If your driving around and jumping out of the truck to glass something then I would go with bogen. If your packing it around on your back and sitting on the ground to glass then I would save my money and get the outdoorsmans tripod. fatrooster.

I have a Bogen 3001BN and a Slik Carbon Pro 713. Both of them have a Bogen 3160 fluid head. The Outdoorsman makes a great tripod but for half the price and within an ounce or two the Slik Carbon Fiber 713 can't be beat. I think it actually goes higher than the Outdoorsman? The cheapest place to purchase them is B&H photo. The 613 is even lighter but doesn't go up as high. The Bogen's are great but on the heavy side. The Slik comes with a handy pouch that attaches to the legs so you can weigh it down with a few rocks if it gets windy. I've had mine for years with no problems. It's even taken a ride on an ATV rack that rolled down a very steep/rocky road 3 or 4 times and came out the other end with just a few scrapes. The Bogen 3160 fluid head is my favorite pan head. I've tried many others including the Jim White fluid head and the Outdoorsman pistol grip and still prefer the 3160. You can find these on ebay for around $50.00. Bogen stopped making them a few years ago. Good luck.

Carl

I have a Bogen Tracker tripod and for backpacking alld day on the back of my pack it is very HEAVY. Get a very light weight model. Also, pistol grip heads are very slippery when making fine tuned adjustments to your view. Get a fluid head. Tracker Tripod and fluid head are about $250 total on Eagle Optics website. If you have the money get the carbon model.

"One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

I have a big heavy bogen I never thought of for glassing, weighs more than everything else in my pack combined. Are you guys driving to your areas? Any websites for the outdoorsman tripods?

I have been Glassing for years with a Tripod. I was introduced to one made by Velabon a few years ago. All that I can say is WOW! I live in Arizona and do alot of coues hunting and this velabon is everything that a serious glasser needs.

I use a Velbon EFL4 which is sturdy, adjustable (three seperate leg positions) extends up to around 54". Weighs around 3 1/2 pounds. I would look into the carbon ones to reduce weight if I had to get another one.......p.s. I use the Jim White fluid head and really like it. I used to have the velbon pistol grip and it was way to heavy and did not move efficiently like the Jim White head........... Thanks, Allen Taylor......

SBH- I am with you. That heavy Bogen stays in the truck and only gets packed when it isn't hunting season. Scouting yes, but carrying the thing at 10-11,000' with a rifle, spotter, and day pack? No way.

Laugh all you guys want, but a $20 Vanguard tripod from WalMart weighs approx 2 lbs. I can thrash the thing for 2-3 years then get a new one. I can buy a fluid head off ebay for $15-25, but the regular head works fine for me. Yeah, it isn't cool to pack a trashy tripod, but it works and wieghs very little.

SHB, you can view the outdoorsmans tripods on outdoorsmans.com

They are in the Pheonix, Arizona area on North Cave Creek Road.

Packout, I also use the Walmart tripods. I have the small one and the medium one and they work good. Whatever works, works! fatrooster.

Outdoorsman is hands down the best tripod I have ever owned. Bogen is a good tripod and so are their heads but they are heavy and bulky. I use a Outdoorsman medium tripod with an outdoorsman head and a dual mount which allows me to calibrate my spotting scope to have the same field of view as my bino's. I can't say enough about how awesome this set up is. Total rig weights 4 lbs 13 oz.

Mike

couple years ago while gargare sale junking,
i came across a bunch of tripods,
mostaly cannon, for you know picture taking ones with the little built in leveling wheels and such.
low and behold same bolt/tread pattern as my scope.
had to spray paint it though.
it was a little flashy,
polished aluminum.

Never heard of outdoorsmans Tripods till I posted this question, checked out the website and saw that their prices were indeed designed for the serious hunter.

Never heard of them before last week, today I found one in a clearance bin for $140.00 including the head. Had I seen it two weeks ago I wouldn't even have known what I was looking at. Tahnks MM, what a good day!

LAST EDITED ON Sep-02-06 AT 08:23AM (MST)[p]Here's a little tip for all you guys using very lightweight tripods, especially when it's windy.

Carry a hunk of thin but strong twine with you and find a suitable 3-5 lb. rock. Wrap the cord around it and tie or loop it on just below where the head connects to the legs. It should hang down several inches between the legs and will provide enough weight to stabilize the 'pod. -TONY

I'll support that idea 100 percent.

also, whenever possible (always) keep the tripod as low as you can and dont use the center columb if it's windy, it will shake like hell and drive you nuts.

SHB, did you buy that Outdoorsmans tripod? And if you did how do you like it? And what hunting bin did you find a smokin' deal like that? fatrooster.

I bought this bogen 3001 bn thing last month, and the bogen pistol grip head at the same time. I got home and started putting things together. about two years ago when I bought my zeiss spotting scope from cabelas I got this "free" zeiss tripod also. this thing is a BIG tripod, over 7 foot height, etc- you gt the picture. I use it in camp to glass but not to carry afield as it would kill me- lol. anyway it would seem that bogen made the tripod for zeiss- I took the fluid head off of the big zeiss and it mounted right onto my bogen, like it was made to fit, and I put the pistol grip on the zeiss for camp use. oh yeah the big zeiss is also for sale........ hint hint hint......... 150 bucks- lol. anyway I have the lightweight tripod and the very very nice, easy fluid head setup just right now. all I need is another two freaking months to go by and I can go to colorado and use them- ha ha !
M WAITE, AZ.

I've tried a bunch and the one I now use for my spotting scope is a Slik which is very light and all metal, no plastic to break... It was about $40 and well worth it...

Stop Global Whining

Hey easymoney

Which Slik tripod are you using? I have a Slik that really works well but weighs about six pounds. I bought a few light weight tripods that just don't compare to my Slik. I sure would like to get a light weight tripod that is as steady and smooth as my Slik.

I also use a very compact Slik. I think I paid about $60 for at and as far as I'm concerned it can't be beat for carrying in the field. It only weighs about about a pound and a half, extends to about 43", and has retractable spiked feet. It also has a small ball head, which can be really nice when using some of the more compact scopes that are best suited for carrying. All said and done, my 15-30x50 Leupold that I mount on top of it along with the tripod weigh in at just over 3lbs.

http://www.thkphoto.com/products/slik/slik-ss3.html

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom